Looking for a Checklist

Apologies Tank. Should have known you would have Duct on your list

Everything that you need can be bought (cheaply) in South Africa. You need x3 changes of clothes, one of which you wear while travelling (rely on the camp washing service). A warm coat for the morning and evening, a hat, and dark glasses. A x7 or x8 power pair of binoculars.

I stop off on the way from the airport at Dis-chem or Clicks (local chemists) and buy: a plastic comb; razors and shaving soap; shampoo and soap; toothpaste and toothbrush; nailbrush and nail scissors; foam earplugs (I'm a poof about my hearing); a small pot of vasoline for my lips; and a tube of magnesium 'fizzies' to keep me regular.

From Safari Outdoor, or Wildman, I buy the ammunition - it must be reserved in advance - a boresnake and a can of WD-40.

Anything remaining at the end of the trip is left behind when I fly back.

You can buy an electrical plug converter on Amazon, at the airport, or in South Africa. Make sure that you have the cables for your computer/ mobile telephone.

If you are taking ammunition, I found the Einhell S35 power tool case cheaper and lighter than the Pelicase alternative.

Useful things to have include: a 'Royal Robbins' field guide vest: these have huge pockets, and expand like an accordion, so you can stuff them with your clothes or souvenirs and they are exempt from the weight and baggage allowances; a roll of stretch cling film for your luggage - Johannesburg airport is notorious for theft from luggage, so wrap your suitcases in this stuff - and a pair of digital luggage scales (available from Amazon) to check the weight of your luggage before slapping it on the airline's scales.

Remember that optics, computers, and other high-value items go in your carry-on baggage. Personally, I found combination padlocks easier to deal with than key padlocks: you can set them all for the same code and don't have to worry about keys.

@Ridgewalker What are the details on your green jacket?

It looks good.

I don't have a packing list, but I pack light and season dependent. My checked luggage, I don't put a lock on as I don't pack anything in that bag that cannot be easily replaced. My last trip, somewhere, DFW, DOH, or JNB (I suspect JNB) my bag was opened and rummaged through, but nothing missing. I know because they left my toiletry kit was opened and left unzipped. Do I sometimes forget things, yes. This last trip its was a flashlight and my Gautrain card, but I managed without those things - flashlight on iPhone and did not take the train to Sandton or Rosebank and just stayed in the Airport.

The most important thing to take is your own personal pharmacy. If you change in Europe or the UK, you can pack about anything. If you change in the Middle East you have to be careful what you bring. For example, Sudafed is a controlled substance and you can find yourself on an extended vacation away from home.

Your gun case will need a lock in every lock hole.

Good day Gent's,

A friend (BC Tal) and I are heading to South Africa (From Canada) in August 2024. This is our first Safari, and I was wondering if anyone has a word file checklist of things to go over. I have been reading the threads about travel, but just though it was likely that some of you had build a checklist.

Thanks all.
We all have our preferences, for me, I make sure 90% of the clothes I will be needing on my safari go with me in a back pack. On 3 occasions, my luggage did not arrive, but I was well prepared because I had the essentials with me. The bulk of my checked luggage is for ammo, snacks for myself, snacks and such to give out to guides/trackers, etc. Oh yes, I always take a power bank, leave it plugged in while I am out hunting, that way it stays charged up, then when I come back in from hunting, and it's load shedding time, I can still charge my phone and flashlight. I hope you have an awesome trip!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyHan

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….