Help me decide: which Plains Game Bullet for my 7mm-08?

Here’s some great dissections of a maximus bullet on African game, including an Eland.

Probably the same number you have. So my guess is you don’t have any more experience on that exact scenario than I do.

Actually I’ve shot a 7mm-08 and a Maximus bullet. So looks like I have more.
Bullshit baffles brains....

Cutting Edge makes some very good stuff... I havent tried the Maximus.. but I'd be willing to bet its a solid performer..

The issue, for me at least.. is youre talking about a $2700-$3000 bet on your bullet when youre talking common eland.. the price goes up SIGNIFICANTLY for a livingston eland..

7mm, even in a magnum caliber like 7x64, Rem Mag, etc.. isnt enough gun for me to be willing to put that sort of money on the line, or be willing to limit my shot opportunities, etc. vs risk injuring the animal (youre paying $3K whether you wound it or kill it.. and I'd prefer not going to bed at night wondering whether the animal is laying dead in a field being eaten by jackals, or out suffering through the night waiting to be hunted down by jackals tomorrow)....

It might be enough gun for others..

But.. having been on numerous PG hunts at this point in my life.. having been on or party to numerous eland hunts specifically.. and knowing just how large, thick, etc these animals are.. and knowing how much ground they can cover, and how quickly they can cover it (you cant really appreciate an eland until you watch a 2000lb animal flat foot jump over an 8' fence.. or watch it "trot" faster than a land cruiser "cruises" for a mile + across a valley and never miss a step or slow its pace).. 7mm anything.. and even my much beloved 308 shooting 168gr barnes.. are off the table..

For those reasons, my 300 H&H shooting 200gr TSX is on the low end of what Im willing to hunt an eland with.. and why I strongly advocated that my wife take her 35 Whelen for hunting hers.. and why I've told a good buddy that wants to hunt one later this year to bring his 375 H&H (his choices are 375, 308, or 6.5 CM)...

I also noticed that the 2 eland described on the CE website were taken with a 308, not a 7-08.. and were taken at a distance of 125 yards..

I dont have a clue what the "average" distance is for a shot on an eland in South Africa.. but I do know that my wifes animal was taken at well over 200 (IIRC it was 265 yards?).. on a steep incline, through a tight window of fairly dense brush... and the eland I saw taken with a 30-06 was shot at just under 300 yards (180gr a-frame)... 250-300 yards youre starting to loose a good bit of velocity and ballistic capability on the 7-08 (down from probably 2650 to about 2150 at 300 yards depending on the load).. which gives me even further pause on a smaller projectile.. and especially a good bit of pause on a light or even moderate weight for caliber projectile..

Last edited:
Reactions: trg
Here’s some great dissections of a maximus bullet on African game, including an Eland.

Not 1 7mm08....neither have you used one with the recommended bullet in this caliber......on any game let alone a Livingstone eland bull that tops a cape buffalo bull in weight....foolish to say the least....

Not 1 7mm08....neither have you used one with the recommended bullet in this caliber......on any game let alone a Livingstone eland bull that tops a cape buffalo bull in weight....foolish to say the least....
I see what you’re saying. I hunted eland with a 375. I probably wouldn’t go below my 338 Lapua with a 225gr pill. But still a Maximus!

My ph was perfectly fine with me hunting eland with a 308 and 175gr though.

I see what you’re saying. I hunted eland with a 375. I probably wouldn’t go below my 338 Lapua with a 225gr pill. But still a Maximus!
Yet you promote a 152 maximus in 7mm08 that may not even stabilize that bullet due to slow twist rate?
Cape eland and Livingstone aint the same thing....
7mm08 and 7x57mm aint the same thing either.....

The performance on game of most cutting edge bullets seems impressive, but my question would be how do they do in brush? Heavy bonded lead bullets appear to have reliable performance but I have no experience with cutting edge bullet and how they react to some brush. Not an eland, but this may be the only shot you’ll get at the end of a week tracking eland.
IMG_4372.jpeg

Yet you promote a 152 maximus in 7mm08 that may not even stabilize that bullet due to slow twist rate?
But bullets the exact same diameter and same weight going the same speed just might be the same thing right?
The animal doesn’t care about the stamp or case design

And 9.5 twist will stabilize that bullet btw.

