Help set up rifles for Zim!

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
Looks like my buddy talked me into another trip last 2 were archery hunts in South Africa. This time the real deal for Dangerous game in Zimbabwe!

I still plan to bring a bow to hopefully get a leopard which will be the primary target.

Secondary will be Elephant which I plan to use my rifle- a 375 Ruger.

Cape buffalo will also be considered with a rifle.

bait will have to be shot for the leopard hunt, impala or zebra most common.

So I was thinking of bringing a second rifle - a Ruger M77 in 9.3x62 as backup (maybe on buff?)….Or for other opportunistic plains game- eland, kudu etc..

Or I could bring the 375, and a smaller caliber- I have many options - 300, 7mm, 6.5mm, .243, for the plains game?

which 2 rifles would you bring?

Here are the two I mentioned-

What scope would you put on the 375 Ruger? What bullets to load? For Elephant? For Buffalo?

The 9.3x62 has a vortex razor 1.5x8x 32 on it. I currently have a load with 250gr TSX bullets
7FD53848-C423-4D2E-B7F7-23DA543A40DB.jpeg

The overlap between the 375 and 9.3 is pretty large, so the 9.3 (assuming you're set on the 375 as the primary rifle) only really fills a function as a back up rifle. If your 375 comes to grief in some way, the high probability is that you can rent a suitable DG rifle from your PH/outfitter.

Of the smaller cals I'd go with the 300. It will do everything the other rifles can do but not vice versa. Eland, zebra and kudu are beyond the 243 and probably the 6.5. So it's a toss up between the 7mm and 300.

On 375 bullets for ele - a big tough solid! This will probably be dictated by what 300gr solids you can get your hands on. Same solids could be used on buff as long as you avoid shots into herds. Yes there will be a lot of advice around using expanding bullets like an A-Frame or TSX for buff which is fine. But you're getting into a bunch of permutations around multiple loads and rifles.

As far as scopes go, if you're taking a PG (longer range) rifle like a 300 along, then the 375 will be for short range DG. So a 1-6x scope would be ideal. Adequate to go out to 200m comfortably if needed. IMO opinion the best scope in this class is the Swaro Z6 1-6 if you can find one. Or a Z8 but you're heading north into big $$$ territory.
Of course any 1-4, 1-5 or 1-6 will work in 99% of conditions.

The 9.3x62 is not legal for DG in Zimbabwe, it is on calibre but not on power. 375 H&H is legal, as is 375 Ruger. I would bring the 375 for everything, but maybe a heavier calibre for the elephant as well? The 375 will be fine if you are being backed up by your PH with a heavy cal, prefarably a double

For the rifles you suggested I'd go with .375 for DG and .300 for PG.

I am taking off for Zim in two days for a similar hunt minus the leopard. For DG I have the .500 NE (believer in enough gun ;) ) and for PG .300 RUM.

The 375RUGER will do everything you need and will come close to negating the necessity of a 9.3x62. IMO - keep it simple, save the weight, travel a little lighter and just take the 375 for everything. You outfitter should have a backup rifle in a DG caliber in the event of an accident or your luggage is lost. Send the outfitter an email to verify this.

300 grain premium softs like the Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX or Federal TBBC will take care of the Buffalo hunt and PG bait needed for the Leopard.

300 grain monolithic brass solids like the Woodleigh Hydro, Nosler Solid or CEB Safari Solid for Elephant and whenever you PH tells you to load them. Solids can also be used for the T10 to prevent damage to the hide. Make sure the solids shoot to the same POI as your softs.

If you really want a second rifle to the 375, any .30 caliber or 7mm would be fine for the PG. Again using premium bullets.

375 Ruger and either the 300 WM or 7mm mag. Put a 1-4x or 1-5x power scope on the 375. I have a 1-6x Leica Magnus illuminated scope on my 375 Ruger.

But let's talk about the leopard hunt with a bow............now there's a hunt. Give us the details as it's not too often you hear about an archery leopard hunt.

