Help Identifying Unknown Optic

KurtVH

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
United States, Canada
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H that came with a scope. I've never seen the brand before and Dr. Google has not been helpful. Anyone seen or heard of an "SUI" scope? No markings on the turret caps or anywhere else on the scope.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SUI Scope.JPG
SUI Scope 2.jpg
SUI Scope 3.jpg
SUI Scope 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another mystery in the overseas made scope world. Looks like as Asian made scope, and some Japanese, Taiwanese scopes were pretty good back in the day. Some were not. Fixed powers, OK, Variables, roll the dice.
Any markings on the underside of the turrets? Some will be marked "Made in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan" etc. If not marked (and preferably Japanese), i would replace it.

Looks like a nice Pre-64 Winchester 70 in a classic caliber.

Have been through a lot of used rifles, some with decent scopes that worked, some with good brand names that failed after 40-50 years of use.
If you wish, I can take a look at it.
I am local.
Mandeville is 30 minutes away.
PM me if interested.

Congratulations on acquiring a nice Model 70 in .300 H&H. Unfortunately the scope doesn't appear to be in the same league as the rifle. A brand that no-ones heard of. Has the look consistent with the early cheap Chinese scopes. It may work or it may not, but I think you'd be happier if you replaced it with scope of known quality.

Myself I’d pull it and put a reputable scope on.

That said I’m betting it’s a Japanese made scope from the early 60s and most of them are even still solid today although they’re not gas purged.

Congratulations on acquiring a nice Model 70 in .300 H&H. Unfortunately the scope doesn't appear to be in the same league as the rifle. A brand that no-ones heard of. Has the look consistent with the early cheap Chinese scopes. It may work or it may not, but I think you'd be happier if you replaced it with scope of known quality.
Thanks.

I won't be leaving the scope on the rifle; just curious about its provenience. I did put a few rounds through the rifle and the scope was well-zeroed and had good clear glass.

Thanks, again.

Another mystery in the overseas made scope world. Looks like as Asian made scope, and some Japanese, Taiwanese scopes were pretty good back in the day. Some were not. Fixed powers, OK, Variables, roll the dice.
Any markings on the underside of the turrets? Some will be marked "Made in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan" etc. If not marked (and preferably Japanese), i would replace it.

Looks like a nice Pre-64 Winchester 70 in a classic caliber.

Have been through a lot of used rifles, some with decent scopes that worked, some with good brand names that failed after 40-50 years of use.
If you wish, I can take a look at it.
I am local.
Mandeville is 30 minutes away.
PM me if interested.
Thanks. Nothing under the turret caps.

I'm just curious about it. Don't plan to leave it on the rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlenAlliso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!