Major construction projects, being built with wood

Wow, beautiful! I'm sure the greenies in Oregon are going Ape Sh*t with this project.

Yeah, not so sure about this concept. Concrete and steel for me. All you have to do is own a house with Cedar siding and big wood decks in an area that's wet and has seasons and it doesn't take long to figure out the maintenance alone is ridiculous. Inside timber and wood trim, heck yea, structurally, no thanks on big buildings.

ME AND MINE ARE ALL IRONWORKERS SO THINK WE'LL PASS.

As a timberland owner I approve.

Interesting video

There goes the hardwood forest, wildlife, wildlife habitat, and good hunting areas. Soon to be cluttered by major undergrowth and pine trees.

And higher prices for the already higher cost of lumber.

There goes the hardwood forest, wildlife, wildlife habitat, and good hunting areas. Soon to be cluttered by major undergrowth and pine trees.

Most of these will be glue laminated beams that are used. The material from smaller diameter pines and hardwood grown in a wood plantation system and is in fact wood that would have been discarded as scrap in the past. These products are generally strong and more flexible than comparable materials while also being renewable. With the amount of treatment these products receive its more selecting the one that fits the project more than them all being unsuitable for the job. I manage a lot of property in the south that is both for recreation and timber production so the production of these materials has little to do with habitat degradation and more of needing to find a balanced approach on your individual property to fit your desires for both income and recreation. Also you will find the price of logs and lumber have very little correlation these days.

how long before the glue fails?

depends... on the conditions its exposed to... and the quality of the glue..

Ive got cutting boards that get exposed to huge amounts of beating and moisture.. the glue that binds the various woods is actually stronger than the wood itself..

but I'd think in places like Arizona or Oregon.. where you have some pretty extreme conditions with varying heat/cold/arid/wet, etc.. I'd be suspect..

Wow, beautiful! I'm sure the greenies in Oregon are going Ape Sh*t with this project.
Actually they are the ones pushing it. They see it as eco-friendly and having a smaller carbon footprint than concrete and steel.

Yeah, not so sure about this concept. Concrete and steel for me. All you have to do is own a house with Cedar siding and big wood decks in an area that's wet and has seasons and it doesn't take long to figure out the maintenance alone is ridiculous. Inside timber and wood trim, heck yea, structurally, no thanks on big buildings.
If you live in earthquake areas as I do you learn that wood buildings do not collapse in a quake. Concrete and steel buildings do. Brick buildings ate the worst

Not necessarily. We had the family ranch selectively cut a few years ago. Mature forests tend to be pretty sterile, at least if the dominate trees are firs and redwoods as ours are. With light able to enter your he undergrowth boomed, the deer population exploded as did other wildlife that depends on under story for food and shelter.

Depends on the type of wood, douglas fir is incredibly strong and red wood last ,and last, when I worked for Pacific lumber co, they actually pulled red wood logs out of ravines where it had been buried over time and washed it and milled it, . and trees regenerate steel doesnt. Wood is warm and acetic, steel is not, think jail cell. Couple of restaurants and sportsman [''''''w'''] remodeled to black and white, steel racks ect. looks like puke. the restaurant use to look like grand canyon style logs and stucco ect, now its like a N.Y. delli I wont go back. Each to his own but I prefer wood as in hemingway style lodges and log cabin style ranch houses.

@thriller,

Also you will find the price of logs and lumber have very little correlation these days.

The correlation is simple economics. Loggers supply the lumber mills want/ require more money for the timber they harvest. Lumber mills supply the building industry, furniture manufacturers, etc.with lumber want/ require more money for the lumber they produce. Building supply stores; ie Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., furniture companies, want/ require more money from housing contractors and the general public consumer.

Those in the supply chain needs to be able to meet expenses and make a profit to stay in business. Leaving the general public consumer to pay higher costs.

These products are generally strong and more flexible than comparable materials while also being renewable.

Brick, concrete and steel can be recycled and be renewable.

I'm not knocking the timber industry as I like the beauty of wood and working with wood. But at the sametime how many houses could have been built with the amount of lumber it is taking to build this one airport terminal,or these proposed high rises.

Most of these will be glue laminated beams that are used. The material from smaller diameter pines and hardwood grown in a wood plantation system and is in fact wood that would have been discarded as scrap in the past.

As an example according to the video construction of these maga buildings involves the use of a lot of beams using standard dimensional lumber not chips as in OSB board or laminates as in plywood.

As for reforestation after clear cutting:
I can only attest to what I have seen across North Carolina and Tennessee when, if any, reforestation is done; only pine and/or cedar saplings are replanted. No quality hardwoods are replanted. Only in one area in North Carolina did I see scrub oaks replanted.

The majority of the land is left barren to erode or recover on its own. Which usually means very few trees grow back. Mostly a variety of weed grasses, briars, kudzu, and scrub brush.

Not necessarily. We had the family ranch selectively cut a few years ago. Mature forests tend to be pretty sterile, at least if the dominate trees are firs and redwoods as ours are. With light able to enter your he undergrowth boomed, the deer population exploded as did other wildlife that depends on under story for food and shelter.

There's a major difference between select cut and tree farm logging, where only certain trees are logged, with minimum or no removal of untargeted trees and clear cut logging that totally removes all trees with no tree replanting, no debris removal, no erosion prevention (where applicable).

I'm a believer in select cutting and controlled burning as being the most beneficial. As these methods allow for the growth of established younger trees and vegetation. Controlled burning enhances nutrients into the soil that promotes growth and minimizes the risk of out of control forest fires.

Where I am at In Wisconsin, if you have recreational land that is in a “forestry” program the DNR controls what happens with your timber harvest.

Clear cut. That is what is prescribed for wildlife habitat. In the construction industry, if we disturb an acre (I think that is the magic number) of land you have to have an erosion control plan. All the silt fencing and tubes of straw, hay bales and such.

However, when the required clear cut happens a 160 acres of soil, on a hillside is torn to shreds. Every tree over 3” is cut down. I don’t quite understand the science the DNR uses. The washouts can be pretty deep.

When trees are selectively cut based on size and species that really isn't much of a problem. In Western Washington where I live now there are no redwoods, but the Doug firs, Red Cedars, Western white pine and Alders are the same. They clear cut here in blocks but are required to replant. Again, the clearing of the trees to allow the under story means food for deer and other wildlife. Few animals can live in mature forest where the canopy blocks out direct light to the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?