The 375 and a coupla bags of hard candies.

I'd be interested in hearing about hunting leopard with a bow, as well!

The 375 Ruger is the largest caliber I have- not ready to upgrade yet to a “proper” Elephant rifle until this hunt is paid and I decide I like elephants :LOL:

This hunt will be for a non-importable non-trophy animal. The PH said it would work just fine for a brain shot at correct distance and angle with proper bullets.

Last edited:
Here are the two I mentioned-

What scope would you put on the 375 Ruger? What bullets to load? For Elephant? For Buffalo?

The 9.3x62 has a vortex razor 1.5x8x 32 on it. I currently have a load with 250gr TSX bullets
View attachment 477990
In your .375 Ruger, use 300Gr Rhino flat nosed monolithic solids for your elephant. Use 300Gr Rhino Solid Shanks or 300Gr Swift A Frames for everything else. For leopard/lion, the 300Gr Nosler Partition is a great bullet because it opens up quickly (a good thing for cats).

.375 caliber is fine for brain shots on elephant, even from the front. I got two with the .375 H&H Magnum till now. Less than ideal for body shots, though. For that, I’d start minimum with a .450 caliber.
09A70121-0DCA-4B88-B59E-A724E41AD938.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like my buddy talked me into another trip last 2 were archery hunts in South Africa. This time the real deal for Dangerous game in Zimbabwe!

I still plan to bring a bow to hopefully get a leopard which will be the primary target.

Secondary will be Elephant which I plan to use my rifle- a 375 Ruger.

Cape buffalo will also be considered with a rifle.

bait will have to be shot for the leopard hunt, impala or zebra most common.

So I was thinking of bringing a second rifle - a Ruger M77 in 9.3x62 as backup (maybe on buff?)….Or for other opportunistic plains game- eland, kudu etc..

Or I could bring the 375, and a smaller caliber- I have many options - 300, 7mm, 6.5mm, .243, for the plains game?

which 2 rifles would you bring?
Just take the .375.

@wildwilderness. My first question, do you a travel case that will carry a compound bow and one rifle? If so then only bring one rifle. The 375 ruger has no problem reaching out to 200 yards with good accuracy, so why bring another rifle. You would not be surprised on how "bait" was shot with a 375 or higher caliber.

I generally travel with my bow in a rolling duffel bag with my clothes and gear.

So I will be bringing a hard sided double rifle case. Thus the thought to bring 2 rifles. My buddy may also use the second rifle for “bait” as well.

I Know traveling lighter is easier. But is there much difference bringing 2 vs 1 rifle?

Also seems the consensus is to bring a 30cal secondary rifle instead of the 9,3?

Read Kevin Robertson's books. IF hunting PG in a DG area, just bring the 375. If diff areas, a 300, 7, or HOT 6.5 (not a needmore) will do the job, but as mentioned above any large PG (zebra, eland, giraffe,) just stick w/ the 375.

Read Kevin Robertson's books. IF hunting PG in a DG area, just bring the 375. If diff areas, a 300, 7, or HOT 6.5 (not a needmore) will do the job, but as mentioned above any large PG (zebra, eland, giraffe,) just stick w/ the 375.
That is a good point- May happen on a DG animal just being out…

The 9.3x62 is not legal for DG in Zimbabwe, it is on calibre but not on power. 375 H&H is legal, as is 375 Ruger. I would bring the 375 for everything, but maybe a heavier calibre for the elephant as well? The 375 will be fine if you are being backed up by your PH with a heavy cal, prefarably a double
So the 9,3x64 would be enough power? Not that I have one anyway

Never hunted ele but have hunted buff. I would take the bow and the 375. Why not put a stalk on your bait animal with your bow? A little added fun

1658261666402.png

1658261751943.png

Much greater case capacity (and larger frontal area) in the 375 (the HH and CRM are essentially the same-one being a short mag version of the other.) The 9.3 is more like a 9.3-06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….