Reaction score
Website
us.leica-camera.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
I Love Hunting In The Remotest Areas Of Spain by Joaquin De Lapatza

IMG_1478.jpg

I guess it feels somehow wilder to be far apart from civilization. Today I am going to share with you one of the most emotional hunting experiences I have lived through. Let’s set the scene: The action takes place in a small village located in an area which is called “the abandoned Spain”. The abandoned Spain is not located in a particular region or area but refers to the small villages or hamlets which have been slowly but steadily emptied as people migrated to larger towns looking for industrial or services jobs. Rural life is hard and solitary, underpaid and risky compared to the false security of town tinned lifestyle. The town is called Alcoroches, which is located at 1400 meters above sea level, about a 1-hour drive from a larger town, and is populated by around 80 people. The landscape is unique. Surrounded by granite hilltops and large pine tree woods, the village is composed of a mix of half-demolished clay-built houses and sheds and proudly still standing clean family homes. People’s first interaction can be quite silent, even surly. They would stop anything they are doing and stare at you while you drive or walk on their streets. Once the ice is broken and the conversation is started, they are incredibly warm and friendly.

IMG_1601.jpg
IMG_1466.jpg

This village is surrounded by a national park: “Parque Nacional del Alto Tajo”. This national park is a nature treasure that hosts a number of game and protected species. In these remote villages, hunting is still a population control mechanism and a way of subsistence for many locals and even if it is a hunting restricted area, they are allowed to hunt red deer, fallow deer, foxes, and wild boars. Due to its landscape, food-rich biotope, and a great genetic inheritance such as conservation, red deer are majestic reaching up to 300 kilograms on large male adults and 24 plus thick spikes on their antlers. Fallow deer are quite proficient and average in terms of antler quality and the boar population is not the largest, however, males tend to have contained dimensions but have fierce tusks. Due to the park’s restrictions, only twenty-one simultaneous hunters are allowed per drive and only 2 "rehalas" (dog hounds) up to a maximum of 30 dogs. Since only 21 hunters are allowed, all pegs are taken by local members of the hunting association, and they raffle who will occupy a peg and who will work the dogs. I was fortunate to get the peg of a local hunter who had kindly invited me to take his spot instead of him.

DEFD8932-6D69-4BB3-8328-A49A92754BD3.jpg

It was December 22nd. This date is quite popular in Spain as the Christmas national lottery day is celebrated every year on this day from early morning to almost lunchtime. The lottery is quite famous as there is a significant first price and hundreds of smaller prices. The particularity resides in the fact that each lottery number is sold in fractions or shares so that one single winner could bag a fortune but almost always, the money is shared amongst several individuals who purchased a fraction. As such, it is common to exchange fractions of a number amongst friends, family, and fellow hunters.

It was a chilly morning and the hunting association was celebrating its traditional breakfast in their shed just outside of the village. The shed was quite smokey due to the rusty old oven burning wet thick logs of pine trees. It was loud as well, as there were no less than 6 simultaneous conversations. From football arguments to small discussions around who shot what on the last drive. My friend Fran arrived just as breakfast was served. The bread loafs run from hunter to hunter and everyone cuts his share with the typical Spanish pocket knife. Fran is middle-aged and migrated years ago to Valencia as his wife had just given birth to his second son and needed a more structured and economically stable life. However, Fran returns almost every weekend to his old parents’ home, alone in the winter months and with the full family during milder seasons. Everyone cheered him as he entered the shed and he welcomed them back waving some lottery tickets: “Don’t think I have forgotten you, my friends! Here are some tickets I bought for each one of you in Valencia” he said. Then he gave one ticket to each member of the association. Meanwhile, the kitchen was crowded with the wives cooking the excellent “fried eggs and chorizo” and on top of their loud parallel conversations, they had the radio turned on. It is also quite traditional to listen to the radio broadcast of the lottery draw.

IMG_5585.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg

As we were about to start the peg raffle, there was a noise coming out of the kitchen: “The Gordo has come out!!!” At this point, almost every Spaniard usually tries to remember if the number may sound familiar by any chance. And this day, at this magical moment, all of the sudden there was an incredible silence… “You are kidding me!”… ”No way!…” Another silence and suddenly an explosion of emotions, cries of joy, and hugs all over the shed. At this point I am pretty sure if I could have seen the shed from outside, it was probably vibrating or even trembling!

Unbelievable as it might sound, those twenty-three men had just each won a small fortune! From economic uncertainty to comfort in just one breakfast. But what is even more unbelievable is that instead of going to celebrate, they decided to continue as planned and proceed with the hunt. The hunt was quite successful, and once it was over, the entire village came together for a big, memorable party.

I came back last year and assumed maybe several of them might have migrated to warmer cities on the coast. Or maybe I would have expected the old houses to be fully renovated or at least some modern and luxurious 4 x 4 vehicles parked in the narrow streets. That was not the case. The same 23 hunters, the same homes, same cars, same joy.

Thanks for sharing. A true memorable experience that is more than run and gun

Sounds like quite an experience! Coming from British Colombia, I was curious as to what one of the "remotest areas of Spain" would be like....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyJuan9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?