Looking for special buffalo hunt 2025

SFRanger7GP

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Wichita Falls TX or Colombia (It's Not Columbia!)
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member NRA and DSC, SCI, IOSH
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Namibia, Argentina, Bolivia, Panama, Italy, England, Scotland
I am looking for a buffalo hunt for 2025. I want to hunt a bull worthy of Rigby's Dagga Boy Award or being honored in the next edition of their book. I am retired and will be prepared to stay a month if necessary. My wife will be coming with me and will hunt other available species, but we only hunt together. I prefer to hunt during cooler weather, but I am flexible. Above all, we want to have fun and make great memories. Please review my posts on AH or PM me if you want to know more about me or have questions.

Eligible buffalo criteria:

Buffalo bulls only
: No cows from any buffalo species are eligible, only bulls that have surpassed breeding age.

Wild and free-ranging: Bulls must come from self-sustaining herds and be hunted in an ethical, fair chase, track, walk-and-stalk manner. The term “wild and free-ranging” signifies that these buffalo populations depend solely on their natural environment for sustenance. In some cases, concession operators may enhance water supply by drilling wells or building dams, which is deemed acceptable. Additionally, at the conclusion of the hunting season, some operators dispose of old, used salt from their skinning sheds which offers no nutritional value to the wildlife, and this practice is also considered acceptable.

No managed populations: Bulls from ranched, captive-bred, artificially managed, handled, sold, or traded populations, regardless of geographical location, size, or fencing, are ineligible for entry. Additionally, buffalo populations receiving any form of nutritional assistance during the year, such as access to improved pastures, hay, alfalfa, protein supplements, licks, or complex mineral mixtures to maintain body condition, enhance reproductive performance, or improve growth rate, will be considered ‘managed’ and, therefore, not eligible for participation in the competition.

Old dagga boys: The emphasis with be on ‘old’ and ‘broken-horned’ bulls who have surpassed breeding age.

The following links provide more information.

Safe hunting

I wanted to enter my buffalo into this contest but I found out about it later and don't think I would still be eligible, good luck. Old bulls have so much character and IMHO are the real deal.

I wanted to enter my buffalo into this contest but I found out about it later and don't think I would still be eligible, good luck. Old bulls have so much character and IMHO are the real deal.
You should still be eligible for 2025. Check the link and please share some photos.

Safe hunting

Kevin Robertson did a ‘who can shoot the oldest, nastiest bull’ competition at either Klaserie or Timbavati (they are next to each other, actually use the same gate). They shot some cool old bulls. Some were scrumcaps if I recall correctly. Of anyplace I’ve hunted, the Kruger reserves had the highest number of truly ancient buffalo.

It’s a lot more developed than a hunt in the Zambezi Valley or Upper Luangwa, so you really have to decide what experience you’re after in addition to what type of trophy you are targeting.

Kevin Robertson did a ‘who can shoot the oldest, nastiest bull’ competition at either Klaserie or Timbavati (they are next to each other, actually use the same gate). They shot some cool old bulls. Some were scrumcaps if I recall correctly. Of anyplace I’ve hunted, the Kruger reserves had the highest number of truly ancient buffalo.

It’s a lot more developed than a hunt in the Zambezi Valley or Upper Luangwa, so you really have to decide what experience you’re after in addition to what type of trophy you are targeting.
Thank you for the information. I want to hunt out of a nice camp but could care less if it is nice tents or the typical, nice South Africa style lodge. I had enough roughing it experiences in my earlier life, so I don’t have a void that I need to fill when it comes to rough outdoors experiences. :LOL:

I want an ancient bull. Broken, broomed horns or even a scrump camp, scarred all over, frayed ears, grey and balding hide….kind of like me if I was a buffalo. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We like South Africa and have a lot of friends there so I will be looking into those 2 areas.

Thank you for sharing your experience and advise.

