Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Some long time friends (and super deer hunters) want to take their teenage sons hog hunting in the US for High S. graduation this coming June or July. They have asked me for advice, knowing that I have hunted all 6 continents, and seeking some sage wisdom from an old timer. Trouble is, I know nothing whatever about hunting pigs. Or about hogs in general, for that matter. I was told once at a hunt show that feral hogs would soon move into my area, but it hasn't happened and I think it never will. It is simply too cold here. Suggestions on who to call or where to look appreciated.............FWB

What part of the country do they want to hunt?

Where and when, will be the biggest factors. There are plenty of hunts here in South Texas from dogs, to stand hunting, to helicopters. Lots of options.

Some long time friends (and super deer hunters) want to take their teenage sons hog hunting in the US for High S. graduation this coming June or July. They have asked me for advice, knowing that I have hunted all 6 continents, and seeking some sage wisdom from an old timer. Trouble is, I know nothing whatever about hunting pigs. Or about hogs in general, for that matter. I was told once at a hunt show that feral hogs would soon move into my area, but it hasn't happened and I think it never will. It is simply too cold here. Suggestions on who to call or where to look appreciated.............FWB
Personally I would try and find someone in the Deep South who hunts with dogs and knives. It’s a blast

June and July are probably the worst months for hunting hogs. Hogs do not like heat and become nocturnal and dormant. I am going to Waccamaw Hunting in South Carolina in about two weeks. Hunting has been good because the recent cold weather and rain has pushed them out of the rivers and into the fields. That outfitter does thermal hunts after turkey season closes but stops in early June when mosquitoes will carry you away. Afternoon thunderstorms are also problematic.
I never hunted Texas for hogs and it might be different but I have some doubts because Texas can be very hot in the June and July. I can drive to South Carolina and bring back a load of pork. I prefer wild hog meat to grocery store pork.

In texas there are "shoots" and there are "hunts" readily available...

a place like Independence Ranch isnt really a hunt at all.. its about 350 acres, high fenced IIRC.. and no kidding they must have 1000+ hogs in there.. you are in stands in the early morning and late afternoon/evening.. they throw down corn.. and the hogs come to the corn.. and you shoot them...

in the mid day they have an option to do a "spot and stalk" type hunt where you are out on foot in a specific area (about 50 acres with no other hunters present) where you can walk them up and shoot them as they scatter).. or you go to the "honey hole" at the bottom of the property and sit in stands.. the guys doing the spot and stalk thing generally end up running all 1000+ pigs to the back of the property and the "honey hole" becomes a shooting gallery with dozens upon dozens of pigs running past all the stands..

again.. not really a "hunt" so to speak.. but youre definitely shooting pigs (a lot of them)..

Then there are lots of places that offer hogs that are actually hunts.. where I'd guess the probability of success is very high (we have LOTS of hogs all over the state.. its not hard to find them.. and if you have the right gear.. like thermals and a feeder that you know they are routinely raiding.. success rates are going to be extremely high)..

I know @gizmo has had several AH members hunt the Rockin G Ranch for hogs... everyone that has posted a hunt report from the Rockin G has had nothing but wonderful things to say about the property, the team, the quality of the animals, etc..

I wasn’t thinking. That’s not really the time year for hunting with dogs. It’s done but it’s really hard on the dogs

Yep!

We do a knife/dog hunt every year in the spring (usually mid march to mid april at the latest).. we let deer season close out and give the animals a little time to calm down and recover.. and then go after the hogs hard for about 4 days straight with the dogs and try to drive down the population a bit before does start putting fawns on the ground.. 10-12 hunters running dogs 8-10 hours a day for 4 days straight.. we put a pretty good dent in them each year.. and put a TON of meat in the freezer (and donate a ton of meat as well)..

by May, even in East TX where we hunt, its freaking HOT and would be super hard on the dogs (and us)..

South TX would be brutal by May.. and unbearable during June/July/August...

Yep!

We do a knife/dog hunt every year in the spring (usually mid march to mid april at the latest).. we let deer season close out and give the animals a little time to calm down and recover.. and then go after the hogs hard for about 4 days straight with the dogs and try to drive down the population a bit before does start putting fawns on the ground.. 10-12 hunters running dogs 8-10 hours a day for 4 days straight.. we put a pretty good dent in them each year.. and put a TON of meat in the freezer (and donate a ton of meat as well)..

by May, even in East TX where we hunt, its freaking HOT and would be super hard on the dogs (and us)..

South TX would be brutal by May.. and unbearable during June/July/August...
Sounds like a fun and action packed 4 days!

@Finprof Ya, thanks for info......didn't really know about timing and such. Will rethink this. @mdwest Also good data....thank you. I have a friend that went to Independence ranch and it sounded exactly as you described.........not for me and not something that I'd recommend either. My friend had nothing bad to say about them, but he would not go back. Appreciate your thoughts on using dogs....that sounds exciting. Not sure about a couple of teens with knives and hogs, but otherwise, will look at it...I wouldn't mind accompanying this group to the East Coast area....because I have a son there and could visit grandkids as well as hunt, so anywhere in the Nation is an option. I am afraid of random picking from the internet for fear of getting trapped onto 100 acres......I guess hunting from a blind at a deer feeder is a good way.....random bumbling thru the brush, I am told, will produce nothing....thanks to all.............FWB

@WAB East or West both possible. One man has a daughter in Texas, I have a son in Florida and we both have friends in Arkansas, so we could double duty with a visit, not just a hunt. Regrettably, none of the friends/family are hunters. (ya, my oldest boy does not hunt!! What did I do wrong?) Anyway, we're pretty flexible. Notice I say WE, as I have invited myself along..................FWB

I haven't looked in a few years, but the Texas panhandle has good, guided options. Larger acreage with good sized hogs.

In texas there are "shoots" and there are "hunts" readily available...

a place like Independence Ranch isnt really a hunt at all.. its about 350 acres, high fenced IIRC.. and no kidding they must have 1000+ hogs in there.. you are in stands in the early morning and late afternoon/evening.. they throw down corn.. and the hogs come to the corn.. and you shoot them...

in the mid day they have an option to do a "spot and stalk" type hunt where you are out on foot in a specific area (about 50 acres with no other hunters present) where you can walk them up and shoot them as they scatter).. or you go to the "honey hole" at the bottom of the property and sit in stands.. the guys doing the spot and stalk thing generally end up running all 1000+ pigs to the back of the property and the "honey hole" becomes a shooting gallery with dozens upon dozens of pigs running past all the stands..

again.. not really a "hunt" so to speak.. but youre definitely shooting pigs (a lot of them)..

Then there are lots of places that offer hogs that are actually hunts.. where I'd guess the probability of success is very high (we have LOTS of hogs all over the state.. its not hard to find them.. and if you have the right gear.. like thermals and a feeder that you know they are routinely raiding.. success rates are going to be extremely high)..

I know @gizmo has had several AH members hunt the Rockin G Ranch for hogs... everyone that has posted a hunt report from the Rockin G has had nothing but wonderful things to say about the property, the team, the quality of the animals, etc..

I hunted Independence Ranch about 10 years ago. I cannot recommend them.

IDK if he's changed, but a couple of the low-lights of that place

We all had to bring 100# of feed each. It must have gone to his watusis, because it sure didn't get thrown out in front of me.

His walk-in cooler was broken, so we all had to go into Gonzalez and each buy something like 40 or 50 lbs of ice.

He hunts way too many people at a time for such a small property. Shooting lanes are quite narrow.

$50 per pig to clean them, plus $1/lb for anything over 50 lbs.

If you need some entertaining reading just google some stories about Independence Ranch. I've been on a few "iffy" hunts, but never anything like I've heard about them.

We don't offer the low budget hog hunts but would certainly be happy to work with them if they want a hunt with a higher level of service. The period they want to hunt is prime time for Axis as the rut generally occurs about then. Also, the added bonus of floating the clear, cool waters of the Nueces River on a hot Summer day make for a memorable trip! Please feel free to pass along our contact information if you wish. - John Ed

RR Lodge Aerial 2.jpeg

RR Pool.jpeg

RR River bluehole.jpeg

RR Axis 32.jpg
B pig.jpg

G pig.jpg

@RESERVE RANCH Thanks for reply. sounds very interesting. I will talk with friends, and send you a PM.......We're not opposed to a higher end hunt........and the dads may want to hunt another animal as well........FWB

I wasn’t thinking. That’s not really the time of year for hunting with dogs. It’s done but it’s really hard on the dogs

@RESERVE RANCH Thanks for reply. sounds very interesting. I will talk with friends, and send you a PM.......We're not opposed to a higher end hunt........and the dads may want to hunt another animal as well........FWB
Thanks @flatwater bill i look forward to talking with them I appreciate the referral.
John Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewflinders

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.