Ideal rifle weight and stock design for 338 WinMag?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'm on the hunt to add a 338WM rifle to the collection but have now been repeatedly told by others how much these 338WM seems to kick, more-so than many medium and big bore alternatives.

I own and can comfortably shoot my 375H&H (9.3lb rifle) but have been told the recoil on the 338 is much sharper, far more noticeable.

Is this because in general rifles chambered for 338 are light for caliber? What would an ideal rifle setup be for 338WM? Which stock design would be preferred for mitigating this recoil?

I'm considering options from Ruger, Winchester, Tikka and Sako which all range between 7lbs and 9lbs.

I’ll shoot my 375 Ruger loaded hot all day, over my 338WM. They’re about the same weight at 10lbs with scopes. Just haven’t brought myself to part her yet…

I’ll shoot my 375 Ruger loaded hot all day, over my 338WM. They’re about the same weight at 10lbs with scopes. Just haven’t brought myself to part her yet…
Meaning the 338 has notably more recoil than the 375 Ruger in equally weighted rifles?

I have Ruger Hawkeye rifles in 338 WM and also 375 Ruger. Both have laminated stocks and weigh in the 8.5 to 9 lb range with scope. The 375 is much more lively in recoil. The 338 to me is similar to 300 WM type of recoil. When I shoot these at the range, it’s usually from a standing bench. Shooting from a conventional US type of shooting bench is fairly punishing.

The type of powder makes a huge difference. 338s generally have a snappy recoil by their typical powders, 375HH generally has a pushy recoil from their powders of choice.

The rest is attributed to 338s being owned in poorly stocked designs with high rings ensuring you get punched in the face a lot.

I have Ruger Hawkeye rifles in 338 WM and also 375 Ruger. Both have laminated stocks and weigh in the 8.5 to 9 lb range with scope. The 375 is much more lively in recoil. The 338 to me is similar to 300 WM type of recoil. When I shoot these at the range, it’s usually from a standing bench. Shooting from a conventional US type of shooting bench is fairly punishing.
Is there any truth to the perceived "speed" of the recoil? I've never shot a 300WM but have read that both the 300 and 338 recoil much quicker, resulting in that sharp impulse compared to the 375's, 416's etc.

However empirically all the calculated recoil values I'm seeing shows the 338 producing less.

For example.

A 250 grain 338WM out of a 9lb rifle = 33.1 ft-lbs

Vs

A 300 grain 375H&H out of a 9lb rifle = 37.3 ft-lbs

Vs

A 300 grain 375 Ruger out of a 8.5lbs rifle = 44.8 ft-lbs.

Last edited:
Is there any truth to the perceived "speed" of the recoil? I've never shot a 300WM but have read that both the 300 and 338 recoil much quicker, resulting in that sharp impulse compared to the 375's 416's etc.

However empirically all the calculated recoil values I'm seeing shows the 338 producing less.

For example.

A 250 grain 338WM out of a 9lb rifle = 33.1 ft-lbs

Vs

A 300 grain 375H&H out of a 9lb rifle = 37.3 ft-lbs

Vs

A 300 grain 375 Ruger out of a 8.5lbs rifle = 44.8 ft-lbs.

ALL THINGS being equal, the powder that does equal work, achieving equal velocity with the least amount of powder grains creates the least recoil.

In my 470NE, I have one powder that requires 109gr of powder to achieve velocity and produces about 90 pounds of recoil. I have another powder that does the same work at 86gr of powder and produces 60ish pounds of recoil. Same velocity, same bullet, same brass, same primer.

Powder matters.

Also, there is a noticeable difference with a correct fit and design. I was shocked and impressed with how much difference the design and fit makes on felt recoil.
Now what the definition of that is. I’ll leave it to the experts with far more knowledge in that area

Meaning the 338 has notably more recoil than the 375 Ruger in equally weighted rifles?
As Rookhawk noted, powder is key. I’ve got a load out my M70 with 210 partitions I love with RL15 at 2950fps. Easy to shoot, not as much perceived recoil, about like a 300wm. As soon as I move to RL17 at similar speeds or H414, things get snappier and not as enjoyable to shoot at the range. For hunting, I don’t worry about it. Stay focused on basic shooting mechanics and rely on muscle memory to make the best shot and you’ll be fine.

