How Much do You Shoot Your Big Bore?

tward1604

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
USA
How much do yall shoot your big bores a year? I've only shot 404 Jeffery around 120 times. If they'd let me take it on deployment I could've added to that number substantially :ROFLMAO: . I don't have a safari on the books just yet but I do love shooting the thing. I feel I am pretty proficient with it already because it fits so well.

Lets hear it. how often do you shoot the big stuff and how many rounds do you think you've got in them?

I shot 5 deer with my double this year and I think 7 hogs? dont keep track of the hogs as much

put 2-3 boxes through the 375, 458 and 450/400 each annualy.

I have one or two events where they really get exercised and I share them with guys who enjoy shooting them (hundreds of rounds in 2-3 days) but my 375s, 416s, 458s and 500s between them all is somewhere between 500-1000 rounds annually.

Honestly, I have, well don't, keep track of how many trips to the range any of my firearms make.

Unless testing new recipes or staring on developing a reload recipe for a new or new to me firearm; I usually take 10 to 30 rounds of test ammo run the test ammo over the chrono, run the math, and go from there.

And since I'm already at the range, I have pre-planned to take other firearms to also shoot, at least 4 others, with 50 to 100 rounds per firearm. What dictates the number of rounds per weapon is how many rounds I want to send down range from that weapon. As far as the big bores the 375H&H and the 458WM same goes, 60 to 100 rounds each down range in one session.

My routine: shoot 2 to 4 rounds, with time between shots, then rotate to another firearm, by the time I have rotated back to the first firearm the barrel has cooled/ is cold. Then repeat. Intermittently, at some point, multiple times throughout the session, I'll speed shoot: first shot off sticks with second shot either off sticks or offhand. Trying to immulate a fast second follow up shot on game. Doing this at 50 and 100 yards, IF I'm the only one at the range then I'll move forward of the tables/benches to 40 and 70 to 80 yards at the 100 yard range from the same spot I'm shooting the 40 yard target.

Always follow rule #1 never have a weapon and no ammo for it. So I always leave the range with at least 5 to 10 rounds per weapon with exception, my carry guns, I maintain 50 rounds on hand after range time.

Varies from gun to gun and what I feel like playing with.

My 416 has been ignored for a while now. But the new 8-bore has been getting shot every weekend.

Honestly, I'll have to admit, that I let the big guns rest until I know there is an upcoming hunt.

(Unless, a friend just wants to experience the recoil of a .470 NE)

When a hunt is scheduled, I first take them to a level range, with known distances, and sight-in everything I might consider taking on the hunt.

I will choose two rifles that best suit the needs of the trip, and fire several shots each week (mainly at home), until I leave for the excursion.

I do compete in monthly tournaments and probably average at least 400 rounds/month with some type of rifle.

To answer directly...not as much as I should. And I also admit to not shooting a big bore, just a measly little rat caliber 375H&H.

That being said, both my wife and I do dry fire practice on the regular to maintain a level of proficiency with our rifles. If we don't have a hunt coming up, the live fire range sessions fall by the wayside more than a little bit...maybe shooting 6-8 shots every two months or so.

If we do have a hunt approaching the training regimen is stepped up. Dry fire goes to at least every other day with weekly range sessions to verify proper technique for about a year prior to the hunt. The last three months before the hunt, range sessions are stepped up to twice a week with daily dry fire.

Dry firing my 404 gives me all the practice I need. Components are rare and expensive. Also, I have several retina detachments in my medical history. I save recoil and $$$ for the hunt.

I don’t shoot mine anyway as much as I’d like to, probably only twenty rounds so far this year, and that was just to show other people before letting them have a go.
gumpy

I shot my .375 Flanged Magnum about 300 rounds before selling it, only five of those at game:giggle:

Anyone use a laser trainer with dry fire?

Dry fire and live ammo as often as I can. I actually enjoy shooting them. .505 Gibbs at the top of recoil
IMG_3658.jpeg

And I also admit to not shooting a big bore, just a measly little rat caliber 375H&H.
HEH HEH........ Well Said...............

Today, no where even close to what I was shooting some years ago. At the height of B&M development, load and pressure data, bullet tech and testing, and throwing several hunts in each year I would be shooting between 8000-10000 rounds of big bore each year, the vast vast majority of that being .458 to .500 caliber, with a small amount of .416, and when Sam and I was doing the double rifle work here we were shooting a lot of 500 NE and 577 NE doing load data and bullet tech for doubles. We had 2-3 range days each week, and I am talking DAYS, not a few hours.........

Now that all the major load data is done, bullet tech is done, and I am retired from hunting, it is only the occasional test project. Now probably guessing a 1000 rounds a year would be average. Although that can go up depending on the project, recently we had a 20 inch 458 Winchester project with new load data, and some new bullet testing that easily fired 500 or so rounds in that alone.

It is really difficult for me to get interested in anything much less than 458 caliber........... But on occasion I have special projects in minor calibers .224 and .308. Those projects do not last too long, just until I accomplish the mission....... then I am bored with that........... We just finished up a .308 Solid test with 308 Winchester and 300 Winchester........ finished, now those are put away...... that sort of thing..............

I have to drive about an hour and a half to get to a big bore range. Do it about every other week. Usuall shoot one of the 375 HH and alternate between a 416 Rigby and a 458 Lott. Shoot about 15 to 20 rounds from each. Will then shoot another lighter caliber or a rim fire.Mostly the rim fire for practice.
Primers are getting to be a concern but powder and bullets have been hard to find at times but I continue to be fortunate.

I shoot my 375HH a few times a year, My 404 Jeff is once a year affair(even reloaded rounds are expensive)

Damn, and I thought I was addicted to recoil so with the world in short ends with powder, primers and bullets we do make plans with local bullets and look very well after our cases but I probarbly do about 200 rounds +- with my 458 Lott and about 50 with the 375 H&H per year.

But I must say that number will probarbly shrink if powder prices and primers keep going up as they are but I would still try do a minimum of 120 shots per year with the 458 lott and still about 50 with the 375.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaMaur64

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….