Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
I've been reading the various threads about bringing cash to Africa and am wondering how much people generally bring to cover incidentals/trinkets/etc? I'm trying to get an appreciation for how much souvenirs and the like cost in South Africa (we won't be purchasing anything huge, probably just smaller carvings/statues/etc.)

Right now I'm planning the following for my wife and I:

-$XXXX for Tips
-$500 for souvenirs
-$500 for incidentals
(I will be paying any outstanding balance with my outfitter via check)

I will be in RSA for 2 weeks total: Arrive, spend the night in joburg, one day driving to NW province, 2 days hunting, 1 day back to joburg, link up with second outfitter, 7 day hunt in Limpopo, 1 day back in joburg on day of return flight.

I'm not a huge fan of traveling with thousands of dollars in cash.

-Has anyone encountered issues with robbery/theft in RSA?
-Any tips for how to avoid getting into these types of situations (my main concern is time spent in Joburg prior to the safari kicking off)?
-Should I be concerned about theft at my lodge while out hunting (hunting with one of this site's sponsors in Limpopo)?

Thanks for any input/recommendations!

What do you think the total for your hunt might be? A two day hunt isn't going to need that big of a tip unless you are going to hunt a lion or something in the $15000 plus range.

I carried less than $500 cash ... other than for tips. I was able to use my Visa (with chip) very similar to U.S. for hotels, restaurants, rental car. If you need more cash just use an ATM (make sure and tell both the credit card and bank that you are traveling.

Thanks for the feedback.

@Bhfs300 I've already figured out what my tips will be. I'm more interested in what I should anticipate spending for souvenirs and incidentals while traveling around.

Also I bring US$ for tips but I use my card for SAR for tips for everyone but the PH. You could get cash there as needed for the incidentals and souvenirs. That way you would not have a bunch of money on you all the time. I have allways been with the people I have been hunting with but would not be concerned when you are with them. The rest of the time when it is just you and your wife in a rented car that you would need to be no more concerned than on vacation in some other country,

I would want my cash and passport put in a safe, most lodges have one. I had $1200 stolen from my room on one hunt!

Last year I took $1000 US converted over to SA rand for my trip and another $1000 US.

Between all the tips that I gave out to the trackers, skinners, cooks, maids, and a week long tour I ended up coming home with 1800 SA rand or about $180 at that time. I also paid all hotel and meals with my CC except for when we would just stop at a fast food joint as we were touring. Towards the end of the trip I was paying everything that I could in rand to to get rid of it.

If I were to do it again I think that I would only change around $500 to rand just for the tips around the hunting lodge to the workers. I tipped my PH in US dollars and paid for the video of my hunt in US along with a couple of other things when they asked for US dollars. I brought home only $200 US.

I would want my cash and passport put in a safe, most lodges have one. I had $1200 stolen from my room on one hunt!

I placed all of my money inside of my locked rifle case while I was out. There was also a lockable gun safe in my room. Now how many others had a key to that lock I do not know but I was the only one that had the key to my rifle case.

Most curio shops in SA take credit card and at least my Am Ex had a decent exchange rate. I converted $200 US into Rand and took another $500 US cash. I still came home with some.

I took $700 and had plenty left over after the trip. Here's a tip: Convert to Rand at the Airport and keep the receipt. Then when you come back with all that Rand you can convert it back to US at the same rate (minus a small "transaction fee").
I had close to $500 in Rand and was going to convert it in Port Elizabeth at the money exchange - they offered like $185 I said that's not right so she counted again and offered like $215. I said never mind and left. At the airport (after leaving some with PH) I converted almost $400 back.
I did not buy a lot of souvenirs obviously!

From what I have seen the airport is one of the last places to get money converted. They don't even ask you to bend over as they are doing it to you.

Just go to your bank and be done with it. Save the left over rand for your next trip.

Thanks for all the feedback!

It sounds like many of you used Rand to pay for smaller items. I had originally just planned to bring USD and not convert anything. Now I'm reconsidering.

-Has anyone encountered issues with robbery/theft in RSA? ..............

In cities and towns take the same precautions you would in a city at home.
Put stuff in a safe when available. (as suggested)

It is best to dress and act inconspicuously like this:
barcelona_pickpockets.jpg

I carried less than $500 cash ... other than for tips. I was able to use my Visa (with chip) very similar to U.S. for hotels, restaurants, rental car. If you need more cash just use an ATM (make sure and tell both the credit card and bank that you are traveling.

This. I would add though that you should make sure you have a card without a foreign transaction fee, or that you understand what it is at the very least. They can be significant.

I do like having some Rand for small stuff, but just a couple thousand. I don't carry much cash here, nor do I there.

And remember, if you have Rand left over at the end you can always use it as tip money and keep the dollars so you don't have to recover anything.

I would take a mix of rand and USD, not much however like Royal stated. The USD for emergencies and to tip your PH

This. I would add though that you should make sure you have a card without a foreign transaction fee, or that you understand what it is at the very least. They can be significant.

I do like having some Rand for small stuff, but just a couple thousand. I don't carry much cash here, nor do I there.

And remember, if you have Rand left over at the end you can always use it as tip money and keep the dollars so you don't have to recover anything.

good point ... I don't have foreign transaction fee and the ATM gives Rand for local transactions.

I take a mix of rand and dollars! When I didn't spend the rand I just kept it fir the next trip! Wear a money pouch inside your shirt when out or invest in one of the cabelas leather belts that has a zipper on the inside that you can put folded money in!

JIm, I actually got a better rate than the bank, plus they wanted another "overnight fee" since they were mailing currency and some hidden surcharges. In the ATL airport, at the exchange place, you keep the receipt and can convert back to US at the same rate, PLUS the lady asked if I was Military (I am retired) so I said yes and there was no other fee!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia