First bobcat

Datchew

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
School of hard knocks
Hunted
Texas, Oregon, Washington, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Maine, Tennessee
2nd one I've ever seen. About 180m out.

Was pig hunting in a beautiful Texas spring afternoon and barely caught a glimpse of this guy.

Thought it was a wounded coyote. Movement was odd, slow, up and down, sporadic. Lost him several times between binos and scope.

Finally realized it was a cat once in the reticle and he periscoped from behind a prickly pear.

Had just enough head to guess the body profile and sent it.

PXL_20240309_234157234.jpg
1000002784.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats - they are way cool predators!

Thx much
I was mounted up on a bean bag in a blind 20' off the ground. Not like it was offhand.

Pretty excited.

It will make a great mount for your home or office - has been cold enough down here to still have a great pelt, although you wouldn't know it based on the weather this past week. lol! Have you thought about how you will have it done?

Congratulations, I had this S. Texas Putty mounted in Hondo, TX. I had it mounted because nobody in Montana would believe how short the hair is on them down there. I will tell it is crossed with a Chuppacabra. Got him with a Ruger MK III hunter 22lr
IMG_2328.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
those are some nice mounts. That one has surprisingly short hair. Probably a lot of variation all over the place. I really like the way you have that one sitting on the branch like it would in a tree.

For my mount? Well I guess I'm kinda abnormal on such things.
I only have 1 dead thing in the whole house. A European whitetail. I typically only hunt for meat or to help cull predators/pigs and help take doe off ranches in late season. Never been a trophy guy for some reason.
It works well because my wife doesn't like dead things ("they're looking at me") in the house.

But to me, a bobcat is quite a rare trophy so I'm thinking a framed photo near a European head on my bookshelf will look good.

If i ever got a really nice elk (6x6 or bigger,) moose, or (next year!) a good cape buffalo, they'd go on the wall. Probably European style as well. Wife doesn't mind those as much. Says they're more "tasteful."
C'est la vie.

2nd one I've ever seen. About 180m out.

Was pig hunting in a beautiful Texas spring afternoon and barely caught a glimpse of this guy.

Thought it was a wounded coyote. Movement was odd, slow, up and down, sporadic. Lost him several times between binos and scope.

Finally realized it was a cat once in the reticle and he periscoped from behind a prickly pear.

Had just enough head to guess the body profile and sent it.

View attachment 592191View attachment 592192
Datchew: Nice well spotted Cat - congratulations. I’ve only taken one Bobcat and it was in Texas 5 years ago — called one in to 25 yrds, 12 ga lead #2s. Was thrilled, always wanted to get one and had full life size mount done ——-one of my most prized trophies….Hope you enjoy yours as well !

I never shot a bobcat except one that was chasing our goats. Must have been a female I heat close by because I saw 5 cats that afternoon.
When I was in high school fur prices were astronomical, late 70’s early 80’s so I trapped over Christmas break and on weekends. I would usually catch 8-10 a year. I caught one old tomcat that I should have mounted. One of the wildlife professors at Auburn saw the skinned and headless carcass in my dads truck and weighed it . 37 pounds, he said that was a giant of a cat for east central Alabama. I have always regretted not having him mounted but the $150 I got for him helped me buy my first car.

Congratulations! I killed my first bobcat in TX also. I had mine mounted as well however I do not have a picture of it.
Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)