AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Doubles are my absolute favorite Africa hunting rifles. With a couple of Zimbabwe hunts coming up in the next two years, I want to take a back up for my W.J. Jeffery 475 No 2 Jeffery. Plan was to take my 500NE Verney-Carroon as the back up.

But what if I get a chance at a perfect buffalo and the closest I can get is just out of double range. Or what if I decide to take some plains game.

I decided it'd make more sense to carry a medium caliber gun as a back up. But I didn't have one. And I figured since we are about to leave for a month in South Africa this would be the perfect time to get one and get comfortable with it.

The romance of old Africa Safaris bit me hard 60 years ago. With that in mind and my love of old guns I decided to look for a W.J. Jeffery in 404 Jeffery. Only one I could find was in Switzerland and because of time constraints mostly I didn't go that route. Next was a Rigby in 416 Rigby. Couldn't find one. But I did come across a Holland & Holland 375 H&H. Although I'd never seen myself owning a 375 I went for it.

Based on the serial number it was built between 1914 and 1918. Based on the condition of the stock I think maybe it was refinished at some point, but the rest of the gun is pretty much scratch and wear free so maybe not.

IMG_6862.jpg

After giving the barrel and chamber a good cleaning it was off to the range with a box of Hornady DGS. I set up a bulls eye target at 50 yards, detached the scope, and took the first shot. First time I'd used a hooded front sight. High and to the left. Well crap that's not good I thought. Took a second shot and a couple of inches right and high. Not liking what I'm seeing I decided to lower the hood. Much better. Center and just a little high. Is this me I thought. I'm good with open sights. Have I got a gun with a problem. I'd have killed a Cape buffalo but good chance I would have missed a Steenbuck.

Feeling just a little dejected I put the scope on. Changed targets to the one I use for scopes. Fixed 2.5 power which didn't give me the precision to line up on a 1" square as I usually do so I aimed at the middle of the target with not the greatest expectations. Much to my surprise the first round was close enough. Maybe the gun is okay I thought. Second round cut the first. Nice! Third I pulled slightly but still excellent. The steenbuck would be dead.

IMG_6858.jpg

Seems I've got some open sight shooting practice to do with this gun before I take it to Zimbabwe. But for South Africa as my plains game rifle with the scope it should be fine. Going to be quite the change from the 300 Weatherby Custom I usually hunt with. Looking forward to it.

A closer representation of the color of the stock (perhaps just a bit too light) is in this photo of it in the gun case.

IMG_6864.jpg

I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to be the caretaker of these fine guns.

If you're inclined to refinish that blonde into a redhead S.B. McWilliams alkenet oil is an old school red oil.He sells on EBay and he does ship to Alaska, I have a bottle and I'm working on a stock for my brother right now with it.

Last edited:
Well done Sourdough, what a find, but I agree with Ruan, a bit of darkening wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks for the tip @Ryan

It's not quite that blonde, I'll try and get some better photos from natural light, perhaps while it's in South Africa. ;-)

Doubles are my absolute favorite Africa hunting rifles. With a couple of Zimbabwe hunts coming up in the next two years, I want to take a back up for my W.J. Jeffery 475 No 2 Jeffery. Plan was to take my 500NE Verney-Carroon as the back up.

But what if I get a chance at a perfect buffalo and the closest I can get is just out of double range. Or what if I decide to take some plains game.

I decided it'd make more sense to carry a medium caliber gun as a back up. But I didn't have one. And I figured since we are about to leave for a month in South Africa this would be the perfect time to get one and get comfortable with it.

The romance of old Africa Safaris bit me hard 60 years ago. With that in mind and my love of old guns I decided to look for a W.J. Jeffery in 404 Jeffery. Only one I could find was in Switzerland and because of time constraints mostly I didn't go that route. Next was a Rigby in 416 Rigby. Couldn't find one. But I did come across a Holland & Holland 375 H&H. Although I'd never seen myself owning a 375 I went for it.

