Hats on safari

looking for some advise on what hat i should bring on my first elephant hunt in Zimbabwe in mid June?
Please send pics of any hats that have worked best for you
Tilley for me
first buffalo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is also a bit of a Joachim Phoenix look. I liked him better before he tried to portray Napoleon.
That doesn't sound good; you should go with the General Wynne-Candy look instead. :Pompus:

I do hope that your dermatologist is able to get it all. Nasty stuff.

Call me eccentric, but one of the reasons I go to Africa is to pay homage to tradition.
I can think of a lot of things to call you, but not sure that "eccentric" would be on the list. Very classy.

Actually, I always aspired to become an eccentric millionaire. Now all that I need is the money... :S Dollar:

What’s completely strange is I find it very natural to shoot offhand at 250 yards plus at moving game with my weary brain somehow automatically calculating lead etc. At the same time, it is almost awkward shooting at a stationary animal in the 150 yard plus range without a rest. I can’t explain it, but it is what it is. Like Ontario Hunter stated, I think being comfortable (at the moving game in my scenario) is due to growing up shooting a lot of clays, dove, quail, rabbits etc. with a shotgun.

Call me eccentric, but one of the reasons I go to Africa is to pay homage to tradition. Therefore, strictly no camo or ballcaps for me.

View attachment 605966

The hat is a crushable unlined Borsalino, taupe color. I know, I know--but we're all "dudes" as safari clients. I say just embrace it and enjoy.

Absolutely!

African hunting by folks who don't live in Africa, is a fertile field for the eccentric!

I have a pith helmet also, but I haven't taken it to the Dark Continent...... yet....

On the next trip, I might even take a selfie of myself driving an old Land Rover, if I can find one that is not rusted in half!

(sorry, Kevin)

Absolutely!

African hunting by folks who don't live in Africa, is a fertile field for the eccentric!

I have a pith helmet also, but I haven't taken it to the Dark Continent...... yet....

On the next trip, I might even take a selfie of myself driving an old Land Rover, if I can find one that is not rusted in half!

(sorry, Kevin)

Kinda hard to rust that aluminum body!

Absolutely!

(sorry, Kevin)
Maybe you could wear your pith helmet on your next elk hunt and post some photos on here? I know what would happen to me if I wore one into elk camp. Maybe I will? LOL

My wife is a botanist and did a London diploma in making skin care creams. She makes a special one based upon kigelia, which is common, but hers has about four other ingredients, one of which is rare and damn expensive, I know I pay for it! Anyway it almost magically gets rid of skin cancer when it first starts, literally in days. No more liquid nitrogen for me.
I am interested as well please PM me the details. Thanks

Here are some hats made in Missouri.

Attachments

• Henschel Hats – Hat Makers | Henschel Hat Company.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
I also got a pit helmet I bought at Safari Outdoors in Pretoria. Is it ok to wear this on the hunt, or is to colonial?
Could be construed as "Cultural Appropriation".

I also got a pit helmet I bought at Safari Outdoors in Pretoria. Is it ok to wear this on the hunt, or is to colonial?
The same ? Not at all. Welcome to the club.

IMG_3408.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda hard to rust that aluminum body!

Oh, it's not hard, at all, to rust out the frame and firewall.

I know...

I bought a 1972 Series III who's frame was completely rusted into. (I couldn't see it, when I bought it, because of all of the mud)

I, later, found a Series IIa (without a title) and did a complete frame-over restoration.

I had to use the Series III firewall, because that is where the VIN is located.

I would absolutely love to love Landies, but my 25 year history with vintage Rover's left me with a lot to be desired.

4 - Toyota Landcruiser's - no serious problems at all (41 years and counting)...

IMO, this thing is a joke:

1716332573194.png

You might as well save $20K and get one of these:

1716332786560.png

I'd bet on the Ford being functional longer.

Just my, not so, HO...

I have been tempted to wear one of those pith, seems practical no mater how silly I look…

I thought about trying one of these, although it is a little on the hipster side, perhaps as bad as the pith?

1716333741426.png

My dad used to wear a pith helmet when he was bush-hogging with a tractor.

Great sun protection, cool, and some protection from small limbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnjaPflaum

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)