Laymen: what have they asked you?

Well, I live and grew up 12 Miles North of Berkeley. We own an art gallery and have artists studios right on either side of my personal office. Outside their artist studio’s hangs representations off their work, outside my office/above my door hangs a massive shoulder mount Wildebeest and a sign under it that reads “HUNTER”.

I’ve gotten all the standard questions and then some…

Most of the time I tell them I’m a conservationist and go to Africa to feed hungry Africans. The smart ones figure it out. If they push it, I’ll ask them how many hungry people have they personally provided food for?!

If they are sincere and want to know the truth, I’ll take the time to explain, if not, I have a pretty effective way of coming across that generally warns people that they are at risk of getting told to go F^ck themselves; in a “nonbinary” way…

Princess Bride and I hosted an engagement party for a young couple we have gotten to know from our local church. On the day of the party Princess Bride had a family emergency that required her to be out of town so I hosted the party by myself.

The bride to be is member of a prominent sorority at the University of Arkansas. This resulted in a bunch of college girls in my house. The groom to be did not bring as many friends, but all those young men stayed to help clean up afterwards.
One very pleasant young lady came up to me and said, “It is cool that you have gone to Africa and hunted. I hear you have hunted an elephant. Do you have any pictures?” At that moment, every person in the house was looking at me. I said I did and asked if they would like to see my favorite picture from my elephant hunt? The young lady said yes! I could tell there were some reservations in the facial expressions of some of the other guests. The picture below is what I cast up on the TV for all to see. The picture shows the oldest women in the village getting the first distribution of meat. We spent the next 20 minutes talking with that group of college kids about hunting and sustainable conservation.

1704372170880.jpeg

Always be prepared to discuss hunting. Have a set of pictures from your hunt ready to show people how hunting is a vital part of sustainable conservation.

When people at church as about my trips to Africa, I tell them that I am going to help feed people and put people to work.

Well, I live and grew up 12 Miles North of Berkeley. We own an art gallery and have artists studios right on either side of my personal office. Outside their artist studio’s hangs representations off their work, outside my office/above my door hangs a massive shoulder mount Wildebeest and a sign under it that reads “HUNTER”.

I’ve gotten all the standard questions and then some…

Most of the time I tell them I’m a conservationist and go to Africa to feed hungry Africans. The smart ones figure it out. If they push it, I’ll ask them how many hungry people have they personally provided food for?!

If they are sincere and want to know the truth, I’ll take the time to explain, if not, I have a pretty effective way of coming across that generally warns people that they are at risk of getting told to go F^ck themselves; in a “nonbinary” way…

I thought you were going to say that some art collectors thought your office housed the HUNTER BIDEN COLLECTION.

:E Happy:

And from Australian hunters/ shooters only: I only shoot feral animals

Feral is very subjective. Some considerfree range goats Feral while those who trap and muster them for export prefer the term "Rangeland"

Every shooter I know likes to shoot feral cats and remove them from the environment.

In support of other Aussies I will add that our native animals are protected. Most of our hunting opportunity is hunting pigs and goats if you are looking at geographical distribution.

Deer species in Australia were introduced for sport and considered game animals under some legislation. They are also targets of government culling operations in other areas. Deer are slowly increasing their range and distribution.

I'm in small town and dealt with many rural people so the majority do only shoot what they consider pests and many who are living in town still shoot all the pests or feral animals they can access.

I grew up shooting pest species but will hunt pigs on foot and hunt Deer when I can.

Africa is different than I imagined. I could not afford the full bag 30 day hunt but the 10 animals I culled were utilised for food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course. (y)

In USA, there is more guns then people. Sport related shooting activities and recreational shooting is popular, not to mention CCW community.

Some of the most anti-African hunting people I know, I have met at my local Sporting Clays course. Of course, they are also Democrats that have voted for Biden, so at least they are consistent. :rolleyes:

Some of the most anti-African hunting people I know, I have met at my local Sporting Clays course. Of course, they are also Democrats that have voted for Biden, so at least they are consistent. :rolleyes:
Any person owning a firearm in the USA and voting for the Democrats, is exactly like an American Indian voting for George Custer.

Any person owning a firearm in the USA and voting for the Democrats, is exactly like an American Indian voting for George Custer.
Agreed

I once had a medical person ask me "do you feel safe at home?" I responded that I lived in New Orleans, and that there was a nation-wide ammunition shortage. I then asked: "How safe would you feel?"
Had a VA doc ask me that, wasn't going to expound on my hardware. The neighborhood is safer.

I have heard a lot of statements and have been asked a lot of questions about hunting. It comes down to two things: stupidity and ignorance. I educate the ignorant however, you just cannot fix stupid. This one couple were chowing down on their chick-fil-a sandwiches telling me how they could not imagine killing an innocent animal. I asked them this: Do you think they took that chicken that you’re eating out dancing before they slaughtered it for you to eat? Do you think the cows and pigs that you buy at the grocery store just die of old age?
They had no words.
One non hunter at an SCI convention at a local chapter was being particularly obnoxious. When she inquired I told her she was clearly too stupid to step out of her tiny little perspective to have a meaningful conversation about it. She got all red faced and walked off.

FUNNY AF!!!!

Not sure of this one. Custer was a reckless idiot at the battle of the Little Bighorn, separated his command and marched str into a much larger force. But definitely get the idea.

I once had a medical person ask me "do you feel safe at home?" I responded that I lived in New Orleans, and that there was a nation-wide ammunition shortage. I then asked: "How safe would you feel?"
@SaintPanzer
Just put a notice on your door saying,
Due to ammunition shortages warning shot will no longer be given.
Bob

That’ll be a cold day in hell! But I’d love to see it.
@R eight
He'll will freeze over and I still won't like the 243.
As I have said before if the 243 was the last centre fire on earth I would start using a muzzle loader.
Bob

Princess Bride and I hosted an engagement party for a young couple we have gotten to know from our local church. On the day of the party Princess Bride had a family emergency that required her to be out of town so I hosted the party by myself.

The bride to be is member of a prominent sorority at the University of Arkansas. This resulted in a bunch of college girls in my house. The groom to be did not bring as many friends, but all those young men stayed to help clean up afterwards.
One very pleasant young lady came up to me and said, “It is cool that you have gone to Africa and hunted. I hear you have hunted an elephant. Do you have any pictures?” At that moment, every person in the house was looking at me. I said I did and asked if they would like to see my favorite picture from my elephant hunt? The young lady said yes! I could tell there were some reservations in the facial expressions of some of the other guests. The picture below is what I cast up on the TV for all to see. The picture shows the oldest women in the village getting the first distribution of meat. We spent the next 20 minutes talking with that group of college kids about hunting and sustainable conservation.

View attachment 578329
Always be prepared to discuss hunting. Have a set of pictures from your hunt ready to show people how hunting is a vital part of sustainable conservation.

When people at church as about my trips to Africa, I tell them that I am going to help feed people and put people to work.
I like your photo. I have a similar photo from my latest North American hunt that I show.

IMG_5747.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of this one. Custer was a reckless idiot at the battle of the Little Bighorn, separated his command and marched str into a much larger force. But definitely get the idea.
Custer attacked the day he did to get his name in the papers back East, he thought if he had a decisive victory (slaughter) he could get the Democrat Nomination for President, he would've had reinforcement in two days. The Sioux and the Crow had the victory instead.

“Not sure of this one”.
???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrinidadOg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.