I have been shooting a older (tang safety) Ruger M77 in .338 Win Mag a LOT working up loads. Its all stock, weighs around 8lbs. I can't compare to a .375, but I just don't think the recoil is that harsh. Never a bruise or sore shoulder after a 20-30 round shooting session like I would have after shooting my 12ga with heavy waterfowl loads that many times.

I have a Sako L61R, since the mid 80´s, the first thing I did was change the factory stock, butt was too low for my taste, as it made the rifle recoil upwards.

I fitted it with a McMillan synthetic stock, a design they called "classic American" which is quite straight, now the rifle recoils straight back into your shoulder. Still kicks sharply, but manageable.

And proper lenght of pull is essential.

I have a Sako L61R, since the mid 80´s, the first thing I did was change the factory stock, butt was too low for my taste, as it made the rifle recoil upwards.

I fitted it with a McMillan synthetic stock, a design they called "classic American" which is quite straight, now the rifle recoils straight back into your shoulder. Still kicks sharply, but manageable.

And proper lenght of pull is essential.
So in terms of recoil is the American/boat paddle stock preferable vs the European/Hog Back style?

So in terms of recoil is the American/boat paddle stock preferable vs the European/Hog Back style?

To me, yes, definitely !

And I have never seen a custom made, heavy caliber rifle which did not have a straight stock.

338wm recoil is quite manageable. Straight stock, large recoil pad, wear a shoulder pad when sighting from the bench, pay attention to grip and body mechanics....and man, does it deliver on the game!

Recoil is a subjective thing. But get a straighter stock with proper LOP and PRACTICE. You'll easily learn to deal with the recoil. If needed load down a bit and start there.

Have fun!

...And I have never seen a custom made, heavy caliber rifle which did not have a straight stock.
This stock does not have a straight pull but is quite pleasant to shoot - 404J

404 Jeffery full.jpg

To me, yes, definitely !

And I have never seen a custom made, heavy caliber rifle which did not have a straight stock.

Point of order. Straight stock means monte carlo stock. I hate them, and fine guns never use them. Monte Carlo means a comb parallel to the bore. They are designed for high optics so regardless of sitting at a bench or prone, regardless of clothing, your face can be anywhere on the stock and still be in line with the scope.

Fine stalking rifles and double rifles have a pitched comb by design, the antithesis of a "straight comb". This is designed so that as the gun is aimed skyward, your triceps continue to contract and create a different sight picture relative to the bore. With a perfectly fitted pitched stock, you are on target vertical, horizontal, or in-between.

Monte Carlo "straight comb" stock, actually slightly worse-than monte carlo ala Roy Weatherby with inclining drop, but you get the idea. Parallel comb:

1689446692713.png

Sloping stock or pitched stock:

1689446789969.png

I will have to say in that with all the hunting trips and the animals that I have shot with it I have never felt the recoil from my .340 Weatherby mag with the glass stock.

Now shooting it from the bench or even off of sticks when target shooting I have felt it and can only take around 10 shots with it before I am done and start to flinch. But I can put the brake onto it and shoot all day long.

@rookhawk has it absolutely correct, its the powder.

I have a Rem 700 338 Win Mag, 24" smallest diameter barrel, skeletonized in every portion of metal in a light non wood stock. Weights well under 7lbs with light sling and Leopold ultralight 3x9x33 scope.

I also have same gun in 375 H&H, same scope, sling, and stock same but rifle not skeletonized. Weights just under 8lbs.

Both guns "kick" but 338 is a sharp fast jab, wakes one up instantly, 375 a nice push.

225 accubond and RL15 is noticeable but not scary, change powder to IMR or RL 19 and the sharp snappy jab is immediate and much more noticeable. Reason I have lots of RL 15 as these results are reflective with a 6 lb something Rem 700 in 300 WSM, built same with 20" lightened barrel.

Recoil and the ability to take or overcome is subjection able to each. I have a friend whos small framed daughter shoots my light guns well and a Newfie buddy, 6'4" 280 lbs who after shooting one once now refuses to shoot any more.

With a correct fitting gun, right bullet and load, I do not think recoil from a "normal" weight 338 WM is over the top and scary for most. Lead sled for sighting in and getting load data, sissy bag for practice and I cannot remember any recoil shooting game from my 338 or others.

Go purchase the gun you like, start with lighter/slower loads, work up to max if you like, have fun and go hunt something fitting for a 338, maybe moose in Ont.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnitraSlad

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,