Based on the serial number it was built between 1914 and 1918. Based on the condition of the stock I think maybe it was refinished at some point, but the rest of the gun is pretty much scratch and wear free so maybe not.

View attachment 519950

After giving the barrel and chamber a good cleaning it was off to the range with a box of Hornady DGS. I set up a bulls eye target at 50 yards, detached the scope, and took the first shot. First time I'd used a hooded front sight. High and to the left. Well crap that's not good I thought. Took a second shot and a couple of inches right and high. Not liking what I'm seeing I decided to lower the hood. Much better. Center and just a little high. Is this me I thought. I'm good with open sights. Have I got a gun with a problem. I'd have killed a Cape buffalo but good chance I would have missed a Steenbuck.

Feeling just a little dejected I put the scope on. Changed targets to the one I use for scopes. Fixed 2.5 power which didn't give me the precision to line up on a 1" square as I usually do so I aimed at the middle of the target with not the greatest expectations. Much to my surprise the first round was close enough. Maybe the gun is okay I thought. Second round cut the first. Nice! Third I pulled slightly but still excellent. The steenbuck would be dead.

View attachment 519951

Seems I've got some open sight shooting practice to do with this gun before I take it to Zimbabwe. But for South Africa as my plains game rifle with the scope it should be fine. Going to be quite the change from the 300 Weatherby Custom I usually hunt with. Looking forward to it.

A closer representation of the color of the stock (perhaps just a bit too light) is in this photo of it in the gun case.

View attachment 519952

I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to be the caretaker of these fine guns.
Great guns all. Congrats on your purchase.

What is your opinion on the quality of the Verney-Carroon doubles?

Looking at their website it doesn't look like they even make SxS double rifles anymore...only O/U

Would you buy another Verney-Carroon?

@TERMINATOR I'll admit I was surprised to look at their website and their 2023 catalog and not see the side-by-side doubles. Perhaps the loss of Jérôme Lanoue to Rigby is the reason.

The quality is outstanding and I would definitely buy one again without hesitation.

@TERMINATOR I'll admit I was surprised to look at their website and their 2023 catalog and not see the side-by-side doubles. Perhaps the loss of Jérôme Lanoue to Rigby is the reason.

The quality is outstanding and I would definitely buy one again without hesitation.
Thank you for the reply

Very nice pair, now if you want a threesome keep looking for that .404 Jefferies.

Lon

If it were mine, I wouldn't restore anything on it. Rather, I would use the hell out of it.

A few years from now, that plastic-like shine that is not quite right will have faded, soiling of the finish will have occurred too. I would then scuff the finish with some 0000 bronze wool and I would make up an oil finish. That finish would have a very high content of iron shavings + vinegar AND red alkanet in it. Way, way too dark. I'd put that finish on top of the finish that exists now.

The reason is, the gun will not endure a full strip/sand/refinish and it will do more harm than good. Soiling, dings, use, and a heavily pigmented topping off of oil will darken what is there and it can be finished to a duller (correct) finish at that time.

The more you use it, the sooner it will be ready to correct the finish. In the intervening years, enjoy it.

@Tokoloshe Safaris actually before a WJ Jeffery 404 Jeffery I'm looking for a WJ Jeffery 450 No 2, but I do like your thinking.

@rookhawk love that advice, thank you, I'll put it into affect

Sourdough,

Congratulations on a fine H&H rifle in an outstanding caliber, I tend to agree with Rookhawk. It’s a H&H!! Leave it as it is, that is a beautiful rifle. If you really want to change the look send it back to H&H and have it done properly as well as documented. Just a uniformed opinion on such things. May she serve you well.

JP

Congratulations on a great rifle!

Agree with the above…
If any work needs to be done, have it done by H&H.
In the mean time, let the UV of the sun and moisture outside the gun safe soften the blonde.
Great rifle and enjoy it…. A lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnjaPflaum

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)