Hats on safari

It boggles my mind that someone can take pride in buying absolute garbage and then criticize others for buying something of quality. I think it speaks to certain people’s deep-seated insecurities about their respective tax brackets.
I think that what’s often overlooked is relativity of costs. Is it silly to spend $800-$1000 on a hat? What if you make $10,000 to $20,000 a day? Some people on this forum make that. Several, I would wager. Inconsequential. If you make $200-$400 a day, would be completely irrational. Same hat.

On the boat with a cigar, my fishing buddy and I prefer the coolness. And it's cool!
View attachment 604989
"Dr. Livingstone, I presume." I have an old one hanging in the shop (sold as promotional items by tractor dealers way back before the advent of shade canopies and cabs.) I've only seen them for IH, Ferguson and Ford (the latter 2 of which sold widely in Africa. Massey-F still does!)
1715438090087.png

I'd suggest this one. It's the best option, and may just assist on the financial/security/energy/economy fronts in the homeland!
1715438402826.png

I’ve always been partial to the old fly fishing up-downer cap. I found them again at a Walmart in Destin, Florida for $10. Unfortunately, they are a light khaki. Now if they were like this one, I’d say it would be perfect. So what if you’d look like Lefty Kreh hunting elephants.

1715438769954.jpeg

It boggles my mind that someone can take pride in buying absolute garbage and then criticize others for buying something of quality. I think it speaks to certain people’s deep-seated insecurities about their respective tax brackets.
It boggles my mind how some people think spending a lot of money on stuff equates "quality." It ain't necessarily so. I remember one of my high school chums who put himself majorly into debt to buy a "quality" Jaguar XKE. What a piece of crap! It was in the shop more than on the road.

Some of us aren't into the white hunter style show and some of us are. Oh well. No one is criticizing. Well, not from the "absolute garbage" crowd anyway. I think the insecurity comes from discovering not everyone worships your exhaulted tax bracket. FYI I'm retired, my income is well over six figures, and no debt. For a ballcap hunter I'm doing okay. Not filthy rich, but okay.

I’ve always been partial to the old fly fishing up-downer cap. I found them again at a Walmart in Destin, Florida for $10. Unfortunately, they are a light khaki. Now if they were like this one, I’d say it would be perfect. So what if you’d look like Lefty Kreh hunting elephants.

View attachment 605000
Is that the same as a "flats cap"? Design is borrowed from the highly functional French Foreign Legion service caps.

I think that what’s often overlooked is relativity of costs. Is it silly to spend $800-$1000 on a hat? What if you make $10,000 to $20,000 a day? Some people on this forum make that. Several, I would wager. Inconsequential. If you make $200-$400 a day, would be completely irrational. Same hat.
Many can afford it. They simply choose to do something else with the money (charitable contributions, fund educations, buy more tangible toys, spend it where you're hunting, etc.) Then, there's the conspicuous consumption angle many choose to (or not to) get caught up in. Although many millionaires+ exist out there, not all would spend their disposable income on such things. How sad that a couple-few million net worth in Bidenworld isn't so valuable at the moment. I adore hunting and the preparations for same. If a fashionista, I'd move to NYC, LA or Miami. Yet another camp might say-purchase quality items that'll never need replacement (that aspect works for me!) 'Have so many cheap hats worn over the years (ripped to shreds) hanging as trophies on antlers up at the farm. My elders would say-you should've purchased a couple really tough/quality hats! That said, to each, their own. :) I am reminded here of a guy that once rolled up to a hunting camp, in the snow, in an AWD pearl white mercedes car. Many giggled and shook their heads (even moreso where, over the course of a week it sank in deep mud from the resulting snow melt-ALL laughed and shook their heads when it was pulled out via farm tractor or 4wd pickup (i forget which.) Also something about the right tool for the job. Function over form. Luckily, there are not many fashion police in Africa. I did once hear an old Brit SA PH say how disgusting t-shirts were on the hunt (he was not addressing me,) and it was interesting...He said African hunters must not appear sloven. Although I did not, many other PHs would simply smile and accept the funds, no matter what duds were donned. Not caught up in hats, but quality clothing works well (though the Jess bush and the many thorny shrubs/trees in Africa will eventually shred everything.) Those ripped shirts and pants are amongst my favorite trophies! :) You should really consider wearing a hat in the hot African sun and to protect from potentially dangerous insects. Pulling the brim down could mean the difference between a shot or no shot when directly facing the sun! And, it also rains there at times.

I have tried a stiff brimmed hat, which worked great while hunting, but was a pain for air travel.
Exactly!
I love brimmed hats, and bought two in Africa, but then, as you mentioned - air travel with it is pain in the neck. I tried twice to fly home with brimmed hats, and had more problems on air plane then pleasure, cannot rest my head with hat on, have no place to put it, if I hang it on the neck, down the chest it is obstruction for food tray, takes additional place in luggage compartment, if kept on head disturbing next seat passenger, etc. clumsy in airplane. But during actual safari they are very good, protecting the neck and shoulders from heating sun.

Maybe brimmed hats will be more used by locals or PH, not concerned with air travel, but international hunter will incline more towards baseball hat. At least I do.

I agree completely: it’s all subjective. To me, these criticisms are no different than it would be to criticize someone for taking a full bag in Tanzania or searching for a hundred pounder in Botswana or a black rhino in Namibia, among other costly pursuits. I for one hope those who can will continue to do so and post pictures when they can. The criticisms are absurd and petty.

I won’t pretend to understand the motivation, but it is a sad approach to life.

money, interests, and peoples willingness to spend and/or prioritize things they spend on are all relative..

I take myself as an example... I an far from "rich".. but I recognize that I am very well seated at the higher end of the "middle class".. and dont really want for much..

I am also however very pragmatic and frugal about most things.. and rarely splurge on "stuff" that is lavish or "best" quality...

Im the guy that can afford a rigby.. but choses to shoot a winchester.. that can afford to live probably 2 steps up the scale comparatively to the house I am in, but consciously made the decision to not do that and keep our house note to a minimum (roughly 75 +/- members here have been in my home and can attest to it being a fairly middle class place in a middle class neighborhood, etc.. albeit probably on the higher end of what most would consider middle class)..

I do spend quite a bit more than most on travel, hunts, etc.. where most of my local DSC buddies try to take an international hunt/vacation once every couple of years, my wife and I generally do 2 fairly big hunts every single year, and have done as many as 4 in a year..

My wifes tastes are a bit different than mine though.. while she also is pragmatic and frugal.. she generally wants something 1 or 2 steps up the scale from my desires.. while again, we can afford to own a couple of rigbys, I generally shoot "winchester" grade rifles.. and my wife will typically go more the kimber grade of things.. where I am perfectly happy shooting leupold, she generally wants swaro or zeiss, etc..etc..

Whats key is.. I dont disparage people that shoot ruger americans or wear wal-mart hunting clothes.. nor do I disparage people that shoot rigbys and wear custom tailored hunting clothing, caps, etc..

Ive got a buddy thats a senior executive with one the largest financial institutions in the US that I hunt with routinely.. he makes more money in a year than my wife and I combined (probably makes more in 6 months than we do honestly).. his income would certainly put him in the top 2% of earners in the US (Id guess he is well within 1%).. but he, like me, shoots common guns, wears, common clothes, etc... even though he could pay cash to buy just about any bespoke london best rifle out there and not have it impact his personal petty cash account to any noticeable measure.. and hes never hunted outside of the US..

I have another buddy that is a retired Army NCO that barely scrapes out an existence living in Montana running a small machine shop that repairs farm equipment.. that has a closet full of sitka gear, he shoots a 10K custom built rifle thats topped with top grade S&B glass, and he does a pretty substantial hunt in South Africa every year..

If you didnt know these two guys and only judged them by the way they look and the gear they take to the field when they hunt, you'd likely guess that the retired NCO is living somewhere between the high end of middle and the lower end of upper class.. and the investment bank senior executive was living somewhere closer to the middle or the low end of the middle class..

And you'd be wrong..

their priorities are just different.. what they place value on is different..

Both are exceptional hunters by the way.. very much into the conservation side of things.. etc..etc..

Life is too short not to be happy, and your happy and my happy may be quite different. For sure quality doesn't necessarily equate to high cost, apart from the aesthetic quality has a high component of functionality and reliability. But quality is indeed a big factor to make me happy, I despise rubbish. For example, I have parked my hand made (expensive) hunting knife in favour of the little Opinel carbone, it is simply superior quality even though it only costs about $10. I like nice shirts though: enough length, well cut button holes, etc. The ones I got from Westley Richards are superb, they indeed make me happy, but at $200 each they are high cost. So I tried to make something similar (well via a very good local tailer), bought 100% cotton fabric, dyed it, lots of effort. They are nowhere near the quality and satisfaction factor of the WR ones and a big disappointment. So back to WR I go.
I can't wear ball caps, the ears and neck take a pounding and the just don't do it for me. The pithys were stumbled upon as a really great outdoor solution regardless of the look, I just like them and I couldn't care less what people think. But blow me down, many of my circle now wear them too!

money, interests, and peoples willingness to spend and/or prioritize things they spend on are all relative..

I take myself as an example... I an far from "rich".. but I recognize that I am very well seated at the higher end of the "middle class".. and dont really want for much..

I am also however very pragmatic and frugal about most things.. and rarely splurge on "stuff" that is lavish or "best" quality...

Im the guy that can afford a rigby.. but choses to shoot a winchester.. that can afford to live probably 2 steps up the scale comparatively to the house I am in, but consciously made the decision to not do that and keep our house note to a minimum (roughly 75 +/- members here have been in my home and can attest to it being a fairly middle class place in a middle class neighborhood, etc.. albeit probably on the higher end of what most would consider middle class)..

I do spend quite a bit more than most on travel, hunts, etc.. where most of my local DSC buddies try to take an international hunt/vacation once every couple of years, my wife and I generally do 2 fairly big hunts every single year, and have done as many as 4 in a year..

My wifes tastes are a bit different than mine though.. while she also is pragmatic and frugal.. she generally wants something 1 or 2 steps up the scale from my desires.. while again, we can afford to own a couple of rigbys, I generally shoot "winchester" grade rifles.. and my wife will typically go more the kimber grade of things.. where I am perfectly happy shooting leupold, she generally wants swaro or zeiss, etc..etc..

Whats key is.. I dont disparage people that shoot ruger americans or wear wal-mart hunting clothes.. nor do I disparage people that shoot rigbys and wear custom tailored hunting clothing, caps, etc..

Ive got a buddy thats a senior executive with one the largest financial institutions in the US that I hunt with routinely.. he makes more money in a year than my wife and I combined (probably makes more in 6 months than we do honestly).. his income would certainly put him in the top 2% of earners in the US (Id guess he is well within 1%).. but he, like me, shoots common guns, wears, common clothes, etc... even though he could pay cash to buy just about any bespoke london best rifle out there and not have it impact his personal petty cash account to any noticeable measure.. and hes never hunted outside of the US..

I have another buddy that is a retired Army NCO that barely scrapes out an existence living in Montana running a small machine shop that repairs farm equipment.. that has a closet full of sitka gear, he shoots a 10K custom built rifle thats topped with top grade S&B glass, and he does a pretty substantial hunt in South Africa every year..

If you didnt know these two guys and only judged them by the way they look and the gear they take to the field when they hunt, you'd likely guess that the retired NCO is living somewhere between the high end of middle and the lower end of upper class.. and the investment bank senior executive was living somewhere closer to the middle or the low end of the middle class..

And you'd be wrong..

their priorities are just different.. what they place value on is different..

Both are exceptional hunters by the way.. very much into the conservation side of things.. etc..etc..
As a Rigby Influencer, I am up for that challenge. With the proper amount of spirits and conversation applied, I am sure we can have you in that new Rigby very soon! And I will throw in the hat! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Safe hunting

Probably my imagination but i feel i can see and hear better from under a hat brim. Additionally, a brim protects my skin better from the sun and shades my face from glare alerting animals i am stalking. I grew up under Western hats so am used to dealing with a brim. However, my headgear changes with weather and environment. I may be seen with boonies to ball caps.

if Borsalinos attract beautiful Blondes I may try one. Thank you Tanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniloEato

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani