Leopard Optics

That thing is about the perfect scope for anything honestly. I have had one of those on my radar for a while
I can also testify that kudu and warthog don’t like it a bit either.

These Steiner 2x10s are never talked about. Insane eye relief and so bright.

I personally have a non illuminated version on my 308

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 11.51.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 11.51.33 AM.png
    867.7 KB · Views: 23
That thing is about the perfect scope for anything honestly. I have had one of those on my radar for a while

Swarovski 1.7-13.3x42 z8i

The interesting aspect of a 338LM, it's parent case is the 416 Rigby. It is a lot of powder to burn for what you are trying to accomplish. With a 21" barrel, I would think it would throw one heck of a fireball. It is something I would test before I committed.

Swarovski 1.7-13.3x42 z8i

The interesting aspect of a 338LM, it's parent case is the 416 Rigby. It is a lot of powder to burn for what you are trying to accomplish. With a 21" barrel, I would think it would throw one heck of a fireball. It is something I would test before I committed.
It probably will do that. It is likely I will couple a buffalo or tuskless with this so the more i think about it the more likely it is that the trusty old 470 double/416rigby combo will go with me and I might just load some soft 416 bullets. Might be a good opportunity to test out some 416 cutting edge raptors

After using many scopes, I have settled on Leupold 2x10 with firedot on both my .308 and .375H&H. When I shot my leopard way back in 1988 I did so using a 1.5x5 Leupold. Leopard hunting is in close quarters, I'd be more interested in light gathering than anything else.

It probably will do that. It is likely I will couple a buffalo or tuskless with this so the more i think about it the more likely it is that the trusty old 470 double/416rigby combo will go with me and I might just load some soft 416 bullets. Might be a good opportunity to test out some 416 cutting edge raptors
The only problem with that is the potential for major pelt damage. Not as big a deal if you don't want a full body mount.

Whatever you decide upon will kill a leopard. As will any standard American deer caliber like a .270 or .308. For shooting a leopard off bait, a .243 actually might be close to ideal. I shot mine with a .338 WM because it was what I brought for PG and used a 250 gr SP to minimize expansion at a shot taken at around sixty yards.

I am pretty certain I am switching my 2026 hunt from elephant to leopard. With that being said I am curious if there is a particular scope that is popular with the cat hunters. I know there are a few of you all that do a lot of leopard hunting. I am assuming large objective, medium powered, best glass you can afford is the general consensus. I was just curious to know if there was a particular one that I should be on the look out for?

I'd say there is about a 95% chance I'll shoot a 338 lapua. Probbaly with a 300 grain accubonds or shoot my 416 rigby with a soft 350 grain bullet. I have a bunch of speer 350 grain that should work well if I used it. Most likely it will be a 338 bullet of some flavor or another unless the 375 or bigger rule applies to leopards too.
Sniper I'm not going to get into the round you want to hunt with. All I'll say is there have been thousands of Leopard killed with a 30.06/300wm/wsm with 165-180 grain bullets.

This is just my opinion and my opinion only. I've always heard since I was a little boy buy the best glass you can afford. Here in my state we can hunt deer 1 hour past sunset and low light scopes are critical here.

I went on my first leopard hunt in 2021 with a Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory with an IR. No problem seeing the cat. The problem was hyena running him off the bait. I've shot a ton of deer in very low light 45-50 minutes after sunset with my Zeiss. Clean kills.

I'm going back next June with a Schmidt & Bender 4-16x56 Polar T96 German #4 red dot IR. It's actually brighter in low light than the Zeiss. You won't need a ton of magnification. 16 is way more than enough for Leopard. All the baits we put out and we put out like 18 baits. My PH never had us more than 60 yards from any bait site. I think you're on the right track. I would just suggest something with a 50-56 mm objective and red dot sites are really game changers. The reason I'm using this rifle is we're going to be hunting for plains game. Kudu, zebra, warthogs ect ect.

You can't go wrong with S&B, Zeiss, Leopold, Swaro, Vortex

Last edited:
Sniper I'm not going to get into the round you want to hunt with. All I'll say is there have been thousands of Leopard killed with a 30.06/300wm/wsm with 165-180 grain bullets.

This is just my opinion and my opinion only. I've always heard since I was a little boy buy the best glass you can afford. Here in my state we can hunt deer 1 hour past sunset and low light scopes are critical here.

I went on my first leopard hunt in 2021 with a Zeiss 3-12x56 Victory with an IR. No problem seeing the cat. The problem was hyena running him off the bait. I've shot a ton of deer in very low light 45-50 minutes after sunset with my Zeiss. Clean kills.

