Whit

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA (TX, WY, AR, NC), New Zealand, Germany, Slovakia, South Africa, Austria
Folks,

I am looking to source a recommendation for a gun dealer to 1) evaluate condition & fair market value and 2) potentially sell 6+ firearms via consignment. I am hoping the collective knowledge of this forum will be able help find a professional, honest and trustworthy dealer.

Background: while stationed in Europe since 2019, I've collected a number of beautiful European firearms (Heym, Merkel, H&H, Redolfi). It's been a lot of fun to acquire different guns for the collection, and man - every once in a while you just find a great deal, and that's a blast. However, now that I am PCSing from Europe and transitioning to a different branch, it's time to liquidate, via consignment or DIY - not sure which. I may try to sell a couple on my own, but orders may have me overseas once again. Plus, I do want a professional, honest and trustworthy evaluation of the condition and value of the weapons. (Guesses can be haphazarded from GunValues and Blue Book of Gun Values, but it's hard to say exactly). The first two to return home have gone to a dealer in Montana, but his evaluation has been... evasive, at best and consighment terms are less than transparent, handing all the upside to the . Needless to say - I am not doing business with this guy any more.

Who can recommend someone with a strong background in evaluating European weapons (mostly shotguns, one DR and a drilling)?

Thanks,

Whit

Folks,

I am looking to source a recommendation for a gun dealer to 1) evaluate condition & fair market value and 2) potentially sell 6+ firearms via consignment. I am hoping the collective knowledge of this forum will be able help find a professional, honest and trustworthy dealer.

Background: while stationed in Europe since 2019, I've collected a number of beautiful European firearms (Heym, Merkel, H&H, Redolfi). It's been a lot of fun to acquire different guns for the collection, and man - every once in a while you just find a great deal, and that's a blast. However, now that I am PCSing from Europe and transitioning to a different branch, it's time to liquidate, via consignment or DIY - not sure which. I may try to sell a couple on my own, but orders may have me overseas once again. Plus, I do want a professional, honest and trustworthy evaluation of the condition and value of the weapons. (Guesses can be haphazarded from GunValues and Blue Book of Gun Values, but it's hard to say exactly). The first two to return home have gone to a dealer in Montana, but his evaluation has been... evasive, at best and consighment terms are less than transparent, handing all the upside to the . Needless to say - I am not doing business with this guy any more.

Who can recommend someone with a strong background in evaluating European weapons (mostly shotguns, one DR and a drilling)?

Thanks,

Whit
Champlin or JJ Perodeau would be who I would choose.
I’m having trouble pulling up Mr. Perodeau’s website for some reason so can’t provide a link. Just search ‘JJ Perodeau Gunmaker’.

+1 on Champlin. They are located near the airport in Enid, Oklahoma. Talk to George Caswell.

info@champlinarms.com
580-237-7388

Just for clarity's sake, are the firearms currently in Europe or in the US? And in which location are you trying to get them appraised and consigned?

@Whit

I do a fair amount of appraisals and gun searches for people. What I'll say is that it is an "inefficient marketplace". Meaning, where a gun is and where it is sold can sway the value considerably.

A $100,000 replacement cost Heym drilling in Austro-German countries might sell at auction there for $50,000-$70,000. (keeping to USD for clarity) That gun in America will languish at $20,000 for an eternity.

A Heym largebore double rifle, barely used, originally costing $15,000 in continental Europe might languish at $10,000 there but sell in two weeks in America for $20,000.

A german shotgun is all but worthless in the USA unless it is a Krieghoff K80 or smallbore equivalent, engraved by known engravers to the US market. (Churchill, Bee, Kornbrath, etc.)

Before you go lugging guns around the world, you should figure out where it's highest and best marketability is located. Otherwise, you'll shoot yourself in the foot. Also, beware of consignors, they will tell you your stuff is worth a fortune and will get the guns, offering you 85% of the proceeds. A year later, they'll convince you to take half of what they pledged as their value. It cost them nothing, it cost you a year's time and you probably could have sold it for more. Now the gun is stale on the market, everyone is suspicious, and its worth even less. Consignors have no skin in the game and no consequences financially for lying to get the gun, they get paid something for their services no matter what, they just need to frustrate you for awhile until you're demoralized enough to take a lowball offer. They win, you lost.

If the rifles/guns are still in Europe, let the EU members of AH know. Perhaps a deal can be struck before you transport them to the US

Folks,

Thanks,

Whit
I have owned 5 DRs. JJ Perodeau is the absolute genious of DRs. Ken Owen is incredible two. Beyond these two good luck. As far as opinion not being part of his job there is none better than @rookhawk

Just for clarity's sake, are the firearms currently in Europe or in the US? And in which location are you trying to get them appraised and consigned?
The weapons are in Germany, and will be heading home shortly.

If the rifles/guns are still in Europe, let the EU members of AH know. Perhaps a deal can be struck before you transport them to the US
If the European members of the forum are interested - by all means!

@Whit

I do a fair amount of appraisals and gun searches for people. What I'll say is that it is an "inefficient marketplace". Meaning, where a gun is and where it is sold can sway the value considerably.

A $100,000 replacement cost Heym drilling in Austro-German countries might sell at auction there for $50,000-$70,000. (keeping to USD for clarity) That gun in America will languish at $20,000 for an eternity.

A Heym largebore double rifle, barely used, originally costing $15,000 in continental Europe might languish at $10,000 there but sell in two weeks in America for $20,000.

A german shotgun is all but worthless in the USA unless it is a Krieghoff K80 or smallbore equivalent, engraved by known engravers to the US market. (Churchill, Bee, Kornbrath, etc.)

Before you go lugging guns around the world, you should figure out where it's highest and best marketability is located. Otherwise, you'll shoot yourself in the foot. Also, beware of consignors, they will tell you your stuff is worth a fortune and will get the guns, offering you 85% of the proceeds. A year later, they'll convince you to take half of what they pledged as their value. It cost them nothing, it cost you a year's time and you probably could have sold it for more. Now the gun is stale on the market, everyone is suspicious, and its worth even less. Consignors have no skin in the game and no consequences financially for lying to get the gun, they get paid something for their services no matter what, they just need to frustrate you for awhile until you're demoralized enough to take a lowball offer. They win, you lost.
This is good advice. I've done quite a bit of market research/values research before pulling the trigger - metaphorically speaking - and carefully purchased weapons only when it's a very good value.

Recognized this with the first dealer... I think I will just try to sell the weapons on my own. GunsInternational should work out pretty well, or maybe the local Cabela's will make me a good offer.

Whit, check ATF rules before putting up your firearms for sale in the US. The rules may have changed since I PCS’d back from Germany to the US awhile back. However when I processed ATF paperwork to bring my firearms to the US, the ATF form was prominently stamped “not for resale”.

If the European members of the forum are interested - by all means!
Well, I would suggest you put some pictures, descriptions and prices up :)

I have found Kirby Hoyt of Vintage Doubles to be honest and even handed with regard to values of guns, particularly vintage doubles, but also other guns of older models. He will either buy a gun outright or place it on consignment. His e-mail is Kirby@vintagedoubles.com His location is a few miles south of Wenatchee, Washington State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuriigowform

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.