Hygiene and scent

In America I am a scent freak having multiple car on suits and bathe in scent proof soaps etc. but in Africa it is all about hunting with the wind in your face. Especially for DG you have multiple people so asking them to do what you do makes little sense...hunt into the wind or cross wind is the receipe for success

In America I am a scent freak having multiple car on suits and bathe in scent proof soaps etc. but in Africa it is all about hunting with the wind in your face. Especially for DG you have multiple people so asking them to do what you do makes little sense...hunt into the wind or cross wind is the receipe for success
I have always believed that animals are smarter than people give them credit.
The animals in africa smellna restaurant 20 miles away, they are familiar with it. The local outfitters also have certain smells that im sure the animals are use to.
Me coming from america smelling like a product the animals dont know, might be a concern.
I agree that the wind is your best friend in stalking. But winds change and sometimes you cant get up wind.
Im jist looking for every edge I can get !

Just find some animal dung laying about before you start your stalk and rub it all over yourself.

We used to do that when hunting elk here in the US and it works fairly well.

Just find some animal dung laying about before you start your stalk and rub it all over yourself.

We used to do that when hunting elk here in the US and it works fairly well.
Im worried about scent when hunting. But, thats a bit much for me.
I know some hunters that use deer urine on their clothes, but not me.

I use products by scent killer and dead downwind for my laundry and personal use. They aren’t miracle workers but they don’t smell like tide or sauve either. I store my clothes in a tight closet with sage branches and pine boughs. This Won’t help you much in Africa but when you are there you will have a ph amd trackers keeping you constantly downwind and in the shade-

I don’t think there is such thing as scent free.

I am a fan of using local pine chips in a container with the clothing, that seems to help some.

The last thing I worry about is what soap I use to wash my body or my clothes (unless we are talking insect repellent). If an animal catches your wind - whether you have bathed in ivory or water from the river Jordan - they will scent you. Period. To my PH's and trackers relief, I use Arid Extra Dry every morning and a scented balm for shaving. I also brush my teeth with a peppermint flavored tooth paste. Pretty sure that I have never startled an animal that wouldn't have been startled anyway by that frustrating shift in the wind.

The key is to not let a target get your wind or see movement. The rest is for the obsessive compulsive amongst us who also worry about copper fowling, appropriate camouflage, survival kits, or that the 6.5 PRC or Creedmoor might actually be something new. :cool:

The last thing I worry about is what soap I use to wash my body or my clothes (unless we are talking insect repellent). If an animal catches your wind - whether you have bathed in ivory or water from the river Jordan - they will scent you. Period. To my PH's and trackers relief, I use Arid Extra Dry every morning and a scented balm for shaving. I also brush my teeth with a peppermint flavored tooth paste. Pretty sure that I have never startled an animal that wouldn't have been startled anyway by that frustrating shift in the wind.

The key is to not let a target get your wind or see movement. The rest is for the obsessive compulsive amongst us who also worry about copper fowling, appropriate camouflage, survival kits, or that the 6.5 PRC or Creedmoor might actually be something new. :cool:
I hear ya. Im a smoker, so Im pretty screwed on the smell deal anyway.
You did bring up a great point though. Bug spray, sun lotion and maybe foot powder.
Im a big fan of being on the right side of the wind.
But getting older, I cant move like a young man. Its harder to change with the wind or to crawl than it was 30yrs ago. Lol

My trick is:
I boil a bucket of water, and boil in it with local plants: leaves, grass, bush.
When it cools down, it is the essence of local plants fragrance.
then i dump my hunting clothes in it.
Then I dry the clothes.
I do this few days before hunting.

Then I dress the clothes like that. It smells like local woods.
Probably drives the women mad too!

In the military days we didn't bath at all for the two week stint. Several times I recall sitting brewing tea surrounded by elephant that just whafted in. Then on extrication day when the trucks arrived, even stationary, the ellies went mad. So..... dont shower, or just water shower! For the clothes part, sit by the fire for your morning coffee and get nice and smoky.

I hear ya. Im a smoker, so Im pretty screwed on the smell deal anyway.
You did bring up a great point though. Bug spray, sun lotion and maybe foot powder.
Im a big fan of being on the right side of the wind.
But getting older, I cant move like a young man. Its harder to change with the wind or to crawl than it was 30yrs ago. Lol
I know how to crawl at my age, been married for 50 years

I know how to crawl at my age, been married for 50 years
If you can crawl, I salute you!
I can still crawl at 48. But not as comfortably as 18,lol. I work out 5 days a week, but time and injuries pay their toll. I boxed for 12 years, have always been about fitness. Getting older though, i have no recourse.
I sure wish I had the energy to crawl and for 2 hrs.
My dad was born in 1919, in ww2 he fought the japs on island hopping adventures. Back in the day when they thought guns gave away position, so was only armed with a knife and piano string, had to get a gun after the first kill. He was every bit the perfect man I picture. I was born whe he was 56. And he had the energy to see me for alot of hunts, until the lord took him when I was 23.
He was a strong, hard,smart and loving father/man.
Will be hard to live up to his legacy!
I wish I had his patience, and strength!
I just cant do the crawling!
I try with my grandson, he tires me. Lol

Remeber the first time i hunted Boar in Romanaia ... got told i smelt like a bitch (deodorant) and then had the pleasure of my shooting buddy picking a large mushroom and then rubbing it all round my face and neck

Took two guys a couple of years ago one did as i suggested showered with no soap etc the other decided to smoke a cuban cigar just before we went out ! Guess who didnt see anything all night whilst the other had a 250kg tusker :)

Used to mess with all that stuff. I bring unscented detergent, unscented bar of soap and play the wind. Eventually they will bust you. But if it gives you a few seconds or a few extra yards, it's worth the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drmamambatu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.