DLSJR

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, South Africa, Tanzania
As my son and I prepare for our upcoming hunt in the Selous, we’ve been out shooting our 375’s & 416. Usually we practice off Gunstix (which are excellent, if you haven’t tried them) at 50-100 yards. Today we changed up a couple things, going from a standard ‘Shoot & See’ bullseye target to one of the Safari Press Cape Buffalo targets. We also shot offhand from a bit over 40 yards (because I forgot the Gunstix at home!). The buffalo target is probably 75% of life size and on the back side it has the organs drawn so you can see what your shots hit. We didn’t get the target on the plywood quite right, so left the head off, but the important section with the chest was on the plywood. Here are a few pictures of our headless Cape buffalo and results. I highly recommend these targets. If you’re headed to Africa to hunt buffalo, these targets will help you prepare.
IMG_0336.jpeg
IMG_0339.jpeg
IMG_0343.jpeg

A very good training setup. A couple of questions. What's the overall dimensions and the preferred thickness of ply? Also how do you see the reverse side, showing the organs, if the target is stuck to a plywood backer?

A very good training setup. A couple of questions. What's the overall dimensions and the preferred thickness of ply? Also how do you see the reverse side, showing the organs, if the target is stuck to a plywood backer?
The way I built ours is using 1x2 for the entire frame. Then I stapled cardboard as a backer over the entire frame EXCEPT the vital viewing area.
Target panels are tacked to front.
Simple, light and only requires walking to the rear of the target to see whats what.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.33.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.33.24 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.33.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 1.33.26 PM.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 102
The way I built ours is using 1x2 for the entire frame. Then I stapled cardboard as a backer over the entire frame EXCEPT the vital viewing area.
Target panels are tacked to front.
Simple, light and only requires walking to the rear of the target to see whats what.
BnC 04 is smarter than me, for a couple reasons…. #1 he made a much better target holder than me as we just used an old sheet of 3/8” plywood I had laying around. I like his target holder way better! And #2, he actually got his entire target on the frame. :ROFLMAO:

No matter how fancy or simple a paper target may be, it is 2 dimensional. For hunting shot placement and bullet track on any big game, you have to think in 3 dimensions. For buffalo or large animal practice, I just use a plain, large black bull on a paper target or a large paper plate, spray painted black, on a piece of cardboard. I practice from about 25 yards to no more than about 100.

Just got the buffalo and kudu targets. Very good people to deal with. Arrived in 2 days. These targets are impressive.

Reactions: RLL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vanzierho

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.