Ideal expanding bullet for thin skinned game (416 Rigby)?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I plan on hunting both bear and moose this fall with my new 416 Rigby.

Which expanding bullets would be ideal for thin skinned game?

So far the limited ammo selection I've been seeing is mostly solids however I have picked up both Hornady's DGX and Barnes VOR-TX bullets.

Will these do the trick or should I try and track down ammo from Nosler, Norma, Swift etc?

I used Barnes Vortex ammo in my 375 H&H and shot everything from Warthog & Bushbuck smallest animals to Kudu and cow Buffalo the largest. I also shot a Lioness, and it was a one shot kill. Will you be doing any DG hunts during that time>

Those will work admirably. A nice thing about using a large bore rifle on thin shinned game is that there is so much margin that bullet choice becomes almost irrelevant. You don’t need anything near ideal for it to work extremely well. And in any event, both are good bullets.

I would not hesitate to use either Barnes or DGX (bonded).

Where for bear? Where for moose?

If you can find them I would think the Barnes ammo with 350 gr. TSX would be about perfect.
X2
saw a box this morning 350gr tsx @ 2500fps but dang they are expensive
a 400 gr is more in my budget:)

I've used enough solids in my 416 Rem on PG to see no reason to change and we can eat right up to the hole as Elmer used to say..but any buffalo designed bullet of 400 grs is tough enough to not over expand unless you hit a major bone and bone shards can be destructive sometimes...Big bores then to be less destructive than say a 243 or 270..

I've shot a few impala with my .416 using Hornady DGX. You'll get a complete pass through and a dead impala. I'm sure they would perform even better on larger PG.

Those will work admirably. A nice thing about using a large bore rifle on thin shinned game is that there is so much margin that bullet choice becomes almost irrelevant. You don’t need anything near ideal for it to work extremely well. And in any event, both are good bullets.
I was thinking along the lines that some of these partitions might be "tougher" than others considering the game they are designed for. Looking for open that will open up and expand adequately on "smaller" game like moose and bear.

I've shot a few impala with my .416 using Hornady DGX. You'll get a complete pass through and a dead impala. I'm sure they would perform even better on larger PG.
The bear in the area are 300-400lbs and the Moose 800-1,000. I wonder if it will also pass through them? Only one way to find out.

Hornady DGX Bonded 400Gr gets my vote (out of all the currently available choices on the market).

On ammoseek there is an ad for 350 gr TSX ammo for $89.99 a box with free shipping.I think it is their brand.

I used the Barnes 350 TSX in my 416 Rigby on our last trip to Africa. I had it loaded to just over 2400fps. I shot several impalas, blesbok, zebra and warthogs. All bullets exited; nothing took a step after the shot; and the exit wounds were around the size of a ping pong ball or bigger.

Safe hunting

The bear in the area are 300-400lbs and the Moose 800-1,000. I wonder if it will also pass through them? Only one way to find out.

I don't think a .416 DGX will completely pass through a bear or moose. But, like you said, there is "only one way to find out."

(I'd love to find out, personally!)

I know, for a fact, that a DGX will NOT pass through a Cape Buffalo, if you hit him where you are supposed to!

(Sample size = 1)

On ammoseek there is an ad for 350 gr TSX ammo for $89.99 a box with free shipping.I think it is their brand.
This caught my attention, so I checked it out. It is Grizzly Safari Ammo (Reload?), 5 rounds per box for $89.99. Yikes!

Safe hunting

High probability of passing through!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.