Help Reloading the .375 Rimless Nitro Express

I checked into how my Hornady 9.3X57 seat die worked with 300gr 375s in a 375 case (reformed 30’06) and it worked perfectly so I think you could simply do as you are thinking and give the 9.3 dies a try with a .375 expander.

The 9.3 has a lower, narrower shoulder and more taper as well as a slightly wider base.
Plenty of room for things to go wrong.

For my money I'd wait for proper 9.5X57 dies.

MS 9x57 9,3x57 9,5x56.jpg

9X56MS, 9.3X57, 9.5X57MS

Mauser 9.3x57.jpg

MS Eley Drawing 9.5X57.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having a slight problem with the die that I haven't figured out yet: I can seat the round (in this case a Woodleigh .375), but the crimp is not holding the bullet well. Not only will the feed ramp push the bullet into the case, but I can actually push it in by hand. I have measured the bullet with my micrometer, and it does measure out to .375... as did the ammunition I purchased from Dorfner. I don't know if the crimp is not correct (either the seating die or the crimping die), or if the sizing die is opening the case too much, but that's the problem I'm having. Brass is once fired Dorfner, which I believe he purchased from Horneber, which is no longer a going concern.

...I still need to find a go/no go cartridge gauge, for both this and my M1903. I have a simple gauge for the M1903, but I'd like to get a better one.

I have never used Woodleigh .375 nor Doerfner brass but my early 1990s RCBS dies have always seated Hornady #3715 (which measure true .375) tight to the cannelure in reformed R-P .35 Whelen brass both new and reloaded.

Perhaps adjust seating depth, crimp, or check dimensions of die?

If you find a go / no go for the 9.5X57, please do let me know where.

SaintPanzer, may I suggest that you take the expander plug, chuck it in a drill, and with some fine sandpaper reduce it slightly so it doesn’t open up the neck so much.
Or, alternatively, swap the expander with another 375 (if you have one) and see if that makes a difference.
One other option is to leave the expander out and see what the neck ID is full length sizing without it.
Maybe a simple flare at the mouth is all you need to get the bullet started and if that works neck tension will certainly be adequate.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but part of me wonders if there is a better solution. I should really call CH4D. One minor issue I'm having is I'm still trying to get organized from the move, and it's just not a priority yet. On the other hand, I did find my stash of primers, so...

I do always worry about pushing the shoulder back. Made that mistake once on the M1903, which led to a headspace (as in too much) issue, and really high pressures. Somewhere I have notes on the go/no go gauge, there was an offer to make one, but they wanted me to send them fired brass, and there were ITAR issues. That part is solved now, so I really need to get in to it.

“The 9.3 has a lower, narrower shoulder and more taper as well as a slightly wider base.
Plenty of room for things to go wrong.“

I’m talking about the bullet seating only.

I don’t know if you have looked at the Hornady seating dies, but they are huge inside which leads me to believe that there is a bit of “one size fits all” going on with the die body and the seater/crimper stem is interchangeable specific to the bullet and neck OD.

The 375 bullets seat just fine but there is no way to crimp doing it this way.

Maybe this is part of the poor reputation Hornady dies have.
I could see that if your brass is a bit soft - say first load after annealing - the shoulder could bulge out a bit or the neck get set back a bit just from seating the bullet.

Has anyone used the Barnes 235 grain TSX in the .375 Rimless/9.5x57? I love Barnes bullets, and wonder if they’d reliably cycle in the magazine. If skneone’s udibg them as a single or two hit what velocities are you getting? Thanks!

124AD971-690E-4287-8238-9BD892FDD80E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it Hornady that will make a custom die?

All makers are offering custom dies.
I have bought for wildcats from Hornady and Lee, both delivered in surprisingly short time and cost is really reasonable.

I have also had a friend make me a set of dies for a wildcat, to know really talented machinists is always a good thing :)

Huge shout out to @GeorgeGibbs505 for hooking me up with RCBS 9.5x57 loading dies! Thanks a lot!

Does anyone have reloading data they can share? I've been scrubbing the internet hard and found info for IMR3031, IMR4895, H4895, and N140. If anyone has specific loads they'd like to share I'd greatly appreciate it!

Please to post the N140 you have found. I was thinking of playing with N160, but have a few projects I must complete first.

In the meantime, I do have this data that I found on the nitro express forum. I CANNOT speak to its safety/effectiveness, but I'm viewing it as a starting point. I do suggest you check over there.

I should have bought more Brenneke bullets when I was overseas. I wonder if anyone imports them to the US. I have only found their shotgun shells here.

This is what I've saved for future use:

Quote: "My load for the 9,5x57:

(!!! This data is not pressure-tested, but by a german reloading-program under the Pmax of 44.200psi!!!)

Case: shm (a german case-manufactory for rare rifle-cartidges)

Bullet: 270grs. Brenneke TOG (a tombak-coated hollow-point softnose with cutting-edge)

Primer: CCI-200

Powder: Vithavuori N133

Charge: 43,0grs.

COL: 2.92"

probably be considered ~46,000 psi actions

there´s nearly no muzzle-flash from the 20" barrel and the blast sound´s like "rolling thunder". Recoil is recognizable, but not stronger than by my Mauser 98 sporter in 9x57 with 24" barrel an 250grs. bullet-weight.

I have no velocity messure yet, but I think it´s around 2050ft./sec.

A gently load for the 1910 short barrel version.

Edited by Hotzenplotz (20/01/07 12:09 AM) "

I got my dies on eBay awhile back. RCBS has them as 9.5x57.
Currently trying to sell the M1910 to get a .356 winchester.

