Here is where the .405 Winchester would be minimum, but welcome!

Do they have real pictures? Those pictures are fake.

-Matt

Dont know, just whats in the article. Guess they could be shopped, you never know these days.

Hard to judge the size of this brown bear for a number of reasons. First is the lack of reference. This was most likely done by editing because the picture was taken at some distance and a cell phone was used. This would account for the pixilation and lack of definition...and the lighting looks like it's been altered by some editing software as well. I mean to say that there's a "Tik-Tok" symbol on the bottom right of the photo so probably not top shelf journalism or camera equipment.

I'm not saying this bear isn't a HUGE bear, but a little context or point of reference is needed to be able to put a number on what it really weighs.

Yes, the 405WIN would be an excellent choice for bear, although I'd opt for the extra 1000 lb-ft of energy afforded by using the 375H&H.

1000 pounds isn't really crazy for a big brown bear is it? There are 700 pound black bears around.
1000 pounds would be a very big bear, even a brownie, not crazy, but bigger than average. I have some pics of one taken in Cold Bay in 1948, with btw, a .405 Winchester that it was figured he might run 1300 pounds in his prime. Its huge!

post 14 of this thread is the Reeves bear, a monter.

1697077129022.jpeg

Credit to @observe for this write up and picture from 2013...

Alaska, Apr 24th 1948: World Record Brown Bear shot by Bob Reeves of Anchorage in Cold Bay, this giant bruin measured 10'4'' long and 6'2'' tall weighting in around 1800 lbs. Skull was 19'' 1/2 long and 11'' 1/2 wide, skin measured 11'4'' square after tanning. Robert Reeves, president of local business Reeves Aleutian Airlines, shot this bear with a Winchester Model 1895 in .405 Winchester loaded with 300 grain soft nose with two shots, from 260 yards and 2nd from 290 yards, finishing him off with a shoulder shot.

1697136490567.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manojsharma

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)