Form

IMG_3929.jpeg
IMG_3931.jpeg

Something about the lines and design of the F-14 Tomcat, whether seen in the adjustable swept wing configuration or open, always spoke to me. Badass and must have struck fear into the hearts of a few Libyan pilots in the 1980s, among others.

Beautiful car, but it still has POS Jaguar engine.
Never ever had a problem with my Jaguars. Owned 4 - 2xXJ v8s , an XJR v8 and an XKR v8 convertible . All purchased new . Did big miles in all of them . Brilliant engines . Biggest disappointment mechanically - Mercedes Benz . Biggest disappointment all round - a Range Rover .

My tastes have always leaned more Teutonic when it comes to firearms. The Heym 88b over the 89b. Sacrilege I know, but that’s my take.

German O/U
IMG_5427_Original.jpeg

I absolutely agree on the E-Type.

I will also second the motion on the wonder of Jaguar engines. My experience is with the V-12, not the 6, but I do enjoy it.

I am also surprised by the reliability of my Rover. It has really been wonderful.

That said, the thing to keep in mind with both Jaguars and Land Rovers is the problems that were brought by poor financially driven engineering decisions made by British Leyland. But that's a different rant entirely.

I will disagree regarding the form of the 911. Don't get me wrong, I love classic 911s. I've owned/driven several. But their form was remarkable in that it was completely driven by function. The hood line was as low as possible to reduce windage, but the headlights needed to be that high. That "bathtub" rear end was exactly right to cover the rear engine. Completely function driven. Even the "Tea-Tray" whale tail used on the 930 was required by the height of the intercooler.

As far as airplanes go, yes, the Tomcat does look wonderful. And the story of why Iran bought the Tomcat and not the Eagle is also interesting... and has a lot to do with the difference between Air Force pilots and Naval Aviators. But when it comes to airplanes (and speaking of form following function), well:

F4U.jpeg

There is that something special that sets a truly beautiful creation apart. Immediately recognisable, most get it, if not all. Sometimes it is the line, sometimes the proportion, like the Golden Rectangle. The e-type Jaguar had it in spade fulls, it was so beautiful that Enzo called it 'the most beautiful car in the world' and commented 'the only thing wrong with it is I didn't make it'.
There are a few double rifles that fit the bill, the Heym 89b, and the Gibbs it was taken from. The barrels could have been 25inches, but 26inchrs is just right.
So what does it for you? Watches, knives, hats, and of course rifles. And yes, cars.
View attachment 600548
Kevin: That Jag does it All and I remember my Father loved the “lines” of that car, he was an Architect (also did some painting) and appreciated that car for it’s looks.

Kevin: That Jag does it All and I remember my Father loved the “lines” of that car, he was an Architect (also did some painting) and appreciated that car for it’s looks.
To the best of my knowledge it is the only car to be displayed in an art gallery.

I will also second the motion on the wonder of Jaguar engines. My experience is with the V-12, not the 6, but I do enjoy it.

I am also surprised by the reliability of my Rover. It has really been wonderful.

That said, the thing to keep in mind with both Jaguars and Land Rovers is the problems that were brought by poor financially driven engineering decisions made by British Leyland. But that's a different rant entirely.
As you can tell, I am a little biased to Jaguar, but this has also been my experience with every Jaguar and Range Rover I have owned in the past 25 years. All round fabulous vehicles that have been unfairly maligned for too long.

As you can tell, I am a little biased to Jaguar, but this has also been my experience with every Jaguar and Range Rover I have owned in the past 25 years. All round fabulous vehicles that have been unfairly maligned for too long.
Yes I am a fan of Jags ( before Leyland) . My ones were all under Ford ownership - quality / reliability second to none . My Range Rover lasted exactly 6 months . It was with the dealer for most of the time . Engine seized - a common problem we discovered and replaced under warranty , front drive shaft snapped -under warranty . A vehicle used only did 20,000 kms and never left the bitumen . I sold it while still under warranty and took a financial bath . Will never own one again .

Yes I am a fan of Jags ( before Leyland) . My ones were all under Ford ownership - quality / reliability second to none . My Range Rover lasted exactly 6 months . It was with the dealer for most of the time . Engine seized - a common problem we discovered and replaced under warranty , front drive shaft snapped -under warranty . A vehicle used only did 20,000 kms and never left the bitumen . I sold it while still under warranty and took a financial bath . Will never own one again .
The Ford years were a dark time indeed…

1713976029276.png

For cars I always loved the Porsche Carrera GT! Had a Porsche 911 Turbo some years back, great car, but always fantasized about having a Carrera GT.

For rifles - Rigby Rising bite double in 500 NE

My brother was a navy pilot so always loved the F-14 Tomcat

I will disagree regarding the form of the 911. Don't get me wrong, I love classic 911s. I've owned/driven several. But their form was remarkable in that it was completely driven by function. The hood line was as low as possible to reduce windage, but the headlights needed to be that high. That "bathtub" rear end was exactly right to cover the rear engine. Completely function driven. Even the "Tea-Tray" whale tail used on the 930 was required by the height of the intercooler.

As far as airplanes go, yes, the Tomcat does look wonderful. And the story of why Iran bought the Tomcat and not the Eagle is also interesting... and has a lot to do with the difference between Air Force pilots and Naval Aviators. But when it comes to airplanes (and speaking of form following function), well:

View attachment 601178
F4U Corsair! One of my favorites.

View attachment 601292

For cars I always loved the Porsche Carrera GT! Had a Porsche 911 Turbo some years back, great car, but always fantasized about having a Carrera GT.

1911 pistols, M60s, Husqvarna 572 chainsaws, my 2005 Dodge Cummins.

View attachment 601292

Some Porsches were very smooth and organic, this was one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atax300

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.