Hello from Bwana Moja. Africa is NOT "The Dark Continent"

If you’ve ever looked at any photos of the earth from space at night- Africa IS the dark continent. There is less light emanating from there than any other continent on earth.
This image needed an update. Load shedding has helped RSA become much darker from space.

lod shedding.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been debating on whether to post this, but it’s too good not to.

Bwana Moja got his name on his Zambian safari where he claims the ph and trackers were so impressed with his shooting(which he conflates as being a good hunter), that they called him Bwana Moja which he claims means “one shot”.

In a strange twist of fate I hunted with the same PH and presumably some of the same trackers a year or two before Mr. Watts became an African hunting legend in his own mind.

I was 13 years old. I was mature for my age, super safe with firearms, and generally the kind of kid you would want to hunt with if you were going to hunt DG with a kid. Although I shot shotguns competitively at the time, I was still really learning the art of shooting in the big game context. In hindsight I was ill prepared and a little practice at home pre trip would have gone a long way.

Despite my limitations, I made a good showing on the shooting front in large part by recognizing my limitations. I made one shot kills on all my plains game. I didn’t miss or wound any animals. I made one excellent shot on a charging buff on a follow up in the long grass.

At some point after a few decent shots, guess what they started to call me???? That’s right, I was Bwana Moja. I was the original one shot Bwana(unless of course this is the type of flattery they heaped upon many paying clients). Now, even as a child I realized they were just trying to pump my ego a little bit, and that I was not god’s gift to African hunting. I really never thought much about it. When I came across this thread last year I did some searching and got a big laugh at reading Bwana Moja’s remarkably familiar origin story.

Good chuckle. Thanks for the laugh.

The boys in Natal started calling me Nkwazi, (Fish Eagle). I was always trying to get to high points to glass in search for game. It was certainly a two sided moniker, both compliment and a comical comment of frustration and good natured ridicule. It made them nuts that I would stop and push my way through nearly impenetrable bush to get to a place to glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been debating on whether to post this, but it’s too good not to.

Bwana Moja got his name on his Zambian safari where he claims the ph and trackers were so impressed with his shooting(which he conflates as being a good hunter), that they called him Bwana Moja which he claims means “one shot”.

In a strange twist of fate I hunted with the same PH and presumably some of the same trackers a year or two before Mr. Watts became an African hunting legend in his own mind.

I was 13 years old. I was mature for my age, super safe with firearms, and generally the kind of kid you would want to hunt with if you were going to hunt DG with a kid. Although I shot shotguns competitively at the time, I was still really learning the art of shooting in the big game context. In hindsight I was ill prepared and a little practice at home pre trip would have gone a long way.

Despite my limitations, I made a good showing on the shooting front in large part by recognizing my limitations. I made one shot kills on all my plains game. I didn’t miss or wound any animals. I made one excellent shot on a charging buff on a follow up in the long grass.

At some point after a few decent shots, guess what they started to call me???? That’s right, I was Bwana Moja. I was the original one shot Bwana(unless of course this is the type of flattery they heaped upon many paying clients). Now, even as a child I realized they were just trying to pump my ego a little bit, and that I was not god’s gift to African hunting. I really never thought much about it. When I came across this thread last year I did some searching and got a big laugh at reading Bwana Moja’s remarkably familiar origin story.

This is fantastic contribution to this thread!
Thanks!
(y)

Good chuckle. Thanks for the laugh.

The boys in Natal started calling me Nkwazi, (Fish Eagle). I was always trying to get to high points to glass in search for game. It was certainly a two sided moniker, both compliment and a comical comment of frustration and good natured ridicule. It made them nuts that I would stop and push my way through nearly impenetrable bush to get to a place to glass.
Come on Wayne. We all know you always Command the high ground.... even when you are standing on the low ground;)

Come on Wayne. We all know you always Command the high ground.... even when you are standing on the low ground;)

LOL. Perspective is everything.

O, man! White continent!

On that theme. This one wins. Does that make the OP right?

View attachment 570071
Nah the penguins are just super energy-conscious and have masked their signature with ice-generated light-bending force fields to keep us from knowing about their secretive empire. The best part, you see, is that unlike Wakanda using vibranium, nobody cares enough about the ice to really bother trying to attack.

I guess now I'll have to stop referring to Canada as the "Great White North", or a certain part of Germany as the "Black Forest", as those seem racist, right wing and neo colonial.

Greetings to All,

I might know a handful of the good women and men who contribute to this forum. I met Jerome a few years back. He gave me a really cool hat and it blew off my head when I was taking a helicopter ride hovering above the Okavango Delta.

I might chime in from time to time. I'm here to read more than write. Someone had written somewhere on one of these forums that I had exited hunting and had become anti 2A. That was trash. Some chump trying to take a shot at me. Wasn't the first time.

My love affair with that continent has laid the foundation for my affinity for writing about African safaris and animals. I try to write intelligent pieces. Stuff that other writers don't write. Stuff that you don't even know. I'm not good at writing the same ole stuff everyone else does. I write to make the hunting community smarter, and to enable you to come home in one piece and shoot just one shot. Not doing any filming anymore or video production.

Asante,
Moja

View attachment 482439
Dear Bwana Moja

Enjoy the love affair...
Enjoy writing...
Enjoy reading...
Enjoy sharing...

Happy hunting and straight shooting!

Dear Bwana Moja

Enjoy the love affair...
Enjoy writing...
Enjoy reading...
Enjoy sharing...

Happy hunting and straight shooting!
Hey Kowas, maybe you can start a Bwana Mojo Fan Club?
This way you can discuss all of the fascinating WOKE Topics that is the fashion today.

PS: Since you are from Namibia, I'm sure that he will have a lot to say about how the Germans (Evil White Europeans) raped and ravaged the Himba and stole Namibia from its rightful indigenous owners.

That should be an enlightening conversation:Drool::Drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FBYChristi

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)