rifletuner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, Australia, America, New Caledonia
In the mid 1990s, I decided I needed a bigger bore than my 375H&H. I ended up building a 450 Ackley on a Sako action. It was my first custom rifle.

In 1998 I took it on a buffalo hunt in the Zambian Luangwa valley - one of the favourite hunts I have ever done. I loaded up some 500gn Woodleigh softs and sollids for the hunt. I put one soft & 3 solids into my buffalo.

When I got back home from Zambia, I took the rifle and left over ammo on a hunt in central QLD and knocked over a few pigs. Maybe a little bit more gun than I needed for that trip, but none of the pigs complained to me.

BRNB422008-B5-E70-000796.jpg

BRNB422008-B5-E70-000797.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the recoil like and weight of rifle with the 500's.
Hi mate

As with any rifle, recoil is somewhat subjective and depends on how hot I load it and how heavy the rifle is. I made the 450 with a heavy barrel contour and I added two recoil reducers to the butt of the rifle. It balanced well, and weighed in at around 10.5 pounds which I find to be a good weight with a rifle like this.

With 400gn bullets I found it very comfortable to shot. Loading it with 500gn bullets gave a noticeable step up in recoil. All the load data I could find at the time quoted a top end velocity of 2400fps with a 500gn bullet. But with the 22" barrel on the rifle and the powders available to me, I could only get to 2300fps, and my working loads were around 2250fps. I was happy to run it there, but I would still call the recoil of that load fairly stout.

Hi mate

As with any rifle, recoil is somewhat subjective and depends on how hot I load it and how heavy the rifle is. I made the 450 with a heavy barrel contour and I added two recoil reducers to the butt of the rifle. It balanced well, and weighed in at around 10.5 pounds which I find to be a good weight with a rifle like this.

With 400gn bullets I found it very comfortable to shot. Loading it with 500gn bullets gave a noticeable step up in recoil. All the load data I could find at the time quoted a top end velocity of 2400fps with a 500gn bullet. But with the 22" barrel on the rifle and the powders available to me, I could only get to 2300fps, and my working loads were around 2250fps. I was happy to run it there, but I would still call the recoil of that load fairly stout.
Thank you' that's not a bad weight to carry either. A heavy barrel would be just the thing to offset the weight of the two recoil reducers. Do you have the balance point at the front action bolt or trigger guard? I have only built a couple big bores' but find the front action bolt a little better for recoil management ' but I like weight forward guns also. A really nice looking rifle btw.

Thanks mate. I cant remember the exact balance point on that rifle, but it was very slightly muzzle heavy.

Very nice! Is the butt of the stock larger than "normal?" I only ask because I'm building my second A-Square Hannibal clone and use a copy of their "Coil Check" stock that has the enormous butt so that it shoves your entire upper body and not just your shoulder. It really works. I also put two recoil reducers in the stock. My new one will be a .458 Lott. I'm going to put scope mounts on it, but was half afraid to ever put a scope on it. But I see you're running one. Ever knock you in the noggin'? If not, I may give it a try. On my .375 Weatherby with the same stock and only one reducer, videos show the distance from eye to scope never changing. That big butt really works. So maybe I'll try a scope on the .458. Mine won't be as pretty as yours, though, as I had to go composite to get that stock :(

That is one beautifully stocked rifle. Dark grain with nearly jet black streaks. A PROPER stock for an African rifle IMHO.

In the mid 1990s, I decided I needed a bigger bore than my 375H&H. I ended up building a 450 Ackley on a Sako action. It was my first custom rifle.

In 1998 I took it on a buffalo hunt in the Zambian Luangwa valley - one of the favourite hunts I have ever done. I loaded up some 500gn Woodleigh softs and sollids for the hunt. I put one soft & 3 solids into my buffalo.

When I got back home from Zambia, I took the rifle and left over ammo on a hunt in central QLD and knocked over a few pigs. Maybe a little bit more gun than I needed for that trip, but none of the pigs complained to me.

View attachment 585197

View attachment 585198
@rifletuner
Only one problem with that lovely rifle. You need to find a different gunsmith, he put the bolt handle on the wrong side for me. I'm a left hander but unfortunately right eye dominant so have to shoot right handed.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakester1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?