Gun shop with indoor range and classes near Austin?

Scott CWO

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
My brother-in-law works for Apple in Singapore and is moving back to the USA with his young family to Austin. I’ve had quite the influence on him and he now wants a Ford F-250 crewcab, a rifle and a handgun! Voting Republican!

He’s never hunted or been a gun enthusiast. Is there a good gun shop in the Austin or Round Rock area with an indoor range where he can buy guns and take some classes? He’s never handled firearms except at my home.

Red’s indoor gun range in Pflugerville.

100yd indoor rifle range, handgun lanes, sales, gun rental and ammo.

Be prepared for employees of varying intelligence, I was shooting my .470ne there once and when checking out I had a brain dead employee come storming up to me and say….

“If I catch you shooting rifle rounds out of a 20ga double barrel shotgun again your banned from the range for LIFE!”

I was taken aback by the idiocy of this statement and started to let fly with my opinion of the situation when thankfully the manager walked up and asked what I was up to - a quick inspection of my rifle resolved the situation and the employee learned what a double rifle is.

Also during my 10years in Austin, on average once a year someone would walk in, rent a handgun, buy a box of ammo and proceed to commit suicide infront of god and everyone in the handgun lanes.

The range at Austin

McBride’s Guns, no indoor range, just guns

The range at Austin is definitely an option but it’s on the south end of Austin in I35 - depending on traffic it’s going to be a 3hr round trip from Round Rock….. not kidding.

McBrides is a great privately owned store and probably the last true gun store in Austin; I bought my .470 there.

Shady Oaks in Cedar Park (straight shot west from Round Rock) has indoor 25 and 50 yard lanes as well as courses, they also sell new and used guns but I’ve never purchased from them. I like the staff here better than Reds but Reds is nice also. As DeeWayne mentioned, McBrides is about the only true gun store left; everything else is mostly AR’s and semi auto pistols

My brother-in-law works for Apple in Singapore and is moving back to the USA with his young family to Austin. I’ve had quite the influence on him and he now wants a Ford F-250 crewcab, a rifle and a handgun! Voting Republican!

He’s never hunted or been a gun enthusiast. Is there a good gun shop in the Austin or Round Rock area with an indoor range where he can buy guns and take some classes? He’s never handled firearms except at my home.
Reds as mentioned before. But ya employees can be all over the place and you get some annoying range neighbors….
But the salesmen are decent and will help him out

Austin is tough. I’m going to try a place out by Spicewood called eagle creek.

+1 for McBride's. I haven't been there in years, but sure enjoyed doing business with Joe and Jackie back in the 80's and 90's.

now wants a Ford F-250 crewcab, a rifle and a handgun! Voting Republican!
It will be interesting to follow up!
I wonder what rifle and a handguns would be first pick!

1) modern choice: ar15 and striker fire pistol?
2) western choice: lever action, and colt Single action revolver?
3) conservative choice: bolt action rifle and colt 1911?

It will be interesting to follow up!
I wonder what rifle and a handguns would be first pick!

1) modern choice: ar15 and striker fire pistol?
2) western choice: lever action, and colt Single action revolver?
3) conservative choice: bolt action rifle and colt 1911?
Actually, he wants a bolt rifle, an AR and a semi-auto handgun.

@Scott CWO

My advice to your brother would be to test fire handguns at Reds to try out different models and then purchase at McBride’s.

Also, he’s gonna need a 10/22 because everybody needs one those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitzi0685

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,