I'm going back next June with a Schmidt & Bender 4-16x56 Polar T96 German #4 red dot IR. It's actually brighter in low light than the Zeiss. You won't need a ton of magnification. 16 is way more than enough for Leopard. All the baits we put out and we put out like 18 baits. My PH never had us more than 60 yards from any bait site. I think you're on the right track. I would just suggest something with a 50-56 mm objective and red dot sites are really game changers. The reason I'm using this rifle is we're going to be hunting for plains game. Kudu, zebra, warthogs ect ect.

You can't go wrong with S&B, Zeiss, Leopold, Swaro, Vortex
Thanks man. That is right in the ballpark that I'm looking at. 56mm in one of the aforementioned flavors I think is the way to go. Magnification isn't much of an issue.

It's a very short shot. Whatever you like, excepting an old Tasco plastic 4x20 lol. I'd say a Trijicon 1-6x30 for starters (no batteries to worry about at the moment of truth!). Leupold makes same. I'm not sure crystal Euro glass is required for such a SHORT shot. One could take that shot with open sights and night-glow paint or the tru-glo inserts w/ PH holding a flashlight behind you! Just put the bullet where it belongs and lights out. IF Wby (on cats) it's prob lights out no matter where it affects the nervous system...This is def a suburban backyard sniper shot. A big 338 is a great round to hit a cat with. However, it's also comical because of the distance involved. How does the gun shoot now (at 50 yds?) Any bullet will do on cats out of that! Low SD Nos BT or std Berger would be fine-200 gr. Just ensure there isn't a whole leap lined up behind them, as the fees are going to mount!!! I'd use my 338 A-Sq (same concept, even more V and E! also super-accurate)

Last edited:
Leopard is likely a low-light situation, with limited opportunity, and expensive...

Buy the best optics you can afford. Practice in dim light situations.
Make certain you can operate the rifle in the dark.

Like others here, I love Z6i/Z8i in those conditions.

(Also, agree that S&B Polar is quite bright - although large.)

Pay attention to Redleg about calibers.

Best of luck!

I am pretty certain I am switching my 2026 hunt from elephant to leopard. With that being said I am curious if there is a particular scope that is popular with the cat hunters. I know there are a few of you all that do a lot of leopard hunting. I am assuming large objective, medium powered, best glass you can afford is the general consensus. I was just curious to know if there was a particular one that I should be on the look out for?
To me having an illuminated scope is critical. My leopard hunt is I July 2025. I will be using a Swaro Z5I in 3-10 42 optical for my Rigby in 275 Rigby with 154 grain Oryx bullets

I would look at the Swarovski z5i line 2.4-12x50.

I’ve found that the greater the magnification range the worse the light transmission.

Get a .375 to use for cat, plains game, and buff/ elephant if you need a backup to the .470.

I do love the Swarovski Z6i line, as well as the Leupold Vx-6 but for a low light scope the Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 with illuminated reticle is just amazing. It’s incredibly bright and the dot is wonderfully fine and precise. I honestly don’t think there’s anything better.

Mine is a switch lug. While I do have a long barrel for it. I also have a 21" barrel that I run with no muzzle brake and I load rounds doan around 2575fps with the 300 grain. With the short barrel it waters it down to about 338 win mag level
If you have a shot. You are going to have a client and a PH in a blind who are deaf and night blind. A .270 with Walmart ammo would be more approprate.

I always go back to the toughest on an African hunt.No sacrificing resolution or eye relief. NightForce NX-8 1-8. Illuminated!I have only killed two Leopards but have set up a lot of blinds. 300 Win mag!

I just shot my 3rd leopard on August 30th, exactly 4 weeks ago. I primarily hunt with a .338 Win Mag for everything except big stuff like buffalo or hippo, so that’s what I shot. 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. It is topped with a Leupold VX5HD in 2-10x42mm with Firedot reticle. A 30-06 or .270/7x57 might be the ideal leopard cartridges. You don’t need a big cartridge as a properly shot leopard is easy to kill.

The shot was 47 yards and the Firedot is a total game changer as far as I’m concerned. I think that scope is one of the top choices for leopards. Personally, I think the Bearclaw is an excellent leopard bullet as they’re softer up-front than an A frame. They‘re more like a Nosler Partition up front, but with a solid shank. You want your bullet to not only expand violently but also exit. Keep in mind that a leopard isn’t very thick from side to side, maybe 18” but usually less. That bullet did massive damage. The exit hole was almost as big as a quarter.

Last edited:
I always go back to the toughest on an African hunt.No sacrificing resolution or eye relief. NightForce NX-8 1-8. Illuminated!I have only killed two Leopards but have set up a lot of blinds. 300 Win mag!

I have had several of those scopes. They are extremely reliable, they are not the best in low light conditions IMHO.

I have one, it is the best optic I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaMaur64

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….