The performance on game of most cutting edge bullets seems impressive, but my question would be how do they do in brush? Heavy bonded lead bullets appear to have reliable performance but I have no experience with cutting edge bullet and how they react to some brush. Not an eland, but this may be the only shot you’ll get at the end of a week tracking eland.
View attachment 597520
I would like a Barnes when hunting in brush. That’s just me.

My man, I never said anything about Eland. The op said maybe. You were on some tangent that’s not related. That said, 152 grain maximus traveling fast would be Eland medicine.

You seem like someone that has lots of experience. Why don’t you try coming on and being positive and helping people with all that great experience, rather than always being a contrarian.

View attachment 597520
The raptor is notoriously not good in brush. The Maximus would do the same as any other monometal

@375Fox, you should load up about 50 and try them. I would love your opinion on them.

There a reason Eland is low on your list? I’d personally take an eland over any of the other species you listed. I’d also prefer it over a buffalo hunt.

Funny! We are on opposite sides of the spectrum here. To each their own! (y)

My office has “limited” room for a really large shoulder mount and I’d rather have a Buffalo than an Eland. And I don’t think a Buffalo hunt is in the cards for this next trip.

Eland are an amazing species and I know you have to take what the bush gives, but my top three priority targets for this next hunt is Kudu, Waterbuck and Bushbuck.

Welcome to AH. First, I’d speak with your PH about his opinion. I’ve been using the 7-08 since it first came out in an 18.5” barreled 788. For years, I used the 140gr Sierra ProHunter for deer. When the Barnes TSX came out, I switched to it at 2665 fps. I never shot anything large with it, but it has given excellent results.
Since you have a few larger critters on your list at moderate to short range, I’d go with the 150gr TTSX or a 160gr Swift AF. You’re pretty much duplicating the classic 7x57, which has taken everything on your list thousands of times over.
Thanks for the feedback (y)

I was also thinking along these lines, but there may a problem with overall cartridge length. To fit into the magazine box of some short action 7-08s the 170 or 175 grain bullets may.have to be seated too deeply. I haven't tried it in my Model 7, but I was surprised at how far in I had to seat the 140 grain AccuBonds. I have been thinking about trying the 160 gr. Accubonds. With your vast experience, you probably know better than I do as to what would fit.

Others have suggested the heavier mono metal bullets. As the mono's have to be even longer to attain the same weight I really don't see how that could work.
I agree wholeheartedly, Doug. Monometal bullets have no place for the 7mm-08 Remington.

I'll retract my suggestion. If you can get the 150 TTSX to a reasonable speed like 2600 fps then that will work well as long as your rifle has enough twist to stabilize it. It should be fine but check it out.
Bruce

Just makes no sense to me? A 140 or 150 TTSX fits fine and has full capacity.

No issue and so very deadly.
This purely reflects upon my own outdated mentality rather than any assessment on the 7mm-08 Remington or the Barnes TTSX, dchum.

I still don't like monometal bullets in calibers with relatively smaller case capacity (due to them needing to be longer-for-weight). But as you've clearly proven... The Barnes 140-150Gr TTSX can definitely work well in the 7mm-08 Remington.

As you may of found out most animals shot while on the hunt are animals of opportunity in that you are hunting for another animal and decide to take a different one.

This can hurt your chances if you are packing a lighter caliber rifle when you need a heavier one.

On my first hunt I was going to take 2 rifles. A 25-06 and a 340 Weatherby. But I asked myself, what was I going to do if I needed the. 340 and had the 25-06 in my hands?
Well personally I’m a bit limited on bolt action rifles, as my 7mm-08 is currently my only one. I don’t really want to buy another “small” caliber when this one should cover most PG.

Otherwise I only have AR platforms that I can’t use in Africa.

Later on I plan to pick up a 375 or 416 for Buffalo, but that’s not in the cards right now.

I want to make the best use of what I have and if that means skipping out on Eland, that’s totally fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malfowle

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.