Hunting with dangerous game cartridges outside of Africa?

9.3x62 Mauser is my go-to on elk. I've hunted with that rifle for several years with much success. Its power to knock down elk is "authoritative". I've also used it on bears (2) and numerous feral hogs and trips to Africa. My 404J has only been used on paper and gongs outside Africa. I am hoping there's a hunt in the near future for it on Alaskan big bears.

375 H&H with 300 grain TSX worked well on a bison @ 200 yards.
Sub zero temps on the South Dakota plains last January. The 375 performed much better then I did in snow shoes. As stated earlier it eliminated the need for tracking.
That's awesome. A Bison hunt is on my wish list and I've considered taking either the 375, a 416 or the 458.

I have shot a couple of moose, 2 roe deer and 2 foxes with my .375 Flanged Magnum.

I've taken deer with the 416 Rigby & 350 grain Speer bullets. In the end, anything within 200 yards is as easy with a 416 as a 257 if you don't mind the recoil. I'd love to hunt costal brown bear with it but $$$.

I've taken deer with the 416 Rigby & 350 grain Speer bullets. In the end, anything within 200 yards is as easy with a 416 as a 257 if you don't mind the recoil. I'd love to hunt costal brown bear with it but $$$.
What was the result on deer with the Ribgy, any meat damage? complete pass through? How far did it go?

IMG_5454.jpeg
458 a couple weeks ago

I carried my 404 elk hunting last fall. Shot at a coyote and missed. I doubt I'll use it again for elk. My old elk hunting grounds are trashed by over hunting. Didn't even see a petrified turd the last two years. The biologist at the check station said the entire mountain range is a wasteland now. Too many wolves and redneck locals helping themselves year round. I may resume moose hunting here and if I do the 404 will do the job fine. However, that is doubtful. The resource has been bled to death. Contemplating hunting the Yukon or Alaska. If I can get the 404 to group 350 gr it should be an excellent cartridge for big North American species.

I carried my 404 elk hunting last fall. Shot at a coyote and missed. I doubt I'll use it again for elk. My old elk hunting grounds are trashed by over hunting. Didn't even see a petrified turd the last two years. The biologist at the check station said the entire mountain range is a wasteland now. Too many wolves and redneck locals helping themselves year round. I may resume moose hunting here and if I do the 404 will do the job fine. However, that is doubtful. The resource has been bled to death. Contemplating hunting the Yukon or Alaska. If I can get the 404 to group 350 gr it should be an excellent cartridge for big North American species.
I would skip Alaska as a destination, alaska has really suffered from mismanagement of the game, unless you book a hunt through a outfiter and imo that is also risky unless you do some major homework on who you want to book with
we had a terrible time dealing with local residents while moose hunting
and again on a Dall sheep hunt

In Spain, some hunters use the .375HH for wild boar on driven hunts.

I won´t go that far, and use only the .338WM :)

I have taken two bull moose with my 375 H&H. The first one was at 275 yard with a 270 gr Hornady Interlock. Bullet fragmented on the rib cage. Thought we lost him but 2+ hours later I found him about the same time as the coyotes. They had stripped all the hair off his belly. When we processed him there were bullet fragments all through the meat and into it's liver. Piss poor bullet performance so now its relegated to target shooting only. Won't even take that bullet as a give away. Second moose was with a 300 gr TSX. Texas heart shot at 100 yards, right up the hooper because he was facing away. Bullet ended up in the forward chest cavity. No blood trail and I don't think it wasted a pound of meat. Barnes TSX (y). Hornady Interlock(n)

I love that 300 TSX in the 375. It's superb for almost any DG except where solids are needed and for all PG.

Interesting that you mention BPE...I have several vintage guns that I want to exercise on US hunts of some kind...577, 577/500, 500, 450, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnitraSlad

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,