How dry is too dry for wood?

Willard427

Reaction score
I have a few vintage shotguns with decent wood that I want to take care of. The humidity varies considerably throughout the year where I live. I am able to (barely) keep the humidity near 50% in the summer when it is very humid with a couple of Eva-Drys and a heating element. The humidity during the winter has been between 20-25%. Is this too dry for the wood? If so, what should I do to keep the wood from drying out too much?

I have firearms dating back to the 1890's to early 1900's up to manufactured a few years ago.

IMO & experience as long as the original seasoned wood was properly finished when the firearm was built the moisture is locked in, and out. There shouldn't be any problems or worries about how dry the wood gets as long as you take care of it by wiping it down with a very lightly Endust (or similarly) moisten cloth.

The problem I use to see (rifle stocks) came from wannabes or thinkers that would strip a stock down, sand it, not seal it, and half ass go over the wood with one thin coat of high gloss varnish. As a result the wood would dry out over time and the thin areas would warp and develop hairline cracks. On shotguns (mainly 12 and 20 gauges) buttstocks, thin hairline cracks around the hand grip, toe of the buttstock, and butt plate will occur.

If the firearms are not setting near, as within 2 to 3 feet, of a direct high heat source, inclosed high heat space/ room, or up high enough where heat collects/ stays. If you want to worry about something; worrying about whether or not you're the reason the girl you had sex with once ten years ago is now pregnant.

I normally spray them with aerosol RemOil and then give em a good scrubbing with a shop towel. I've been told I have nice wood.

Reading the heading my first thought was a very Jimmy Failla-ish "Isn't that what they make personal lubricant for?"

1708493656819.png

I have a few vintage shotguns with decent wood that I want to take care of. The humidity varies considerably throughout the year where I live. I am able to (barely) keep the humidity near 50% in the summer when it is very humid with a couple of Eva-Drys and a heating element. The humidity during the winter has been between 20-25%. Is this too dry for the wood? If so, what should I do to keep the wood from drying out too much?
Wood stabilizes to the humidity it lives in, to a degree. This doesn't mean it holds 50% moisture in your safe. Think of it as getting acclimated to it's environment. Normal, dry hardwood we want ~7-12% moisture content to minimize movement. The biggest problems typically occurs when there is a rapid change, like moving from south Georgia to Tucson AZ. A relative humidity change from 85%+ to less than 20%. Fine furniture, and gunstocks, can suffer mightily long term without precautions. A good oil finish slows the gain or loss of moisture in the wood, but does not stop it. The key is to retard the moisture transfer as much as possible; you can't stop it.
Find the method @rookhawk has described several times in different threads on hand rubbing a bit of oil on a stock to maintain a finish; his method is better than what I had been doing. Then wax the stock and the metal with Renaissance Wax. This will actually protect the oil finish and slow the moisture transfer even more.
My stocks live in 4-40% humidity depending on the time of year, so there's no need for a dehumidifier in the safe. When we do see 85-100%, it lasts for a few hours, then it quits raining. With a good finish protected by the wax, a week or two in a higher or lower humidity will rarely impact a wood stock. If it does, the stock was not properly oiled and waxed. The most common places for the finish to be inadequate is the barrel channel, under the buttplate/recoil pad, inletting, and at the head of a buttstock on a 2 piece stock; basically, all the wood typically hidden from view. End grain has the fastest rate of transfer, either in loss or absorption.
With your shotguns, maintaining the finish is the key to preventing them from developing cracks over time. Using a humidifier in the winter can mitigate the naturally drier air in the room your safe is in. A little longwinded, but I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawannaCol

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani