Gaiters or blousing garters?

I was in the Zambezi valley last week in the Mana area and we went out for a morning game drive. Got to a nice spot and the guides suggested we walk back to camp and come back in Carruthers later in the afternoon to collect their game vehicle. Obviously they just wanted a ride in the Landy. I wasn't expecting to walk so didn't have the gaiters along. Big mistake, not only from the grass seeds, but the sand in the river bed crossings. Always wear your gaiters, you never know. Even in board meetings, there are often more pricks there than in the bush!

I sometimes wear Boyt's short canvas gaiters to keep seeds, bugs, and thorns out of my socks. They work fine. For use in Africa I dose them with bug dope.

Attachments

• Tick and Chigger Gaiters.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
I always pack an aerosol can of permethrin for exactly this reason. I lace up my boots and then spray the bottom of my pants and boots to keep the nasties out.

I prefer my old OR synthetic gaiters. Picked up the habit in the backcountry of New Zealand, tramping endlessly across the South Island. Really does wonders to keep stickers, burrs, thorns, water, damp, grass, etc, out of socks and boots. Not much more in the way of weight. Comfortable with long pants or shorts. In fact, I just used them while hunting the Austrian Alps last weekend for Birkhahn. It was a rainy, damp morning, but coupled with a pair of waterproof LL Bean boots, my legs and feet were all snug and dry - super important!

Man I hated wearing those things!!!
Freaking uncomfortable for extended periods against the calves... they eventually compress the blood flow, ugh

I always pack an aerosol can of permethrin for exactly this reason. I lace up my boots and then spray the bottom of my pants and boots to keep the nasties out.

No problem flying with an aerosol can?

No if you are talking about the almost knee high ones, leave them home if tight on weight or take them as "just in case" things. They are going to be hot and miserably heavy on long stalks.

What you want are the Courtney type that go just above the ankle. I prefer leather but canvas works also.

Yes take deet! Take the high powered stuff and leave any extra for your PH. Deet is not available in Africa. Do not expect it to work on tsetse flies. For that you need elephant dung and a rubber snake. Your PH should have a gunny sack to gather and store elephant dung. You put the rubber snake in there to keep people from stealing your elephant shit. It is the most valuable commodity you will have in a tsetse fly area!

The Deet will keep mosquitoes off. But to the flies it is like hot BBQ sauce to a native Texan!

View attachment 599602View attachment 599603

Those boyt ones I use...got a pair to test...and next time at sci bought 2 more pairs..

Ignore the woke garbage that pops up as soon as you click the link.

Yeah see what you mean at beginning.....and yeah not great way to go....

I'm a shorts and ankle gaiters kind of guy.
If it's warm enough I don't like getting caught up with long pants. Use your permethrine and keep moving.

Returning tomorrow to the US from a successful bongo/forest sitatunga hunt in Southwest Cameroon. I wore full-length gaiters on every hunt in the jungle and was very impressed with their performance. Not overly hot and extra layer of clothing against the thick jungle vegetation that rips and tears at clothing and footwear. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Returning tomorrow to the US from a successful bongo/forest sitatunga hunt in Southwest Cameroon. I wore full-length gaiters on every hunt in the jungle and was very impressed with their performance. Not overly hot and extra layer of clothing against the thick jungle vegetation that rips and tears at clothing and footwear. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
Can’t wait to read your report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralph74267

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!