IMR-4831 versus H4831 in a double rifle?

cajunchefray

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
I understand from several double rifle experts here, and other sites, that IMR-4831 is the go-to powder for regulation in a double rifle

Hs anyone tried H4831 (I can get some now), and did you need to change powder charges?

I'm shooting (slumming) with a Sabatti 450/400, that has been worked over by my gunsmith, Muzzles are not ground, trigger job to 5.5 to 6#.
It shoots high for me so I had him mount a Trijicon RMR.

I'm getting 4-5 inch groups with Reloder 15, at 50 yards. The left barrel shoots high 4 inches left, the right barrel shoots just an inch right of the target.

Anyone had success with H4831 over IMR-4831?

Merci Beacoup,

Charles

I've used both. I use IMR 4831 in my double (9.3x74r). I am low on stock on the IMR powder so I have been working with H4831 recently because I have tons of it. So far it shoots pretty well. I have had to change the load a little but I'm pretty happy so far. In the interest of transparency, I have only loaded up a few rounds with various powder charges so far but I have a pretty good starting point now to work from.

The H version is a little slower than IMR so there will be a loss of velocity with the same charge.
Years ago it was quite different but I think they speeded it up a bit in recent years.

H4831SC is my primary powder for my 470. Have worked with IMR as well but H4831sc is what worked best in my Heym.

I understand from several double rifle experts here, and other sites, that IMR-4831 is the go-to powder for regulation in a double rifle

Hs anyone tried H4831 (I can get some now), and did you need to change powder charges?

I'm shooting (slumming) with a Sabatti 450/400, that has been worked over by my gunsmith, Muzzles are not ground, trigger job to 5.5 to 6#.
It shoots high for me so I had him mount a Trijicon RMR.

I'm getting 4-5 inch groups with Reloder 15, at 50 yards. The left barrel shoots high 4 inches left, the right barrel shoots just an inch right of the target.

Anyone had success with H4831 over IMR-4831?

Merci Beacoup,

Charles
Funny you should ask. A little different. I have alot of H4831SC but had a chance to buy 8
Pounds of H4831 and took it. Everything I have read is they are the same and will not impact my 450-400 DR POI. Looking forward to comments on IMR4831

Thanks to all that replied. I think I will try the H4831, work up incremental loads by a grain at a time. It's listed in the Hornady Manual, along with IMR-4831, but 4 grains more for 2050 fps.

A noted authority here I talked too, (Bought some brass from him) told me to work up 2-3 grains over the IMR-4831 load until the shots come together.

In my limited testing shooting my Merkel double 450-400 3" loads with 400 gr. bullets and IMR4831 and H4831, 80 gr. of IMR4831 about equals 83-84 gr. of H4831. For some reason the IMR groups a wee bit better.

In my limited testing shooting my Merkel double 450-400 3" loads with 400 gr. bullets and IMR4831 and H4831, 80 gr. of IMR4831 about equals 83-84 gr. of H4831. For some reason the IMR groups a wee bit better.
Thanks, Longwalker, that is some valid real-world experience, that confirms what other experts here told me.

I was trying to make Reloder 15 work, with foam wads, for a bit less recoil and while accurate in my Ruger #1, they don't regulate well in my double rifle.

I'm heading to local reloading supply shop to get some H4831 and give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlondellWo

Latest profile posts

We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.