Further evidence of the decline of the 450/400 3"?

Idk, moneys tight. Big caliber availability is strange, comes & goes. I'd never imagine someone would produce 577/600 for immediate availability.

22's, 28ga, I thought were really difficult some time back?

I first got into reloading back in '75. Just keep expanding equipment purchases. Have dies for .450-.400, 375 H&H, .458 WM and 9.3x74R. That's just the big ones Have most of the common ones also. have 8x50R Lebel and .303 Brit for something different. My local stores have plenty of primers in all sizes. If it gets hard to find bullets I will make some. Actually trying to source bullet making equipment for awhile. Supplying just for the Safari trade would be a boutique business for sure, however it would be satisfying. Actually going to add a cnc lathe this summer to my shop, need to make more parts so I can have more money to spend on trips to Africa. Ever since I found this site, I spent untold money on doubles, large bores, hunting trips. What an addiction. Ya know, if I made bullets, I would have to go test them in Africa, sounds like a write off expense. I think I just had an awakening!!!

I acquired a 450-400 double in December and have had no trouble finding loaded ammo and components for it. All Hornady, but that was what I was looking for. I don't see it going anywhere any time soon barring a total financial collapse.

Hello all. I am big fan of the 450/400 3" cartridge and used to own and hunt with a Ruger No. 1. Easy to shoot and deadly on everything it is a great cartridge and I was determined to make my next double rifle investment a 450/400 3" whether it be a Krieghoff, Chapuis, Heym, or even a Sabatti. However, I have been following the ammo market closely (I do not reload) and have been wary of the slim pickings in recent years for this cartridge. Ten years ago Kynoch, Norma, and Hornady all offered the 450/400 3" in their line up. Now it's down to Hornady alone. I just happened to check out the Beretta website as the owners of Chapuis to see their Elan and Elan Artisan models. Lo and behold the 450/400 3" seems to be gone as an option in a double! You can now choose between .470 NE and 375 H&H only.

Not sure if this is a temporary development or a trend in the downward slope of the (commercially available anyway) 450/400 3". I hope I am wrong but welcome the thoughts of others on this forum who are more experienced and perhaps even more in the know. Thanks and Happy Easter!
I think you are mistaken. If anything I believe the 450-400 3" NE has seen a resurgence. That is probably more of the reason that rifles chambered in it and ammo and reloading components are in tight supply. As a modern double rifle cartridge I would dare say it may be the most popular right now! Or at least recently was;)

I'm still waiting for the 8-bore 3.25" to go back into production. Think Hornady will pick it up someday? ;)

The 450/400 NE 3" is a slick little cartridge but it has never been as popular as it should be

Idk, moneys tight. Big caliber availability is strange, comes & goes. I'd never imagine someone would produce 577/600 for immediate availability.

22's, 28ga, I thought were really difficult some time back?
For what it is worth the 577 Rewa that you refer to is an astonishing cartridge . Way way better than the 577 NE . One recently came into OZ as a pair of sidelock doubles with a 600 NE .

Unfortunately, Norma has never made the .450/.400 3" ammo, neither the 3 1/4".

What I need is some Hornady .450/.400 3 1/4" cases to keep my Webley & Scott alive and shooting. Any ideas where to find 50-100 Hornady cases in this caliber?

I first got into reloading back in '75. Just keep expanding equipment purchases. Have dies for .450-.400, 375 H&H, .458 WM and 9.3x74R. That's just the big ones Have most of the common ones also. have 8x50R Lebel and .303 Brit for something different. My local stores have plenty of primers in all sizes. If it gets hard to find bullets I will make some. Actually trying to source bullet making equipment for awhile. Supplying just for the Safari trade would be a boutique business for sure, however it would be satisfying. Actually going to add a cnc lathe this summer to my shop, need to make more parts so I can have more money to spend on trips to Africa. Ever since I found this site, I spent untold money on doubles, large bores, hunting trips. What an addiction. Ya know, if I made bullets, I would have to go test them in Africa, sounds like a write off expense. I think I just had an awakening!!!
What a great idea!

If I'd known more about the 450/400 in retrospect, it may have been more the focus/idealistic.
"Nosler's buy one, get one free days" were ideal, for me. But it struck a concern, "are they to do away with big bores". regulation?

Out here, who knows. It is all about business after all. if they are making money, sure.. There are many things we all like and would like to see on the market again. But, some outfits are all about the money. The smaller outfits are about personal satisfaction on seeing an old arm being put back into service. And a fair profit is not obscene. There has to be a balance. Several people told me not to make bullets as there would be not "real" money in large bore stuff. I have not given up on the idea, just need to shift gears and finish some other projects first.

Keep in mind that the mfg of the rifles also need ammo to regulate the guns and will impact production if they can not get it also. The mfg of the ammo only make the big bore ammo in short runs and concentrate on ammo with a higher demand. Ammo for the big bores was often spotty before the pandemic and has only gotten worse. Hopefully things will get somewhat back to normal in the future but in the mean time it can be a little ugly. I am still waiting on Hornady to make a run of 32 Win Special, as it has been 4 years since it was available..

And .400 can use .41 rm bullets for practice and .405 ones also and if twist and such is good the Swiss bullets also . Leaves a long line of reload options to use that . Sadly I forgot to screen dump an excellent Danish article about the .450-400 double rifle and such reload options before page was taken down .

Thinking that it is more like people are interested in the .450-.400 3" I know after reading many books about Africa I decided to purchase a rifle in this caliber. Well, looked at a Number 1 for a week or so, then noticed a Kreighoff sitting forlorn on the auction site. Big jump from $1800 to 10,500 . The double won!. I just like handling it and am making plans to start using it for what it was built for.

If you are going to spend the money on a quality double rifle, spend the money on a basic reloading kit... stop being held hostage by the ammunition manufacturers.
I promise with care it really is easy, fun and very rewarding to load your own bullets!

I work for Benelli USA and Chapuis is part of our line up, I don't see the 450-400 going anywhere. It's a real common sense choice for a versatile double without the punishing recoil. Now the question is will they build a an Iphisi model in 450-400,.....even if it was an extractor gun I believe they would sell a lot of them. The 375 Iphisi has sold well.

Maybe we should have a poll and pull Tom Leoni from BUSA into the mix.......I'm sure he's on here-----TOM?

Spoke to Tom at sci and he said they not going to make it ...think they reason he said was the number of rifles that would have to be ordered was too high....could be wrong as was only a quick conversation in passing, as he was talking to someone....shame as I was hoping it would be made...

If you are going to spend the money on a quality double rifle, spend the money on a basic reloading kit... stop being held hostage by the ammunition manufacturers.

Agreed, where that possibility exists. However as the OP points out, there are countries where reloading is either heavily restricted or just flat prohibited.

Several years ago while visiting what was touted as "the largest gun store in Bucharest," I commented on the lack of reloading supplies and equipment. The locals informed me that possession of critical reloading components (powder and primers) was prohibited; thus no reloading was possible. Hunting with muzzle-loading firearms was not possible either, for the same reason (not allowed to own black-powder).

To many of us, the option to reload for scarce or unusual calibers is a no-brainer. But others are not so fortunate, and consequently there are instances where one is indeed limited to the availability of factory ammunition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !