Hello from a new member

rdb

Reaction score
My wife and I have booked our first trip to South Africa for June of 2025. We plan on hunting with both bows and rifle. We are both very excited about the trip but believe it or not this is her trip. She is the one that brought it up and planned the whole thing. I'm just here to build arrows and have fun.

Welcome welcome welcome

Reactions: rdb
Good day! Welcome to AH! Enjoy the planning and have fun building arrows!
Johan

:S Welcome:

Welcome aboard to the both of you! Have fun planning! Enjoy everyday of the hunt while you are there. The tally sheet is not the most important, enjoy being in the moment.

Welcome to you! You're at THE right place!

Be careful about getting too worked up. Don't want to have a stroke before you even get on the plane. :D. It will be an adventure. Great that your wife will be able share it with you. Or rather, you're sharing her adventure? What do you plan on hunting? Kudu is a must but shooting one with a bow would be a tall order I think. Warthog is a good item for bow. Blue wildebeest and impala can be stalked close in heavy cover. Springbuck and blesbuck are typically 200+ yards in open country. Similarly it is difficult to close the gap on black wildebeest. They also like open country. Seems a lot of guys have success stalking gemsbuck in gillies gear. They have a weakness for being curious, especially lone bulls. Hartbeest are difficult to get close because they are herd critters and usually found in semi open country. Too many eyes. Your wife should start out on blesbuck and I'm sure that will be your PH's plan. Not terribly wary but wide open spaces critter. Hard to get closer than 150 yards but possible in broken country. They are also afflicted with curiosity. I expect kudu will wait till she has settled in and taken at least blesbuck and impala. Actually, I get a kick hunting impala though most guys treat them like they're varmints. They are quite numerous and on many properties with low fences they are free roaming. So the property owner and PH rarely know what will turn up. Impala can be found just about anywhere. Often in groups but not always. My two best rams were lone bachelors. And they are a cheap trophy so go ahead and take a couple. I was hunting waterbuck last year when this fine ram appeared. We weren't having much luck finding a certain waterbuck bull so I took him.
20230813_102653.jpg

Waterbuck aren't the most wary critter and sable hunt was downright disappointing. They are a beautiful trophy but my experience has been they are not terribly challenging. Sable are quite pricey usually. For the same money I would prefer hunting a couple of kudu or half a dozen or more impala. Springbuck are very numerous, pretty little things, but they can be very challenging. You'll see a ton of them ("thick as gophers") but getting close enough for a shot can take some work, especially with a bow. Nyala and bushbuck inhabit thick country. Stalking can be a real challenge! Both are kinda pricey. Both are exceptionally beautiful trophies. Kudu is the best of everything. Difficult country, extremely wary, big stunning animals, not cheap but not silly expensive, and great eating. Budget the time and money to hunt kudu ... or you will be booking another trip for a second safari before you return. I have three on the wall and would have four but stars didn't quite align on my last trip. Oh well. We must have seen forty in nine days of hunting.

Welcome to AH. Congratulations on planning your first safari. Tons of great info on this site. The “search” button will answer a lot of your questions but don’t be afraid to ask questions. A lot of African hunting experience here an all are glad to share their knowledge.
It’s great your wife got the ball rolling. I think you’ll both find Africa addictive.
The most important thing: Have FUN!!!

Welcome to AH!!

You will have a blast-best of luck to both of you and welcome!

Welcome!

Hunting with your wife is the best!

Good luck!

Thank you all. Form what I read on here everyone is so helpful and supportive its amazing. Definitely not like hunting North America lol. We a really looking forward to learning as much as we can in the next year so we are able to make the best out of this trip.

Welcome to AH rdb! Have fun exploring the site.

Welcome to AH!

:S Welcome: to AH!

Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AracelyMal

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,