German Claw Mount Red Dot?

Jared

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Ireland,
So I might get some hate on this, but has anyone mounted a red dot somehow on a German style claw mount double rifle? I just purchased another double rifle, and have used Leupold Delta Point Pros on my previous guns. But they had rails. Is this possible? Or should I just run a low power scope? Please let me know what you recommend. Thanks

5E58880E-B269-4738-8F4A-F39470B1EF32.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You may get some hate but there are those of us that also wonder this. Well asked

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 7.07.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 7.07.10 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 7.07.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 7.07.12 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
So I might get some hate on this, but has anyone mounted a red dot somehow on a German style claw mount double rifle?
I was closely involved in this.
My friend had combination gun rifle/shotgun OU with German claw mount scope system.

He bought a separate red dot.
We took it to gunsmith. (because local gunsmith is my friend, so to make it easy with proper introduction)
Gunsmith installed
It worked,
It was accurate.
(accurate, elegant, easily removable, user friendly, kept zero)
No issues.

If I remember correctly (although I might be wrong) he did also bought some fittings for this mount in the shop mentioning to shop keeper it will be installed on claw mounts.

Picatinny rail can work, as per above picture. But this in my example was with direct claw system, and more elegant.
To each, his own, but I think picatinny rail is for modern rifles with closed bridge over action. Steyer, tikka and similar.

For classics, like break action or bolt action open top rifles, picatinny is NOT good taste.

Last edited:
I bought a Heym 88b .375 H&H with a claw mounted scope, so I’ve been researching red dot options too. This is the best option I’ve found so far.

If you prefer a Trijicon sight Henneberger makes a similar mount for the Trijicon

From the Recknagel catalogue. It fits the rear claw mount base, just needs a capable smith to file it to fit properly
Exactly! (y)

So can these be purchased in the US? Leave for South Africa in 7 weeks. I don’t have a lot of time

I doubt anyone in the US stocks them, but NECG would be my first place to call if I were looking there. Odd euro mounts like this I normally order from opticstrade in Slovenia. But you’d probably be lucky to even find someone to fit the base properly in that time frame.

I doubt anyone in the US stocks them, but NECG would be my first place to call if I were looking there. Odd euro mounts like this I normally order from opticstrade in Slovenia. But you’d probably be lucky to even find someone to fit the base properly in that time frame.
I’ll check it out. Thanks guys!

Great thread. I almost bought a beautiful DR with claw mounts but wanted a red dot and could not figure out how to make that happen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kerri63S2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….