I got my dies on eBay awhile back. RCBS has them as 9.5x57.
Currently trying to sell the M1910 to get a .356 winchester.
I managed to grab dies from a fellow Africa Hunting member and another set from eBay. Thanks for the tips though! I’m interested in seeing your 1910 if you want to PM pics and a price.

Hello all! I recently acquired a William Evans 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer in .375 Rimless Nitro Express. I managed to find 9.3 x 57 brass and .375 270 grain round nose Nosler partitions to reload with. I need dies which seems to be the weak link.
I messaged CH Tool and Die about reloading dies and they responded with a 2 year back-order time. My initial thought is purchasing the in stock Hornady 9.3x57 dies and use an RCBS .375 neck expander die to open the case mouth. I still need a bullet seating die though. Does anyone have recommendation on how to begin reloading without the caliber specific dies? Thank you!
I've attached photos and the rifle's sales description for anyone interested.

William Evans 1910 MS serial number 8491. Barrel marked “William Evans. 63. Pall Mall. London 14866”. Barrel has British proof marks. Folding leaf rear sight marked “300”. Top of receiver ring marked “.375 RIMLESS” – this cartridge is the British designation for the 9.5x65 MM MS cartridge. Bore is mostly bright with light frosting in the grooves. The rifle is fitted with a Paul Jaeger detachable scope mount. Floor plate is engraved “J. S. NEWALL. ONGAR ENGLAND”. The trigger guard is marked “14866” matching the number on the barrel. The serial numbers on the barrel, receiver, and bolt match. The stock has a hairline crack behind the tang, and it looks like it has been there a while. Horn butt plate and grip cap.

View attachment 580834View attachment 580835View attachment 580836View attachment 580837View attachment 580838View attachment 580839View attachment 580840View attachment 580841
What a beautiful rifle.
See the cartridges made from 9.3 x 62 brass.
Hello all! I recently acquired a William Evans 1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer in .375 Rimless Nitro Express. I managed to find 9.3 x 57 brass and .375 270 grain round nose Nosler partitions to reload with. I need dies which seems to be the weak link.
I messaged CH Tool and Die about reloading dies and they responded with a 2 year back-order time. My initial thought is purchasing the in stock Hornady 9.3x57 dies and use an RCBS .375 neck expander die to open the case mouth. I still need a bullet seating die though. Does anyone have recommendation on how to begin reloading without the caliber specific dies? Thank you!
I've attached photos and the rifle's sales description for anyone interested.

William Evans 1910 MS serial number 8491. Barrel marked “William Evans. 63. Pall Mall. London 14866”. Barrel has British proof marks. Folding leaf rear sight marked “300”. Top of receiver ring marked “.375 RIMLESS” – this cartridge is the British designation for the 9.5x65 MM MS cartridge. Bore is mostly bright with light frosting in the grooves. The rifle is fitted with a Paul Jaeger detachable scope mount. Floor plate is engraved “J. S. NEWALL. ONGAR ENGLAND”. The trigger guard is marked “14866” matching the number on the barrel. The serial numbers on the barrel, receiver, and bolt match. The stock has a hairline crack behind the tang, and it looks like it has been there a while. Horn butt plate and grip cap.

View attachment 580834View attachment 580835View attachment 580836View attachment 580837View attachment 580838View attachment 580839View attachment 580840View attachment 580841

Huge shout out to @GeorgeGibbs505 for hooking me up with RCBS 9.5x57 loading dies! Thanks a lot!

Does anyone have reloading data they can share? I've been scrubbing the internet hard and found info for IMR3031, IMR4895, H4895, and N140. If anyone has specific loads they'd like to share I'd greatly appreciate it!

I've just now read this post.

I have used new 35 Whelen brass, resized with single pass through RCBS dies, trimmed to length, stuffed with Hornady #3715 and 42 grains IMR4895.

Fired cases from above have been reloaded a time or six, no problems.

Someday I'll try the Qual-Cart brass that I've stocked.

Pardon the cat photo. Finger slip. Not the type of big cat I would suggest you hunt with the caliber.

The cat isn't a 'pointer'?

Grand Dad chose this one:

Johnny's Cat 001.jpg

Johnny's Cat:
John Forrest Easton, center, leopard taken with Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 Take Down Model.

I have a .375 rimless...both old and new Kynoch split cases in mine...have now got hold of a dieset so will try to reload for it..

Some vintage ammo:

M3.jpg

That is one beautiful looking Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1910. Should make for an excellent plains game and leopard-over-bait rifle.

Especially with those 270Gr Nosler Partitions. I know a gent in Australia who might be willing to sell you a set of dies for the .375 Rimless Nitro Express. Should I get you in touch with him ?

That is one beautiful looking Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1910. Should make for an excellent plains game and leopard-over-bait rifle.

Especially with those 270Gr Nosler Partitions. I know a gent in Australia who might be willing to sell you a set of dies for the .375 Rimless Nitro Express. Should I get you in touch with him ?
Thanks for the offer! I picked up dies already so I'm good to go. I appreciate the help!

I've just now read this post.

I have used new 35 Whelen brass, resized with single pass through RCBS dies, trimmed to length, stuffed with Hornady #3715 and 42 grains IMR4895.

Fired cases from above have been reloaded a time or six, no problems.

Someday I'll try the Qual-Cart brass that I've stocked.
Thanks for the tip! I have a ton of .35 Whelen brass so that makes loading for the cartridge very easy.

I still need to secure some properly headstamped brass though so I can take it to Africa in 2026.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.