JOHN RIGBY 7mm MAUSER - A RARE EXPERIMENTAL BULLPUP or A CUSTOM RIFLE FOR A ONE ARM MAN?

buckstix

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.buckstix.com
Media
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
US - CANADA
JOHN RIGBY 7mm MAUSER - A RARE EXPERIMENTAL BULLPUP or A CUSTOM RIFLE FOR A ONE ARM MAN

I just added this one to my collection. I've always liked the "different" guns, and this one sure fits that definition. I can't wait to get it in hand. I will be contacting John Rigby asking for any information available for this rifle.

As always your comments are most welcome.

RIGBY-ONE-000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish it showed if the butt is cast off to one side or the other, seems if the butt was just straight back like a normal rifle it would shoulder better. Maybe for someone In a wheelchair with use of one arm the butt supported by the chair back. Very cool a unique rifle for sure.

That is stupid and guaranteed to break at the wrist... but I am sure the one armed shooter appreciated it.

Very cool! I like the unique too and wish there was more history available on your new find!

I'm trying to picture how a one armed person operates the bolt.
Super quirky example. Thx for sharing

Regardless of what the intent of the stock design was, the barreled action looks to be untouched other than the magazine which can be easily sourced.
Take that barreled action out of this stock and have a correct Rigby styled stock made and you have yourself a suoerb 275 Rigby on an original Mauser square bridge!
Place this oddity stock in storage - nothing lost.
For what you paid it was a bargain!

I would love to see the mechanism between the trigger and the action. I think you found the true Helen Sheppard killer! :)

I would love to see the mechanism between the trigger and the action. I think you found the true Helen Sheppard killer! :)
Only I would know who she was ...... (y)

If you disassemble upon receiving it, I seriously am intrigued with the trigger linkage to the action and how crisp it is/any creep. Impressive engineering feat.

Hello all,

I had sent pictures of the rifle and a request to Rigby for information about this strange rifle. Today I got a very pleasant reply from the Rigby Historian. Here is what he wrote:

"... 4610 is a Rigby Serial number, It was made on 11th October 1911 for a Major J. D. Venables. ’Stock for one arm’
So, it seems it was made that way by Rigby. ..."

Based on his comment at the end of his report, the Historian seemed surprised that it was indeed made by Rigby.

Here is what I've found about the Major Venables. I can only assume he lost his arm and had the rifle custom built for him by Rigby.
I will continue to research History about the Major.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/venables-record.jpg

venables-record.jpg

Am I interpreting your information correctly, that the gun was made for him when he was 12 years old? Or are the dates provided his service time?

The dates are for the duration of the UK, Welsh Regiments - 1899-1942

Hello all,

The rifle arrived today.

Testing showed that I could easily manipulate the rifle with having only a right arm ... I placed the muzzle down on the ground with the stock against my right shoulder. I could then load the rifle and work the bolt, and then grab the pistol grip, and then raise the rifle to aim and shoot. My chin / cheek would rest against the slanted oval on the stock. The recoil pad was against the shoulder and the sights were in-line to aim. By pulling the gun tight against the shoulder, I think recoil would be quite manageable. Since the caliber was listed as 275 HV it means the bullet would be 140 grain resulting in lower recoil.

here are some pics

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/RIGBY-ONE-0000.jpg

RIGBY-ONE-0000.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Algerhodes

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.