Let’s play a game, shall we

IMG_1114.jpeg

The metal object

Just a follow up on the broken case extractor and the combination tool. It was discovered that in the heat of battle under field conditions, cases would tend to stick or even separate in the chamber of the Trapdoor. Dirt, heat, blackpowder fouling and the old, thin balloon head cases all contributing to the problem. There have been some artifact cartridge cases found at the Battle of Little Bighorn site (ca 1876) that indicate some stuck cases. Researchers don't know if US soldiers during the battle were having to use their knives to extract the cases or the rifles were picked up and used by Indians who later had to pry cases out of chambers.

For interest and context, here is a McKeever, 4th Model, used for carrying 20, 45-70 cartridges along with a couple of tools. The tool "pop out" with extractor inserted is shown in the bottom pic.

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

boot puller?
It’s from a rod line operated oil lease. It connects rods to the power unit. And elsewhere I would imagine. The piece of wood in the picture I posted is worn from keeping rods off the ground. You can see them in use in this video:
This is what’s going on on the other end of that:

Last edited:
Un-beeee-leevable, that's cool as heck! I've never seen a multiline pump setup like that. When I was little I thought some of our belt driven irritation lifts and pumps were odd. :) Those hook links look like they were designed to be easily connected and disconnected by hand- therefore the shape?... although not really clear in he video.

Who knows what this is?
KIMG0879.jpg

Is it a piece of something larger?
It's a component of a larger item, yes. It's actually a couple inches long, though. I neglected to put a coin in for scale.

Un-beeee-leevable, that's cool as heck! I've never seen a multiline pump setup like that. When I was little I thought some of our belt driven irritation lifts and pumps were odd. :) Those hook links look like they were designed to be easily connected and disconnected by hand- therefore the shape?... although not really clear in he video.
Yep it’s pretty neat. Rod lines setups are pretty rare these days. We did have a lease that was on a rod line as little as 6-7 years ago.

Correct. All you have to do to shut a unit down is disconnect the links by removing that piece but it requires another tool that I’ll assume is called a “suitcase” because it acts just like another tool that’s used in a different way.

A suitcase generally is 12-24” inches long, mostly made from 1 1/2-2” pipe with around a 1” wide section removed from the entire length of it and has a roughly 3” “flange” of plate steel welded to each end. It’s used to create slack in the rods so you can easily remove the connecter. I’ll try and post a picture of one today and maybe a video.

Here’s another video that’s a little better. Same lease as the first video and I didn’t realize it but it is in fact our lease! My coworker had a video of him shutting it down for the last time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ValGodfrey

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)