Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 33 US states and counting
Who has hunted all of the buffalo sub-species in Africa? Have any of you gone on to hunt most of the world's wild cattle/bovine/buffalo? I don't remember what all of the species are but you have the African buffalo and sub-species, banteng and water buffalo in Oz, water buffalo in South America...bison in North America and/or Europe...just for discussion you can include muskoxen in the north...what about gaur in Asia? I'm thinking of wild species not those found in small parks/ranches. Just curious who is working on hunting all of these? What have I forgotten? Yak don't seem interesting but maybe they are part of the list.

Cape buffalo and Watusi are all I have taken. I like where you are going with this. I thought about it myself. Then I looked at the cost and my checking account and realized as expensive as shooting matches are this endeavor with eclipse that 10X. So shooting matches is it for me.

Cape buffalo are a love of course! I will do 2-3 this year but it has me thinking...what other sub-species should I try for...and I haven't hunted Oz yet...or muskox. Is there any gaur hunting left in the world? Just thinking out loud. I'm not big into registering animals but there is probably a bovine slam or something on wild cattle. I will ask Boddington about it at DSC this weekend.

Cape buffalo are a love of course! I will do 2-3 this year but it has me thinking...what other sub-species should I try for...and I haven't hunted Oz yet...or muskox. Is there any gaur hunting left in the world? Just thinking out loud. I'm not big into registering animals but there is probably a bovine slam or something on wild cattle. I will ask Boddington about it at DSC this weekend.

Gaur is something I have looked for. I'm not sure it is possible, it being the largest. Would love a go at one!

Yes I was thinking he might reply when he sees this.

On my third trip I was allowed to sit on a ridgetop and watch for a kudu bull I wounded the evening before while PH and tracker were trying to push it out of a long valley to me. Suddenly something white moved in the brush below. Then I saw it looking right at me! A Charlais cow. What in blazes? We were hunting at the end of the earth in rugged mountain country. Almost instantly the bossy buggered off. When reunited with my PH later I told him about it. "Oh damn! You should have shot her. She and two speckled girlfriends showed up five years ago and I've been trying to kill them. But they are wilder than any kudu. Smart buggers. If you see them again, shoot." Well, okay but how does SCI measure polled cattle with no horns? He said he'd check into it. :D I didn't see them again. We did get the kudu the following morning, my last day hunting before flying out.

Last edited:
That reminds me...I've gotten curious about these wild cattle in Hawaii too. That could be a lot of fun with a double rifle in the thick cover.

Gaur is something I have looked for. I'm not sure it is possible, it being the largest. Would love a go at one!
To my knowledge, and as per my research, it is not possible to hunt gaur anywhere legally.

I have discussed this with few Bangladesh forum members in the past.

Moreover, in his book about Buffalo, Boddington, basically states the same - adding that this is a shame because gaur is not threatened.
There is occasional legal kill, in the countries of its natural range, as problematic animal, by local hunter.
Thats it.
There was a possibility to hunt gaur on some ranches in Texas, but I don't see this anymore.

Was that the book where Craig discusses shooting a water buffalo in the Philippines with a service M14? I remember him saying it was kind of sketchy...FMJ's and old ammo in thick cover.

Was that the book where Craig discusses shooting a water buffalo in the Philippines with a service M14? I remember him saying it was kind of sketchy...FMJ's and old ammo in thick cover.
I think, yes.
I have both of his books about buffalo hunting. "Buffalo" and "Buffalo II"

I have those and his DVDs...and also Peter Flack has some good books on buffalo...and of course Kevin Robertson. Also the mountain hunting DVDs on buffalo are very good by that German PH...name escapes me. There are 4 of those.

I have those and his DVDs...and also Peter Flack has some good books on buffalo...and of course Kevin Robertson. Also the mountain hunting DVDs on buffalo are very good by that German PH...name escapes me. There are 4 of those.
Rainer Josch is who you are thinking of and his DVD's are extraordinary - proving it is possible to create informative art. I find Boddington lecturing me pretty much unwatchable.

Hunting wild Zebu crossbreed cattle that run wild in the Cain breaks on the Rio Grande is a major sporting challenge, those cattle have been running wild since the 1600’s
they carry some serious diseases spread by the ticks they carry.
I used to love to hunt them when I had access to them, major fun with deer rifle
and profitable hunting when you kill one or find a dead head to sell .
its to bad there’s guys with machine guns smuggling methamphemins and human trafficking slaves
i would love to hunt All know wild bovine at some point

Rainer Josch is who you are thinking of and his DVD's are extraordinary - proving it is possible to create informative art. I find Boddington lecturing me pretty much unwatchable.
I don't know anyone who has hunted with Josch. I've sent a few emails that didn't get a reply. Perhaps he is retired now.

I have the Southern Cape buffalo, the Nile buffalo, Western Savannah buffalo and Central Savannah buffalo... just need a Dwarf Forest buff I think to finish out the African bovine. Shot buff and banteng in Oz. Just didn't have the heart to shoot buff in Argentina, just stood and looked at me. And did get a muskox in Greenland... love hunting the wild bovine!

I have the Southern Cape buffalo, the Nile buffalo, Western Savannah buffalo and Central Savannah buffalo...
This is awesome!
What is the trophy type you have chosen? Scull mounts or shoulder mounts?

Great thread - I thought about starting something similar a while back during the Chinese year of the Ox. Seemed fitting.

@Green Chile have you read Horned Giants by Brandt? I recently picked up a copy I have yet to read. He attempts to cover the topic exhaustively.

I have no real experience to speak with bovines, but that's something I hope to change soon. Intrigued by them all categorically.

Chasing wild bulls in Hawaii sounds really cool (very unique and a real pest/threat to the island ecosystems). Same for scrubbers in Oz. I think there was (is?) opportunity in Texas at some point to hunt San Mateo (i.e., Toro Bravo, Spanish Fighting bulls). Lots of unique opportunities out there in small pockets.

I absolutely love hunting the wild bovines. My modest bag over the years (so far) includes

A few Cape buffalo
1704864032006.png

1704864118322.png

1704864215002.png

1704864275854.png

1704864325700.png

1704864382306.png

1704864455046.png

1704864584537.png

1704864712155.png

A few Asiatic water buffalo
1704865098971.png

1704865201052.png

1704865243937.png

1704865324545.png

1704865582892-png.579527

1704866358426.png

A Seladang in Chiangmai, Northern Thailand
1704866680757.png

In the false ceiling above my study room, I also have a few more albums with photographs my hunts for:
-A few more Cape buffalo
-An American bison
-A South Bengal Gaur (this one wasn't a hunt but had ambushed our unit during nighttime patrol in the Chittagong Hill Tracts during the 1971 Indo-Pak war and was shot by several of us during a random encounter)
- An Argentine buffalo
- An Australian Banteng

Please remind me on the 28th of this month. My son and daughter-in-law will return to the country and will help me find those albums. Then, I'll upload those pictures too.

I dream of someday hunting:
- An European bison
- An Australian scrub bull
- A West African forest buffalo (dwarf buffalo)

Among the wild bovine species which I've hunted so far, Seladang would have to be the most cunning. And unfortunately the largest and heaviest. To make matters worse, I was only armed with a .30-06 Springfield at that time.

P.S: If any of you gents would really like to hunt problem Gaur animals (seriously), do drop me a line sometime.

Attachments

• 1704864516905.png
    1704864516905.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • 1704865582892.png
    1704865582892.png
    2 MB · Views: 435
  • 1704866416954.png
    1704866416954.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 1704866535533.png
    1704866535533.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiaWoodley

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)