How far do you have to travel to even hunt?

I just make sure the muzzle blast clears the window/door I am shooting out of. (LOL) Coyotes/racoons/bobcats/deer right there. My best hunting grounds are 25 minutes away.

When you retrieve deer in the front end loader on your tractor, you can consider yourself blessed. ;)

Just have to step out my back door, I am pretty lucky!
Snapchat-388955887.jpg

So the biggest deer I have seen in my state of Missouri is in my back yard. My wife has named this 10 pointer that has no fear of humans as the “Daddy deer” , this creature is off limits to me. To truly conceal myself from this beast would be to masquerade as a Webber kettle. My hunting group travels to various parts of the country in pursuit of our passion. We try and make the trip there last several days and look for historic and interesting places along the way. For what ever odd reason distilleries and good steak houses can often cause our group to wander. So how far to travel? Remember life and hunting are not an end result but in fact a journey for those inspired to pursue life at its finest. Many more trips to Africa are planned, with each trip stop and smell the roses, go to those places unplanned and enjoy this magnificent place that god has allowed you to exist. Every morning upon awakening see the glory of the day before you.

Turkey/deer/bear = 10 min to my preferred spot.

Waterfowl on water= 30 min to a spot I don't necessarily prefer but will go if it is all I can manage that day. 1:15 to 2+ hours to the spots I really prefer to go.

Waterfowl in the field= 15 min to my spring goose spot. 1:00 to 2+ hours for other species like snow geese.

Most people find it surprising this is all NJ.

C9ACDEF3-7CD1-4F86-A84B-0BAC0A61E1A4.jpeg

Views from the cabin. We can hunt Elk, Whitetail, Mule Deer, Moose, Black Bear, Wolf, and Cougar in this area. There are Bighorn Sheep on the closer mountain but this unit is closed. We have to travel about 20 kms to get into viable sheep hunting territory.
72308896-AA7C-468F-A0E5-8E142C47A70F.jpeg

I am an hour to the area I hunt waterfowl. I am 1800 km (one long day or two easy days) from my camp where I hunt moose, deers and bears.

I forgot who but someone responded "You should leave the city immediately. All of societies problems come from the cities. Nothing good happens there cause it isn’t real." that was a good laugh considering they are chatting on a digital website that isn't real either. Just saying

You should leave the city immediately. All of societies problems come from the cities. Nothing good happens there cause it isn’t real. Just saying.
Exactly. Nothing good can come from large employers, industries and economic generators. Not to mention the evil universities, hospitals, art museums, theaters and symphonies. Don’t even get me started on sports teams and arenas! Obviously no one could ever bear to live in a city, except for the literal billions of people worldwide who do.

I’m very fortunate to live on a place where I can walk out the door and hunt some species although I must say, the further away I can get, the better! I have some kudu, bushbuck, blesbuck, Duiker and Steenbuck around my house but I prefer just enjoying having them there! That being said, we live in a rural part, about a 3,5 hour drive north of Johannesburg and I have hunting places all around me!

Just over 2 hours to family property for deer. When there, the hunting starts a few hundred yards from the house.
2 hr flight to Montana for deer/elk/antelope.
The bad thing about living in a city is not being able to hunt from the back door. The good thing is having a good job, good schools, and other things that keep me well rounded and still married.

All these mentions of walking out the backdoor...Closest hunting was in the garage, 2 raccoons; not on the same hunt. Another was shot out of the tree 10' out the front door; he was almost the third one shot in the garage. The dogs are no longer fed in the garage, so I haven't hunted in there for a number of years now.
Not sure how many coyotes I've shot from the kitchen window when they interrupted breakfast. The last one made me walk at least 50' out the door because the kennel was in the way.
Dove and quail are routinely hunted around the house. Prairie dogs are within walking distance anymore; used to have to drive 20 miles (I would rather have the need to drive). Antelope, I can walk from the house, or drive, usually a combination of both in the course of the hunt.
Elk require a little driving; these days about 3.5 hours. Deer vary, depending on the tag drawn.
Took this guy in 2021, with a muzzleloader, in my slippers and housecoat. I was about 100' from the backdoor-
1676106417752.jpeg

Three hours for deer and turkey on our lease, quail and grouse have been non-existent for over 30 years!

I live in the suburbs; so just off the front porch for retirees, small dogs, and the neighbor's mailbox. If I want to actually hunt deer, dove, hogs, or varmints; then I can drive an hour north to my family's land.

They tell me that I'll have to go to Africa if I want an elephant someday, but I'm pretty sure the Dallas and Ft Worth zoos each have one, and they're only an hour away.

Hhmmmm......tough to answer this question. Since I hunt mainly public and a little private land and travel all over the state of Tennessee and the OP didn't specify from home nor for hunting animal or fowl nor by road or water.

Distances can range from a minimum of 6-10 paces to oh maybe 7 hours not including the time zone change going or coming and traffic conditions, waiting time to launch my boat, which lake or river I'm hunting on.

I live in a small town of 500 people. I have shot a limit of geese before breakfast 500 meters from my door, the closest legal distance from other dwellings. Mule deer and whitetail deer a little farther at 2 km on my own property. Sometimes moose there too. Our hunting camp is 350 km away. Elk, moose, bear, white tails, grouse, waterfowl, furbearers etc. This picture was taken from my front step.
Image1676188107.450062.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)