Looking For 600 NE Rifle

The Jeffery 600 has the best balance of any 600 I have every held or fired. All the 600's I have shot or held are too muzzle heavy. Leonard got the barrel profile just right as the breeches are massive and a quick taper to the fairly thin muzzles.

EJ

I have to ask, what it is that you admire so much about Searcy double rifles? Just out of curiosity
Just think about it. In an industry which used to be (and still is) exclusively dominated by mostly English and a few Continental European gun makers... Butch was the very first American gun maker to start making double rifles. Today, there's another gent, I think. Named Ralph Badenhorst (hopefully, I spelt it right?). But that's about it. You won't find any other American builders of custom made double rifles.

I don't know how old you are, but I am old enough to still remember the time when Butch first started building double rifles. I had just come back from a safari in Tanzania. It was the talk amongst all of our friends. An American building double rifles. We always knew that American custom rifle makers were talented beyond comparison. But this was mostly for bolt guns and lever guns. For an American to get into the double rifle making business, was truly revolutionary. And he's actually persevered, which makes his accomplishment even more noteworthy. He also builds his own actions. Just compared that, with the short-lived American "John Rigby & Co." company who were building double rifles on Merkel actions.

Yes, I know that some of his rifles have had hiccups in the past. And some people don't like some of Butch's policies. But generally speaking, he builds a solid product. And on top of that, he's a Vietnam war veteran. That increases my respect towards him (being a war veteran myself). I actually met him in 2003 in California. And I immediately took a liking to the man. I would happily order a double rifle from him.

Last edited:
Just think about it. In an industry which used to be (and still is) exclusively dominated by mostly English and a few Continental European gun makers... Butch was the very first American gun maker to start making double rifles. Today, there's another gent, I think. Named Ralph Badenhorst (hopefully, I spelt it right?). But that's about it. You won't find any other American builders of custom made double rifles.

I don't know how old you are, but I am old enough to still remember the time when Butch first started building double rifles. I had just come back from a safari in Tanzania. It was the talk amongst all of our friends. An American building double rifles. We always knew that American custom rifle makers were talented beyond comparison. But this was mostly for bolt guns and lever guns. For an American to get into the double rifle making business, was truly revolutionary. And he's actually persevered, which makes his accomplishment even more noteworthy.

Yes, I know that some of his rifles have had hiccups in the past. And some people don't like some of Butch's policies. But generally speaking, he builds a solid product. And on top of that, he's a Vietnam war veteran. That increases my respect towards him (being a war veteran myself). I actually met him in 2003 in California. And I immediately took a liking to the man. I would happily order a double rifle from him.
Understood (y)

Here’s another American maker http://www.bradshawgunandrifle.com/

Tim, have you considered the Westley Richards Forrest Rifle? I don't know if it is even for sale, but I should think that would fit your bill nicely.
AECAC192-0427-4D5C-ACC1-C657D0F2A2A5.jpeg
2717E8D2-6C72-4B08-A006-F725CDC070C3.jpeg
685D2A17-B60A-4971-9B87-C80D01E60C03.jpeg
2717E8D2-6C72-4B08-A006-F725CDC070C3.jpeg
685D2A17-B60A-4971-9B87-C80D01E60C03.jpeg

I don't know how old you are, but I am old enough to still remember the time when Butch first started building double rifles. I had just come back from a safari in Tanzania. It was the talk amongst all of our friends. An American building double rifles. We always knew that American custom rifle makers were talented beyond comparison. But this was mostly for bolt guns and lever guns. For an American to get into the double rifle making business, was truly revolutionary. And he's actually persevered, which makes his accomplishment even more noteworthy. He also builds his own actions. Just compared that, with the short-lived American "John Rigby & Co." company who were building double rifles on Merkel actions.

Ralph Badenhorst is in SA not USA...

Isn’t there one for sale at h and h in London at present?
DC7F71D9-C591-4280-8BB1-26B6BCA588E9.jpeg

My apologies. I confused him with Baily Bradshaw.

Ken Owens is or was building double rifles in very heavy calibers.

Well..the .600 RB Rodda offered by Lewis Drake is/was priced to $400.000,-
Kind of madness if you ask me...fantastic rifle though.. and its regulated for the .600-110-900 load..

The Jeffery rifles where regulated for the 100 grain (cordite) load, that give about 1850fps (at best) out of a 24" barrel..

The modern Kynoch (Kynamco) ammo available is equal to the 110 cordite load..

I tried a couple of these Kynoch rounds of a 13,2lbs .600 double..quite lively recoil..

Tim, have you considered the Westley Richards Forrest Rifle? I don't know if it is even for sale, but I should think that would fit your bill nicely.
View attachment 507690View attachment 507692View attachment 507693View attachment 507692View attachment 507693
Wow
View attachment 507690View attachment 507692View attachment 507693View attachment 507692View attachment 507693
Wow, Kevin, thank you. Even though this rifle does not have side plates, it is gorgeous. This might be out of my price range. I will look into it.

Well..the .600 RB Rodda offered by Lewis Drake is/was priced to $400.000,-
Kind of madness if you ask me...fantastic rifle though.. and its regulated for the .600-110-900 load..

The Jeffery rifles where regulated for the 100 grain (cordite) load, that give about 1850fps (at best) out of a 24" barrel..

The modern Kynoch (Kynamco) ammo available is equal to the 110 cordite load..

I tried a couple of these Kynoch rounds of a 13,2lbs .600 double..quite lively recoil..
Yes, Lewis has come down substantially on the price. (currently 275K) 400K is more than I would be willing to pay.

Ken Owen is a builder I think.

I also own a DR caliber 600 Nitro Express built by Auguste Francotte in 1926. It's a working rifle with clear signs of use that was for this reason much cheaper. Nobody wanted it so I took pity on it and I bought it. You don't need anything like that, but it's interesting to shoot with.

I have also shot Kynoch ammo in it, but I usually load the cartridge at the level of the 100gr Cordite load.

IMG_0001 (2).jpeg

IMG_0005 (5).jpeg

Wow..that is an interesting rifle grand veneur....may we see more photos of it...? What load is it regulated for..?

Wow..that is an interesting rifle grand veneur....may we see more photos of it...? What load is it regulated for..?

I know little about this rifle. It was by an arms trader in a suburb of Paris and came from the possession of an arms collector. Hunters never saw it, only shooters who were not interested in it.

As far as the regulation is concerned, the Belgian proof marks doesn't say anything like that, only that FMJ Bullets can be used. I suspect that he did it with 100g of Cordite, like most of these weapons.

I know little about this rifle. It was by an arms trader in a suburb of Paris and came from the possession of an arms collector. Hunters never saw it, only shooters who were not interested in it.

As far as the regulation is concerned, the Belgian proof marks doesn't say anything like that, only that FMJ Bullets can be used. I suspect that he did it with 100g of Cordite, like most of these weapons.

Nice..what does it weigh..? Did it regulate with the modern Kynoch ammo you fired..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff19D04

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,