Leupold CDS Feedback

CDS caps are an expensive marketing gimmick, they are only accurate for the exact cartridge used under the exact environmental conditions with exactly the same shooting position as you set them up for; if anything changes then the CDS caps will not be accurate. The better solution is to learn how to properly range your target and adjust the scope.

If you want a shortcut to field marksmanship then you'd be better off buying a scope with bullet drop compensation (BDC) from a manufacturer that provides software that calculates the drops of the reticle marks. With the software, a BDC scope will never be out of sync with changes in cartridges or environmental conditions (as long as the shooter recalculates the BDC drops whenever his equipment or shooting conditions change).

You can accomplish the same results as a BDC scope by simply buying a good scope with a graduated reticle. MOA is easier to work with mathematically and the adjustments are quicker but Mil is more precise and produces more accuracy at long range. BDC marks are simply reference marks on the reticle, a graduated reticle can serve the same function simply by identifying the retcle marks that represent fixed ranges.

Do the CDS turrets lock? If they don’t lock I’d worry about them moving when carrying the rifle and and brushing it on your leg or hunting coat.

Do the CDS turrets lock? If they don’t lock I’d worry about them moving when carrying the rifle and and brushing it on your leg or hunting coat.
Yes they lock. I love mine and never had an issue. My friends expensive night force doesn’t even lock. I can’t imagine hunting with a turret that can freely spin.

Some lock and some do not-depends on the make and model. Some also have zero stop while others do not. Most modern versions have both-
With leupold your first cds is free-you must supply them with the specifics and then they build it for you. If you want others, they build them for you-for example mine are built for the rifle range I shoot at which is 5500 feet. So when I went to South Africa, I had one built for near sea level on the east cape-1500 ft worked fine. Leupold is currently having a sale on custom turrets for roughly $60. I have used Kenton industries for my other brand scopes.
I have a good rangefinder and don’t own a kestrel. Takes too much time unless you are shooting targets. . .

Last edited:
I apologize for my earlier post. I thought CDS referred to the zero stop turret system. I see now it refers to the custom dials. Obviously I do not have one of these on a MK5!

200 yard zero is all you need in my opinion, couldn’t imagine dialing with a 375 off sticks in the heat of battle, then dialing it back in case it gets up close and personal, then adjusting the mag. No thanks
All my rifles are zeroed at 100 yards. On the sticks my PH called out the range 286 yards, I dialed up the correct elevation. Hit the Zebra, fell over that was the end of the story.

The difference is, I'm practicing dialing every match I shoot, it comes naturally. The CDS is okay for inside of 400ish yards? I would have to run the numbers. I'll just dial, knowing what I'm aiming at I'll hit where I want.

You can accomplish the same results as a BDC scope by simply buying a good scope with a graduated reticle. MOA is easier to work with mathematically and the adjustments are quicker but Mil is more precise and produces more accuracy at long range. BDC marks are simply reference marks on the reticle, a graduated reticle can serve the same function simply by identifying the retcle marks that represent fixed ranges.
I think you mean the opposite?

MOA is a finer measurement.

Mil is a faster adjustment in my mind. That is just my personal observation.

I still haven't cashed in my CDS turret ticket yet. In fact, I have two. I think they are a really cool feature but I prefer to range the scope and create a dope sheet with the dial and click counts. I think if you are someone hunting with the same ammo, in the same elevation, at the same place all the time; with that gun/scope, it's probably a cool feature. For example, if you're just hunting pronghorn in your backyard with that gun/scope all the time? Probably a neat thing to have.

That's also a bit of a quirky round to match with CDS. Knowing Leupold, they probably have it in their database, though. I can't really see using it for shots 200 and under. If anything, get it, since its free, and test it out at the range first. See how accurate it is.

I had the CDS on my VX6 and 7mm set to zero at 200yds, don’t really need to use unless I get out 300yds plus so I’ve only used it hunting one time but have a lot of range time out to 500. On my VX6 and .375 Ruger it’s set at 100yds and I’ve never used it hunting but range time out to 300yds.
When I was having the dial made for the 7mag I asked about the elevation problem, I live at sea level and was going to hunt Wyoming. They said it wouldn’t be a problem unless hunting sheep or goats at extreme elevation.
On my .375 Ruger elevation didn’t make any difference, living at sea level and hunting buffalo at sea level in the Zambezi delta of Mozambique.
It was easy to use the only time I used it hunting, dialed 450 and dropped the buck in his tracks, my pronghorn dropped as well at 200 and both hit exactly where I aimed.

These are a couple of Pronghorns taken in Wyoming a few years ago. Tina and I both have the CDS dial on our scopes. Both rifles use handloaded Barnes X bullets, her's in .257 Roberts with 100 grain, mine in .308 with 150 grainers. With our Leica rangefinder binoculars, it only takes a second for one of us to call range, adjust the dial to that range and shoot.

Even if I had to do all of that myself, it's still faster than phone apps, mil dots, making charts, etc. Now before someone tells me I need to just learn the mil dot system, etc., just know that I was SOTIC Qualified level 1. For the average Hunter, the CDS dial is the better deal.
IMG_20221101_082214.jpg

They work as advertised and when you buy a scope with CDS offered you get one free. I have no idea how anyone can describe that as "expensive."
On the VX6 it is locking.
If you do not like the CDS cap after you get it, or you switch to a different round and do not want to use it, you can always put the original cap back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClevelandV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)