Flying and Mercury

Doyled96

AH member
Reaction score
So I have secured a Winchester M70 in .375. Recoils as I suspected it would be tolerable but can be improved. I am going to Africa with it and was told about the mercury recoil reducers. I'd love to have one installed into my rifle. My scare is that mercury and aluminum do not get along in any sense. I am afraid that it would be cause for my rifle to not make the trip. Has anyone had any issues with these and flying? Am I making a bigger deal about it than I should?

So I have secured a Winchester M70 in .375. Recoils as I suspected it would be tolerable but can be improved. I am going to Africa with it and was told about the mercury recoil reducers. I'd love to have one installed into my rifle. My scare is that mercury and aluminum do not get along in any sense. I am afraid that it would be cause for my rifle to not make the trip. Has anyone had any issues with these and flying? Am I making a bigger deal about it than I should?

I have without issue but I am not sure of the legality. I have gotten rid of mine. It was in a .458 Lott. I just don’t want the weight on a long track and honestly, how many shots do you really take on a hunt?

I have without issue but I am not sure of the legality. I have gotten rid of mine. It was in a .458 Lott. I just don’t want the weight on a long track and honestly, how many shots do you really take on a hunt?
Well that's another thing I have considered. This will be my first trip hopefully not my last to Africa. Doing all plains game this go around so really no need I see for quick follow up shots if needed.

Personally, I would work with the rifle and learn how to deal with the recoil. Do the easy things like making sure the lop is correct, the scope is mounted at a height that allows a good cheek weld, and use a high quality recoil pad (decelerator is my preference).

Personally, I would work with the rifle and learn how to deal with the recoil. Do the easy things like making sure the lop is correct, the scope is mounted at a height that allows a good cheek weld, and use a high quality recoil pad (decelerator is my preference).
Great, thanks for the advice!

Reactions: WAB
Good points already made. But, your question was about flying? No known issues.

Does the rifle have a wood stock, or synthetic? The lighter stock would benefit more.

Recoil reducer adds ~8 ounces of weight, reducing felt recoil on a 9lb rifle by maybe 5%? That extra weight can be an issue on a walkabout. Not so much on a vehicle-based plains game hunt.

Shoot, go have fun!

Does the rifle have a wood stock, or synthetic? The lighter stock would benefit more.

Recoil reducer adds ~8 ounces of weight, reducing felt recoil on a 9lb rifle by maybe 5%? That extra weight can be an issue on a walkabout. Not so much on a vehicle-based plains game hunt.

Shoot, go have fun!

Pick up a recoil pad that straps to your shoulder (Past) and use that for bench and field position practice. You won't notice recoil when shooting game, as long as you don't scope yourself.
Works for me with a 375 and a Lott.

Pick up a recoil pad that straps to your shoulder (Past) and use that for bench and field position practice. You won't notice recoil when shooting game, as long as you don't scope yourself.
Works for me with a 375 and a Lott.

Agreed, I use a past on the range with the big stuff.

I use these Neoprene butt pads as shown on page 9. The one without the shell holders. https://www.aaeleathercraft.com/2019-catalog

After 2 shots with my .375 H&H I change them out, as they will compress and does take some time to restore. Feels like I am shooting my .308.

My Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott was too light IMO. Something like 9 lbs naked. So I added a mercury recoil reducer an a bit of weight in the forend to keep the balance right (lead shot epoxied in a channel under the barrel.) Now it’s a bit over 10 lbs empty and w/o a scope. That’s about right for a 458 and me.

I had a 14 oz. Graco BreaKO mercury recoil reducer installed on my CZ550 375H&H that beefed up the weight to over 11 lbs. WAAAAAY to heavy for this caliber.

After having shot a 375H&H for several years I've found that a much lighter rifle is easily controllable and comfortable to shoot. As @WAB said, I'd highly recommend making sure you are properly fitted to your rifle and get a cushy recoil pad installed. Also, taking some time to become accustomed to this level of recoil because there is no quick path. Slower is faster...and by that I mean you don't want to develop a flinch. Go easy. Do plenty of dry fire and when you go to the range it will be more productive. 10 shots or less (I typically shoot two full magazines) on a weekly basis along with daily dry fire will have you in shape in no time.

For the record I'm 70" and 160 lbs and the Blaser R8 in 375H&H weighs 7.75 lbs.

After having shot a 375H&H for several years I've found that a much lighter rifle is easily controllable and comfortable to shoot. As @WAB said, I'd highly recommend making sure you are properly fitted to your rifle and get a cushy recoil pad installed. Also, taking some time to become accustomed to this level of recoil because there is no quick path. Slower is faster...and by that I mean you don't want to develop a flinch. Go easy. Do plenty of dry fire and when you go to the range it will be more productive. 10 shots or less (I typically shoot two full magazines) on a weekly basis along with daily dry fire will have you in shape in no time.
I agree with this 100% after having laid down my biggerish bores for a minute and scaling way back in shooting them. I shot two rounds last season out of my .375. This year I have fired over forty rounds in practice. I'm 100% confident in my .375. I am 72" and 155-160 lbs. depending on how many stories I have told that day... :E Lol: My wood stocked .375's are around 9#, but my Encore is closer to 8#.

As far as mercury goes...them that ask no questions...isn't told a lie. Used gun I had no idea...golly gosh geee!

Shoot, go have fun!
Check out an Edwards recoil reducer also. Those are around 8 Oz. Blaser makes a tube called a kick stop in 12 Oz and 16oz weights.

My reply here is more about the reduction in recoil. I’ve not read anywhere an estimate of only 5% recoil reduction. I have read it is closer to 20% reduction in recoil. Importantly, it helps to take the sharpness out of recoil.
My personal experience is closer to a 20% reduction. I prefer the added weight to the rifle to get a light rifle to the 9-9.5 lb range.

I have had no issues travel wise with them in my rifles. Five trips so far and no issues. They are sealed inside the stocks and not easily removed. Yes the do add weight to the rifles but I have become accustomed to carrying without issue.

Another vote for Decelerator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaPya51

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,