Hunting multiple buffalo

I’ve only been on one plains game safari and had a blast. Now looking at a buffalo hunt in a wilderness area for my second hunt. Still a couple years out but already starting to look at options. My question is do any of you try and take 2 buffalo bulls on the same hunt? Reason that I ask is you’re paying a DG daily rate at 1k plus a day and most of the trophy fees seem reasonable. Plus you’re already over there. Do most outfitters have enough tags to allow this and encourage it.
For less money why not get a tuskless elephant versus a second buff

Definatley try to negotiate with the outfitter while you are over there. On my last hunt I was in SA to hunt buffalo, the hunt was 10 days and I had 6 days left after I killed my buff. The wheeling and dealing started almost immediately and I ended up negotiating many other hunts to include blue wildebeest (1/2 price), bushbuck (full pirce), warthog (full price) a roan and nyala hunt where I got the nyala for free , and finally a white blesbok (2/3 price). Outfitters are in the buiness of making money and know where they can make deals and where they can't.

IMG_1305.JPEG
IMG_1323.JPEG
IMG_1480.JPEG
IMG_1535.JPEG
IMG_1583.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:
Definatley try to negotiate with the outfitter while you are over there. On my last hunt I was in SA to hunt buffalo, the hunt was 10 days and I had 6 days left after I killed my buff. The wheeling and dealing started almost immediately and I ended up negotiating many other hunts to include blue wildebeest (1/2 price), bushbuck (full pirce), warthog (full price) a roan and nyala hunt where I got the nyala for free , and finally a white blesbok (2/3 price). Outfitters are in the buiness of making money and know where they can make deals and where they can't.
You will not find this type of wheeling and dealing in a safari or campfire area. The trophy fees are not set by the outfitter.

Like @revturbo9967 said you really won’t see these deals in a wilderness area. The prices are set by community or even paid in advance by outfitter to government. Private land in South Africa is a special case because game is privately owned and widely available. There are also many different ranches and landowners to negotiate with. In a wild area you have one and maybe access to a neighboring concession. Many areas in Zimbabwe actually have lower plains game quotas than buffalo. The only time deals like this will occur is end of season hunts so outfitter can try to recoup some of their money or make the community happier before the season ends.

Tahzania. On a twenty-one day license I had 4 Buff and a choice of nearly any game animal, including lion and leopard. I bagged 2 buffalo and spent the balance of my time hunting PG and a larger (40"+) buffalo. This was a true wilderness hunt from a deluxe tents camp, IMO, THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

It costs a bit more to have nearly unlimited options, but you only live once.

Guys thanks for the advice. Some great info here. As always appreciate the help.

Isn't there a deal being offered now for 3 buffalo cows for $7500?

If it sounds too good to be true then watch out no disrespect intended. 3 for $7500 from my experience there is a catch somewhere

If it sounds too good to be true then watch out no disrespect intended. 3 for $7500 from my experience there is a catch somewhere

I've hunted with Stuart and Rudi of @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS twice. One could not ask for a more honest outfitter. When they say no extra charges they mean it.

The 3 buffalo deal was advertised as females. They may be old, broken horned, or just a few cows they want removed from their gene pool.

I don't think one will shoot anything worth sending to the taxidermist. The hunts should however be very good since getting close to a heard of cows and young bulls so one can kill a specific cow is not easy.

I posted hunt reports of my experiences hunting @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS . I would post a link but I on the road today with limited bandwidth..

I’ve only been on one plains game safari and had a blast. Now looking at a buffalo hunt in a wilderness area for my second hunt. Still a couple years out but already starting to look at options. My question is do any of you try and take 2 buffalo bulls on the same hunt? Reason that I ask is you’re paying a DG daily rate at 1k plus a day and most of the trophy fees seem reasonable. Plus you’re already over there. Do most outfitters have enough tags to allow this and encourage it.
Tanzania is the most value for money when you want 2 Bulls in one safari.

Yes. Game on license depends on the length of your booked hunt. When you books longer hunt you get more animals on license. In TZ a 21 day hunt offers FOUR buffalo, plus species (like lion) that are not available on shorter hunts. You can also buy licenses for longer or multiple hunts, but use them on a shorter safari.

Can you do 2 buffaloes on a 10 day hunt?
My son and friend that are going with me next month are each hunting on a 10-day license. Each hunter is licensed for 2-buffalo, zebra, hartebeest, impala, duiker, warthog, bushpig and possibly wildebeest but I don’t recall for sure on that last one. My son is hunting as a companion hunter, so his licensed animals actually come off my quota rather than having his in addition to my animals. The benefit to this approach is he gets charged as an observer rather than as a full hunter, which saves substantial money.

The next ‘step-up‘ is what I’m doing, which is a 16-day hunt with a 21-day license. This allows 3-buffalo, leopard, hippo, crocodile and Plains game. Even with my son taking animals from my quota, there is still plenty left for me. I won’t come close to shooting everything I’m allocated as I’ve got 20 animals on license & quota.

Last edited:
Zim is perfect for a nice buff and tuskless 10 day hunt. Daily rates $900 per day, buff $5500, tuskless &4500
I just booked a buffalo/tuskless hunt with Dalton and York for Sept 2025, given everything, I feel it is a good deal. I first hunted the Omay in 1988, I'm anxious to see what it looks like 37 years later!!

If you book far in advance this can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RubenDurha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.