Safe hunting

If I recall correctly, Timbavati was one of Tony Makris’s favorite areas for buffalo

Safe hunting

I think this is where my 2025 buffalo hunt is Timbavati ? I was heading to Victoria falls area , but wives are going with us and Zimbabwe lacks in activities for them ?
we do daggaboy hunt then kudo & Nyla , waterbuck
but am open for suggestions ( quickly before we send the deposit)

If I recall correctly, Timbavati was one of Tony Makris’s favorite areas for buffalo

Safe hunting

Correct. The genetics have to be seen to be believed. I’ve posted these before:

Image1712275294.820887.jpg
Image1712275330.679954.jpg
Image1712275349.621504.jpg

FYI, that bull is 42” wide to put the bosses in perspective. Biggest bosses I have seen on a bull.

I hunted in Makuya in 2018, behind the red veterinarian fence. I posted a hunting report on it, Hunting with Motsomi in Makuya here on this forum, picture there. I can't get my laptop to transfer any more pictures for some unknown reason at this time. The old bull was all scarred up, heavy bosses, 17+ inches, not that wide but the horns were staring to fracture and break down. The PH estimated him to be 14 years old. Like you said: ancient bull, broken, broomed horns, greying, scars all over, kind of like me. Good luck on your adventure. He cost me $20.00 on a bet with my son and my PH. I said that he wouldn't make SCI book minimum, but he did. Not that it mattered, it was all about the hunt and the adventure.

Good day sir.
I will be able to help you.
Will send you a PM message.
Regards
Derian Koekemoer

With the time you have on hand and would like to spend Timbavati and Klaserie will be a good choice or Caprivi strip you might even get the oldest most nastie looking buffalo there and even pay for him as a management bull.

If I was looking for this type of buffalo, I’d hunt one of the open reserves with Kruger or I’d go to bwabwata park in the Caprivi. Not all areas, even well known and well regarded buffalo areas, can reliably produce the age class bulls these areas can.

I am looking for a buffalo hunt for 2025. I want to hunt a bull worthy of Rigby's Dagga Boy Award or being honored in the next edition of their book. I am retired and will be prepared to stay a month if necessary. My wife will be coming with me and will hunt other available species, but we only hunt together. I prefer to hunt during cooler weather, but I am flexible. Above all, we want to have fun and make great memories. Please review my posts on AH or PM me if you want to know more about me or have questions.

Eligible buffalo criteria:

Buffalo bulls only
: No cows from any buffalo species are eligible, only bulls that have surpassed breeding age.

Wild and free-ranging: Bulls must come from self-sustaining herds and be hunted in an ethical, fair chase, track, walk-and-stalk manner. The term “wild and free-ranging” signifies that these buffalo populations depend solely on their natural environment for sustenance. In some cases, concession operators may enhance water supply by drilling wells or building dams, which is deemed acceptable. Additionally, at the conclusion of the hunting season, some operators dispose of old, used salt from their skinning sheds which offers no nutritional value to the wildlife, and this practice is also considered acceptable.

No managed populations: Bulls from ranched, captive-bred, artificially managed, handled, sold, or traded populations, regardless of geographical location, size, or fencing, are ineligible for entry. Additionally, buffalo populations receiving any form of nutritional assistance during the year, such as access to improved pastures, hay, alfalfa, protein supplements, licks, or complex mineral mixtures to maintain body condition, enhance reproductive performance, or improve growth rate, will be considered ‘managed’ and, therefore, not eligible for participation in the competition.

Old dagga boys: The emphasis with be on ‘old’ and ‘broken-horned’ bulls who have surpassed breeding age.

The following links provide more information.

Safe hunting

Niassa Contact Paul Stones

As mentioned it seems like Uganda was the go to for many old buff? Has this changed? Has increased hunting pressure reduced the average age bulls there?

Caprivi strip as many have said would fit your bill.

I always see a lot of scrum caps killed all over the caprivi strip. Might be the German hunters that flock Namibia but also shows how many old bulls the strip carries.

They also seem to have some very nice camps in the caprivi as you mention is a requirement.

Cant wait for a hunt report of your buff

What about Uganda? That one video showed an incredible amount of old dagga boys.

As mentioned it seems like Uganda was the go to for many old buff? Has this changed? Has increased hunting pressure reduced the average age bulls there?
I might be wrong, but I thought I saw some discussion when this award first came out that buffalo hunting in Uganda was considered too easy and trophies from there weren’t really considered. Zimbabwe can be a hard tracking hunt. Uganda seems primarily a spot and stalk hunt with a lot of opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.