Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I read an article in a gun magazine about hunting Australian buffalo using 308s.
The buff charged the hunters and lucky for them they managed to drop the bull at a very close range to them.
They were nowhere near a car to escape.
I call this foolhardy!!
It was their first buff hunt and from my perspective it could have been their last!!!

I think there are plenty of people who have hunted them with .308, thousands have been culled with a .308.

I haven't seen hunted them but I would not set out to hunt them on foot with just a .308.

I think there are plenty of people who have hunted them with .308, thousands have been culled with a .308.

I haven't seen hunted them but I would not set out to hunt them on foot with just a .308.

Me neither
I carry my 416

I wouldn’t bet my tree climbing skills (none) on it! LOL

Must tell you a story

Michael (Katherine country in NT) and friends went out to get a meat buff shot one and walked up. What could possibly go wrong w a shot buff with a 308???
Buff stood up that’s what.
Michael and co climbed trees like monkeys.
Problem list fight if the buff. Not a good idea I might add.
Only climbed down after hearing a big thump on the ground!!
He will be taking me for a buff hunt but I will use my 416 with 400 grain swifts a d Woodleigh hydros.
No wimpy 308 for walking up on buff for me!

Not really a smart move to start a hunt for Buffalo with only a 308Win but it will work with nice Brain shots & good bullets.

I was a commercial Buff shooter for a Portable Abattoir in my youth & we (the Boss) worked our way down from 338Win with 300gr soft nose to 30/06 Ball down to 308 Win Ball, terrible bullets to, as I remember 144gr Boat Tail .

P.S Oh we mainly shot from cut down 4X4's - mainly Toyota Landcruisers .

Must tell you a story

Michael (Katherine country in NT) and friends went out to get a meat buff shot one and walked up. What could possibly go wrong w a shot buff with a 308???
Buff stood up that’s what.
Michael and co climbed trees like monkeys.
Problem list fight if the buff. Not a good idea I might add.
Only climbed down after hearing a big thump on the ground!!
He will be taking me for a buff hunt but I will use my 416 with 400 grain swifts a d Woodleigh hydros.
No wimpy 308 for walking up on buff for me!

Lost sight
Stupid auto text

Not really a smart move to start a hunt for Buffalo with only a 308Win but it will work with nice Brain shots & good bullets.

I was a commercial Buff shooter for a Portable Abattoir in my youth & we (the Boss) worked our way down from 338Win with 300gr soft nose to 30/06 Ball down to 308 Win Ball, terrible bullets to, as I remember 144gr Boat Tail .

P.S Oh we mainly shot from cut down 4X4's - mainly Toyota Landcruisers .
Cool,
I watched a you tube clip on pro Buffalo harvesters.
I think t was the Bulman camp

a good 250 gr bullet at 2500 fps out of a 35 whelen would let the air out of a buffalo pretty quick if hit right. (3400 fpe), no gut-ass shots.

Like everything - hit in the right place w sufficient energy. It’s what happens when the shot isn’t placed “just right”- that’s when problems arise (rather quickly and problems suddenly cascade).
A friend shot a buff w a 270 / from memory he shot the buff near its ear
I’ll stick to my 416 when on foot

308 for buf? Sounds Kinda like a death wish.
As you see in the clip they harvest from a vehicle.
a good 250 gr bullet at 2500 fps out of a 35 whelen would let the air out of a buffalo pretty quick if hit right. (3400 fpe), no gut-ass shots.
Looks like the mighty .35Whelen is to become "The new normal" move over .308

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaninaRel7

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair