AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
us.leica-camera.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
L1030853.jpg

You have to be prepared to spend a bit of time – grilling a wild freshling is a real event. And one that is well worth it: while the meat is browning, you can prepare the side dishes and look forward to the meal in good company.

Ingredients​

For the marinade

• olive oil
  • lemon juice
  • mustard
  • garlic
  • honey
  • parsley
  • thyme
  • marjoram
  • rosemary
  • salt and pepper

Preparation​

Remove the skin from the young boar, which should weigh no more than 15 kg (and, of course, be well-hung), and cut off the head. If you like, you can leave the head on, but for simplicity’s sake, we always cut it off. It looks nicer and is less work when removing the skin. Cut off the front feet at the ankle joint. Now lay the young boar on a large board or in a shallow dish and remove the thick tendons and silver skin from the meat. Now make a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, honey, parsley, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and coat the young boar well with it. Cover with cling film and leave in a game fridge overnight.

L1030677-1.jpg

Prepare the barbecue and allow the briquettes to reach a good glow. Place the glowing briquettes on the left and right sides of the grill so that an indirect grilling zone is created in the middle. Now pull the young boar onto the spit and fix it in place. Wrap the legs with aluminium foil and fix them with wire so that the foil does not fall off when turning. Now slide the spit onto the grill and switch on the motor. Make sure that the boar does not get caught on anything while rotating. Grill the roast for two to three hours at a consistent heat, depending on its size, while constantly turning it.

L1030734-1.jpg

Keep brushing with the marinade. At the end of the cooking time, remove the aluminium foil from the legs so that they turn brown too. Check the core temperature of the legs with the meat thermometer – for wild boar meat, it should be at least
75 °C, then the freshling is ready. Switch off the motor and lift the spit off the grill. Carve the roasted freshling and serve with baked tomatoes and rosemary potatoes.

L1030766.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
divydestination1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?