Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
My friend is considering buying a second hand Kreighoff Classic 470. It looks in solid condition and shoots well. It is pretty basic, completely unadorned, but there is a charm to that.
The LOP seems a little short, but I confess I do not know how to measure LOP on a double (would appreciate a bit of a lesson on that). I am lead to believe that Kreighoffs do come standard with a shorter LOP?
What is the difference between the Classic model and the Big 5 please?

Krieghoff makes two doubles, a sidelock Essencia and Classic. Classic is made in all sorts of chamberings and with steel and aluminium alloy frame. The large, steel framed version designed for heavy calibres is called Classic Big Five. Not sure about standard LOP, mine was custom made.

If I’m not mistaken Big 5 is just a designation they give to the .375 and up classics.

In essence every Big Five is a classic, but not every classic is a big five.

For a correct LOP, there needs to be close to 2 finger widths between your thumb and your nose when aiming and gripping the gun correctly. (I would want 2 fingers on a hard kicking DR).

Perfect fit is not as important on rifles as it is with shotguns, because you "aim" a rifle, whereas, you "point" a shotgun, such that your dominate eye actually becomes the rear sight. The pupil must come to as close to exactly the same place as possible, every time a shotgun is shouldered.

For a DR, I can think of two reasons that you would want a correct LOP:

1. To keep from being hit in the nose by your thumb during recoil, and
2. To make sure the trigger is being squeezed exactly rearward, instead of being pushed to one side if the LOP is too short, or being pulled to one side if the LOP is too long.

If it has a scope, then better to err on the LOP being a little too long.

For a correct LOP, there needs to be close to 2 finger widths between your thumb and your nose when aiming and gripping the gun correctly. (I would want 2 fingers on a hard kicking DR).

Perfect fit is not as important on rifles as it is with shotguns, because you "aim" a rifle, whereas, you "point" a shotgun, such that your dominate eye actually becomes the rear sight. The pupil must come to as close to exactly the same place as possible, every time a shotgun is shouldered.

For a DR, I can think of two reasons that you would want a correct LOP:

1. To keep from being hit in the nose by your thumb during recoil, and
2. To make sure the trigger is being squeezed exactly rearward, instead of being pushed to one side if the LOP is too short, or being pulled to one side if the LOP is too long.

If it has a scope, then better to err on the LOP being a little too long.
Thanks Dave, great info.

If I’m not mistaken Big 5 is just a designation they give to the .375 and up classics.

In essence every Big Five is a classic, but not every classic is a big five.
Thanks Sureshot.

Krieghoff makes two doubles, a sidelock Essencia and Classic. Classic is made in all sorts of chamberings and with steel and aluminium alloy frame. The large, steel framed version designed for heavy calibres is called Classic Big Five. Not sure about standard LOP, mine was custom made.
Thanks OP

I measure my double on the front trigger to the back of the recoil pad in the center.

@Safari Dave I agree with you to a point on the correct LOP However I do believe that in a double starting at the 9.3x75/375 class of cartridge the correct fit is just as important as a shotgun. The bigger the round and more recoil the more critical the gunfit. When I was young I punched myself in the nose more times than I want to remember. And one day at the skeet range a older gentleman said son that shotgun doesn't even come close to fitting you. So having no idea what he was talking about and asked him. "Sir what are you talking about" well a half an hour of detailed explanation and his buddy pulled out a cloth tape measure and did a solid set of measurements to get me numbers for correct stock dimensions. I did mention to him , so that is why my ruger #1 45/70 keeps giving me a bloody nose.

Several gunfitting books out of europe, and fitting several times by knowledgeable gunsmiths and double rifle manufactures. The original number those two gentleman did are within a 1/8 in of what I use now. Having longer arms and neck coupled with a lanky frame 98% of the factory rifles and shotguns don't even come close. I am 5'10" and my bolt gun rifles preference is 15-15 1/4in. Double rifles 15 3/8 and shotguns 15 1/2. along with the correct drop and cast. I realize that is a long winded explanation, but proper gunfit is very overlooked and misunderstood by many.

@AZDAVE is I think spot on. One other thought on double rifle fit. The heavier the recoil the more important a truly tight cheek weld becomes. I shoot my double shotguns with a relatively relaxed weld. But the rifle needs to be firmly bedded against the bone. Any space allows recoil to be transmitted directly to the cheek as a blow.

I am a novice with big bore hunting rifles.
.416 and larger. And even less knowledgeable in the DR field.

I will add that hand size is another measurement similar to eye to cheek and jaw. Width of the face.

If your trigger finger can not pull straight back while gripping the stock with that same hand, you will push or pull the shot.
IMG_3060.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyDunfor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani