Hats on safari

I’m a ball cap guy. Partial to this Kuiu hat currently but just bought a nice Stetson. I might wear the cowboy hat if I ever get to go back
IMG_7833.jpeg

My dermatologist and I have entirely too frequent an association. Therefore, in Africa, I usually wear something with a brim. I have tried a stiff brimmed hat, which worked great while hunting, but was a pain for air travel.

This is a Barron and the same one they made for Redford's character in out of Africa. I decided the puggaree would be a bit over the top. It still finds its way to quail hunts and dove shoots, but it is too much trouble for air travel. He looked better in it.
Blaser buff.jpg

Several years ago I discovered a cotton Tilley that is just about perfect. Have no idea the model name. However, it rolls up easily and provides great sun protection. It even has a bit of the Stewart Granger look without appearing like a sport on his first safari.
buff11.jpg

I would rather stay home than be caught wearing a pith helmet. :oops:

About the last thing I’m interested in is changing my normal, day to day outdoor routine when in Africa….looking like or trying to look the part of a walking Westley Richards catalog advertisement ;)
:D We must be related. My thinking exactly. I go to Africa to hunt, not to parade in a style show. But expect to take some heat from the Stewart Granger lookalikes. Did you catch the thread about the +$1K handmade fur felt safari hats? I posted a photo of my similar $20 crushable wool felt hat bought at a California grocery store. They didn't like that. The dialogue was quite amusing.

My dermatologist and I have entirely too frequent an association. Therefore, in Africa, I usually wear something with a brim. I have tried a stiff brimmed hat, which worked great while hunting, but was a pain for air travel.

This is a Barron and the same one they made for Redford's character in out of Africa. I decided the puggaree would be a bit over the top. It still finds its way to quail hunts and dove shoots, but it is too much trouble for air travel. He looked better in it.
View attachment 604946

Several years ago I discovered a cotton Tilley that is just about perfect. Have no idea the model name. However, it rolls up easily and provides great sun protection. It even has a bit of the Stewart Granger look without appearing like a sport on his first safari.
View attachment 604952

Those Tilley hats are practical indeed. I just can't bring myself to be branded as an old guy ... even if I am. So I wear what I've always worn hunting: a ball cap BRIM FACING FORWARD! And NO flat brim. And no ratty purposed worn spots. I am not a skinny pants millennial or a monster truck Bubba or a coke dealer. Some stereotypes are worth avoiding. Correction: all stereotypes are worth avoiding.

I have a Tilley Airflo, keeps the top of my ears and my neck out of the overhead sun when trying to walk down elephant or eland. Crushable, washable, a bit more breathable than most, and covering all that is necessary. Heavy duty cotton resists most thorns and the cord inside allows you to put it under your chin like a chin strap and make sure it does not fly off when you are sitting in the bakkie going at high speed in the morning, or going on a fishing trip with a speedboat. When walking just put the cord back in the hat and put it on.

A ball cap just does not cut it. No sun protection for ears and back of the neck. Looks cool, does not perform.

A friend want to Eastern Cape, bringing a baseball cap with mesh top/sides. Shade for the eyes and ventilation on top. Perfect!
Having not much hair he came home looking like a nicely tied up boneless porkroast with perfect cracling.
I learned forty years ago mesh ball caps are useless. Not enough weight to stay put on my head. They were the signature golf attire until Tilley came along. I will admit it's very hard these days to find a good ballcap that fits size 7.5" head. I guess it's because all ballcaps are now made in China. How many Chinamen do you see with anything bigger than 6.75" head?

Tilly plus a baseball cap. A stick of sunscreen for the top of your ears and behind neck when wearing the cap - or get crispy.

Rogue hats made in South Africa.

b1ed4749-4729-463c-93c5-3f252db937cc.jpeg

View attachment 604946

View attachment 604952

He didn’t mean it @Kevin Peacocke lol!!!!

View attachment 604946

View attachment 604952

That’s a Tilley Wanderer. It is my go to hat on safari.

Actually, wallyworld occasionally sells in bulk, various style camo, fairly good quality ball caps made in Bangladesh. Velcro adj strap. 4.97 cash money.

I’ll let others buy grossly overpriced, “bespoke” hunting attire then pose and post the hi-mom pics. Then try to sell others on that wisdom. WR store… Hessian? (Selous) safari jacket 835.00. Ball cap 40.00. Fedora 350.00. Shorts 225.00 Vests 200.00-500.00 and so on. Whatever blows your skirt :)

What's most comfortable to you and provides the protection you want. Whatever you do, don't wash it when you get home. The dirt and sweat brings back memories of earned trophies. Here are my two ball caps from my buffalo safaris. They hang above my computer as I type this.

Safari Hats with miles on them.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It boggles my mind that someone can take pride in buying absolute garbage and then criticize others for buying something of quality. I think it speaks to certain people’s deep-seated insecurities about their respective tax brackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonaSpann4

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani