Hippo poaching on the rise for their ivory as demand rises due to less elephant ivory being available

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
And as usual the African countries that have lost most of their populations are wanting the ban in trading of all hippo parts....

BBC News - Poachers target hippos for giant teeth in place of ivory

Maybe I am cynical, but I think that killing hippos for ivory reduce the number of a dangerous animal while preserving precious elephants.
I add that, to the best of my (limited) knowledge hippos are killing more people than lions and, maybe, leopards as well.

Maybe I am cynical, but I think that killing hippos for ivory reduce the number of a dangerous animal while preserving precious elephants.
I add that, to the best of my (limited) knowledge hippos are killing more people than lions and, maybe, leopards as well.

That’s a very very anti-conservation perspective… I cannot disagree more with this statement.

I'd suggest, NOT tongue in cheek, the biggest threat to the peoples of Afrika are other people, not any or all of the "big Five, or Six".
You don't just "kill" any animal because they do what comes naturally. Managed trophy hunting is the sensible way to handle the situation. Usually it's a people problem, not an animal problem.

Fk me you are full of shit...and totally ignorant....what a muppet...

I'd suggest, NOT tongue in cheek, the biggest threat to the peoples of Afrika are other people, not any or all of the "big Five, or Six".

Correct...loss of habitat is one of if not the biggest issue for wildlife...especially the species that need large areas....and with the population mega explosion that is happening in African countries....only going to get worse at a rate that is pretty frightening...one minister here is saying some forestry reserves need their protected status removed, and opened to allow people to occupy them.....

They all need to be hunted legally to give them both value and neither are endangered but humans are in danger from them culling the herd keeps everything in a healthy way and donate the meat of both they will eat anything
When they’re hungry in bush

Whether there is less elephant ivory because there are fewer elephants (I hope not) or they are better managed/protected (I hope so), this just reinforces that poachers will “find a way” to monetize the wildlife, unless controlled. I think for most of us here, this just reinforces “best and highest sustainable use” instead of poaching.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, but you have a lot to learn about Africa and it’s people and wildlife.

Lon

Crickey, what's next...walrus ivory, dug-up mammoth? We need to seriously penalize the end users of ivory to stop the trade.

Probably the way to go, @ofbiro. Killing all of the hippos should put nature back in balance. That should do the trick. Next, we need a plan for these pesky rhinos.......FWB

I didn't encourage to destroy all hippos. The fact is that Western animalists instead of sanctioning ivory trade would prefer to stop all hunting. On the other hand I learn from several sources, including AH, that hippos are becoming more and more dangerous to humans. Therefore I conclude that it is better to reduce the number of hippos to lessen the hunting pressure to elephants.
Maybe I am wrong but I do not insult other forumist having different ideas.

On the other hand I learn from several sources, including AH, that hippos are becoming more and more dangerous to humans. Therefore I conclude that it is better to reduce the number of hippos to lessen the hunting pressure to elephants.
a thought or two,

first, hippos have ALWAYS been dangerous to humans, they are not becoming MORE dangerous. if they are becoming MORE dangerous (as you propose), please site your information.

second, POACHERS killing hippos is NOT going to reduce the pressure of poachers killing anything else especially elephants! hunting pressure on elephants has never been great enough to threaten elephants, in fact there is easily available evidence that more elephants need to be hunted (hence culling efforts) in certain areas due to their overpopulation for that particular space/habitat.

remember, lawful hunting is in fact management of the species. poaching is hunting out of season, out of the management plan, with no thought of anything but a profit from the skin, horn, ivory of the animal. some animals are sold for meat, again without regard for the actual concern of shooting the right animal to properly manage that specie.

so the thought of killing hippos to prevent killing of elephants by POACHERS seems a bit ridiculous to some on this forum who i believe by and large are collectively about as knowledgeable a bunch of guys as there are in one place/forum on the internet regarding hunting africa.

there, didn't even insult you once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEQJenna74

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]