Is it disrespectful to the animal?

migrabill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
So every year for Christmas my wife decorates up the house. Part of her annual ritual is "decorating" my mounted heads. They typically get Santa hats, scarfs, ornaments from the antlers etc. I have always felt inside that it was disrespectful to the animal but I have never said anything to her.
Am I warranted in feeling this way or am I overthinking it?

I must say I agree. I especially dislike the comic baboon mounts, Turkey feet made into middle fingers, whitetail doe butts, etc etc. I just see no class in any of it. In an old interview Harry Selby even put in his .02c on this style of thing saying that an ostrich leg made into a table lamp seems rather gauche.

I don’t see it as disrespectful but if you don’t like it that’s fine too.

It comes down to how you view it without a right or wrong. If putting a Santa hat on helps you to relive your positive memories of the hunt and the animal that’s great. If it detracts from your memories of how the animal looked when it was alive and wild then it’s fine to not like the hat.

My wife puts up with the 30+ mounts in the house and she decorates them from Thanksgiving to new years. She doesn't fuss when they come in, I'm not going to fuss if it makes her happy. I'm OCD about my stuff, I had to bite my tongue. Thought hard about it, came to the conclusion, this is a non issue.

I can appreciate your thoughts, at the end of the day we are displaying our trophies. If it helps involving the whole family and friends. We'll in my eyes that is a good thing, atleast they are getting attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate it but my wife and kids think putting a Santa hat on a cougar is the best thing that ever happened to a cat dead or alive.
I’ve always hated when hunters sit or stand on dead animals. But I’ll allow as to each their own, we don’t all perceive things the same way

My cape buff euro mount and one of the wildebeest euros in my office are year round hat racks.. if Im wearing a cap when I walk into the office, I typically pull it off and hang it on one of the horns until I choose to wear it again..

I dont think its disrespectful in any way..

20231212_165607.jpg

My cape buff euro mount and one of the wildebeest euros in my office are year round hat racks.. if Im wearing a cap when I walk into the office, I typically pull it off and hang it on one of the horns until I choose to wear it again..

I dont think its disrespectful in any way..
I am certain the animal doesn't care.

Starting shit with your SO during the holidays? Are you fkn kidding me? Go ahead. Down the road, you're probably looking at YOUR money $$$$ going their way with zero return.
In other words STFU and deal with it.

Starting shit with your SO during the holidays? Are you fkn kidding me? Go ahead. Down the road, you're probably looking at YOUR money $$$$ going their way with zero return.
In other words STFU and deal with it.
Right, Go ahead and bitch about it and see where it gets you! You can meet up with me at Cracker Barrel for a delicious Christmas dinner! On second thought though, I do buy myself much better presents than she did and Cracker Barrel ain’t terrible, beats a MRE!

I agree with @Firebird on the sitting or standing on dead animals for pictures. I find that disrespectful, however, to each their own. I am probably one of the few women on this forum and one who also has taxidermy of my own. I put a Santa hat on George’s horn one year. George is the full size rhino mount in the living room. Bob said no and I said if George’s big butt is going to be in my dining room and his horn next to my tree, it is going to at least look a bit festive. The following year my tree was in a different location so I did not put a Santa hat on George. I also do not decorate all the taxidermy, or any for that matter . George was the one time. I don’t think it’s disrespectful though. Most women would get bent out of shape or throw a huge tantrum if you told them not to do something to your taxidermy. I have taxidermy so I would not get mad about Bob saying something. He has a pair of sunglasses on a small critter though. Cannot remember which….there is SO MUCH taxidermy. :X3:

I agree with @Firebird on the sitting or standing on dead animals for pictures. I find that disrespectful, however, to each their own. I am probably one of the few women on this forum and one who also has taxidermy of my own. I put a Santa hat on George’s horn one year. George is the full size rhino mount in the living room. Bob said no and I said if George’s big butt is going to be in my dining room and his horn next to my tree, it is going to at least look a bit festive. The following year my tree was in a different location so I did not put a Santa hat on George. I also do not decorate all the taxidermy, or any for that matter . George was the one time. I don’t think it’s disrespectful though. Most women would get bent out of shape or throw a huge tantrum if you told them not to do something to your taxidermy. I have taxidermy so I would not get mad about Bob saying something. He has a pair of sunglasses on a small critter though. Cannot remember which….there is SO MUCH taxidermy. :X3:

I just pictured George with a 6" red Styrofoam ball on his horn.

And singing George the red horned rhino......

Not taxidermy. My daughter has been decorating my Herters hen mallard decoy for several years. I got back at her by adding the turkey legs.
This year and one or two in the past, it flew south for the winter…..

IMG_1499.jpeg

I just pictured George with a 6" red Styrofoam ball on his horn.

And singing George the red horned rhino......
Ok, I can actually picture this, HAHA!! thank you for the laugh! I may have to work on this idea of yours! :ROFLMAO::E Rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarrisonDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!