Fluted or standard barrel ?

ajamils

AH member
Reaction score
Looking to pick up 6.5 CM barrel for R8 and wondering if it is worth going the fluted route. From everything I've read, some people claim that it has clear advantage while others say that other than looking cool, it doesn't do anything for average shooters (those who aren't shooting hundreds of rounds)

What's the take of Blaser owners here ?

I have not shot or purchased a fluted barrel. The standard R8 barrels work great already. For me, the weight savings is not worth the added cost. I hunt in the mountains every year, a 1/2 lb less of rifle weight doesn’t matter, it is easy to mitigate that with less stuff in my backpack.

Yes, they look really cool. And yes, if you like it and really want to justify buying one, consider yourself supported in that decision!

@BeeMaa and @TOBY458 and @Philip Glass @Red Leg Have you guys used a fluted R8 barrel?

I have not shot or purchased a fluted barrel. The standard R8 barrels work great already. For me, the weight savings is not worth the added cost. I hunt in the mountains every year, a 1/2 lb less of rifle weight doesn’t matter, it is easy to mitigate that with less stuff in my backpack.

Yes, they look really cool. And yes, if you like it and really want to justify buying one, consider yourself supported in that decision!

@BeeMaa and @TOBY458 and @Philip Glass @Red Leg Have you guys used a fluted R8 barrel?
I’ve only owned one fluted R8 barrel. It was a semiweight 375 H&H barrel that came on a Jaeger that I once owned. All others have been either standard 17mm or Safari weight barrels with no flutes. I think it’s ok to have flutes on a heavier contour barrel if you want the added stiffness of the thicker barrel, with a bit of weight shaved off. But otherwise I don’t see much point in it. Like you said, it’s not a lot of weight savings, and the fluted barrels are typically much more expensive.

Run the numbers of $/oz in weight loss and you'll have your answer

Yes I have a J Sip 6.5 PRC that is fluted. I can take it or leave it. Weight savings is always good however.

Know nothing about R8’s but I’ve got a Weatherby 30-378 with a fluted barrel. Cold bore shots will stack on top of each other. Next shots will stack on top of each other as well, just two inches from where the cold bore shot was. No more fluted barrels for me.

Have shot quite a few rounds from both, fluted barrels shoot the same as non-fluted in the R8.

If weight is important, it might make sense, depending on if you want a lightest-possible carry rifle, or the reduced recoil of the heavier barrel...

If reduced weight is vital, have a carbon fiber barrel made.

Best of luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightDen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.