Ideal expanding bullet for thin skinned game (416 Rigby)?

I plan on hunting both bear and moose this fall with my new 416 Rigby.

Which expanding bullets would be ideal for thin skinned game?

So far the limited ammo selection I've been seeing is mostly solids however I have picked up both Hornady's DGX and Barnes VOR-TX bullets.

Will these do the trick or should I try and track down ammo from Nosler, Norma, Swift etc?
TSX for everything.

Both rounds are great choices, pick the one that shoots best in your rifle. If the shoot the same i'd opt for the DGX Bonded.

I don’t have personal experience with them yet, but I’m trying the Northfork 400gr percussion point for bear this spring. Advertised to open extremely fast and penetrate deep. I use them as training rounds for Africa in lieu of the semi spitzers which are harder to get. They are exactly the same but have a groove at the nose which facilitates the rapid expansion.
I get them from Prophet River Firearms.

I plan on hunting both bear and moose this fall with my new 416 Rigby.

Which expanding bullets would be ideal for thin skinned game?

So far the limited ammo selection I've been seeing is mostly solids however I have picked up both Hornady's DGX and Barnes VOR-TX bullets.

Will these do the trick or should I try and track down ammo from Nosler, Norma, Swift etc?
I cannot speak to the 416 Rigby specifically. But, the 350 grain TSX out of a 416 Ruger has performed excellent on a couple of moose for me. I am also just beginning working with the 350 TTSX, Hammer Bullets 325 grain Shock Hammer, and the CEB 325 grain Maximus.

I cannot speak to the 416 Rigby specifically. But, the 350 grain TSX out of a 416 Ruger has performed excellent on a couple of moose for me. I am also just beginning working with the 350 TTSX, Hammer Bullets 325 grain Shock Hammer, and the CEB 325 grain Maximus.
I wish someone offered these weights in Factory Rigby ammo. Looks like i'll need to pick up reloading.

Haven't been able to find any. The Nosler website no longer lists 416 Rigby.

Hornady DGX and Barnes TTSX seem to be the only readily available partitions available right now (Canada).
SFRC seems to have loaded 400gr Nosler Partitions.

"Looks like i'll need to pick up reloading." You'll save some $$ by reloading for the Rigby or any big bore.

For loaded ammo in Canada, I'd go with the Sako Twinhead II with the 400gr A-frames. I see more are available at Triggersandbows... no really :)

Last edited:
I plan on hunting the majority of Canadian Big Game with my 416 Rigby over the next two years.

Looking for the ideal expanding bullet for the task. I know they are all plenty of gun for the task but I'm looking for the partition that will expand the most on light skinned game.

White tail deer, black bear, elk, caribou, moose and bison are all on the menu.
Prophet River in Loydminster has 300 and 350 gr TSX, I prefer the TTSX

x-reload had all three and the DGX in 400 gr

I'm kinda surprised that the Barnes fans are not recommending the 300 gr. TSX for N.A and African Plains Game. It seems like it would be perfect for the job, allowing higher velocity that the Barnes like, with a bit less recoil. It would seem like that is the reason Barnes makes them... No?

I'm kinda surprised that the Barnes fans are not recommending the 300 gr. TSX for N.A and African Plains Game. It seems like it would be perfect for the job, allowing higher velocity that the Barnes like, with a bit less recoil. It would seem like that is the reason Barnes makes them... No?
Some folks really like them for such.
I have never tried them. I wish Barnes would have rolled the 325 X into the TSX line. Maybe it would have evolved into a TTSX.

I started with the 350's was very pleased with the accuracy and performance. Though, I always though a 325 mono might be a better fit. The Hammer & CEB 325's scratch that itch. Even though their design function is significantly different than the Barnes. And, they are probably longer than what a 325 TSX would have been.

Hammer does make a 300 grain also. I do have some of the 300 grain TSX. But, have never loaded them. I bought them in another shortage time frame, when I could not get the 350 TSX. I do know of one Cape buffalo that the 300 TSX was used on successfully without drama. But, I do not know the actual bullet's terminal performance.

I'm fairly surprised a 300grain p
Some folks really like them for such.
I have never tried them. I wish Barnes would have rolled the 325 X into the TSX line. Maybe it would have evolved into a TTSX.

I started with the 350's was very pleased with the accuracy and performance. Though, I always though a 325 mono might be a better fit. The Hammer & CEB 325's scratch that itch. Even though their design function is significantly different than the Barnes. And, they are probably longer than what a 325 TSX would have been.

Hammer does make a 300 grain also. I do have some of the 300 grain TSX. But, have never loaded them. I bought them in another shortage time frame, when I could not get the 350 TSX. I do know of one Cape buffalo that the 300 TSX was used on successfully without drama. But, I do not know the actual bullet's terminal performance.
I'm fairly surprised a 300 grain 416 projectile was used on buffalo given it's S.D. of only .248.

For comparison the 325 grain has a S.D. of .268 and the 350 grain has a S.D. of .289.

None of the above meet the vaunted S.D. minimum of .300 that I've ready as recommended for dangerous game.

The Barnes tts 185gr bullets work fine. You can load it down to a piddling 2900fps in your rifle and have a dandy whitetail load that wont kick much either. I hunt with a 338/06 and a buddy uses the .338 winmag and we both use this bullet (and the old 185gr triple shock barnes. Great bullets!

I'm fairly surprised a 300grain p

I'm fairly surprised a 300 grain 416 projectile was used on buffalo given it's S.D. of only .248.

For comparison the 325 grain has a S.D. of .268 and the 350 grain has a S.D. of .289.

None of the above meet the vaunted S.D. minimum of .300 that I've ready as recommended for dangerous game.
There is another report on this forum of using the .458 404 grain Hammer Shock Hammer.

And, on another forum the .416 325 grain Hammer Shock Hammer. Frontal shot and the bullet was found in the hip. One shot and done. This may have also been posted by the hunter on this forum.

There is another fellow that has killed a few buffalo each, with the 375 H&H and Barnes 270 TSX, 270 LRX, and 250 TTSX.

Bullet design and construction does perform above the former acceptable weight classes.

I think the Hammer Shock Hammer and CEB Maximus are a few notches above the conventional expanding Barnes.

Think I just scored the last 416 A Frames in the country.

PXL_20240406_174742918.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.